Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Trouble crossing to diazepam from klonopin?

[Be...]

So I began my taper in December of last year at .5mg/day and cut it down (too quickly) to .075mg/day and was in rough shape. I found a local dr who specializes in benzo taper and they have me switching to 10mg diazepam to “reset” and taper from.

The first week brought relief however days 12-18 have felt like after a big cut.

I know some people can’t crossover at all and some have no issues. Anyone experience anything similar?

Thank you!

Did you do a slow crossover to the diazepam per Ashton?  Or did you just stop the clonazepam and start the diazepam?  If the latter, I wonder if you are experiencing a ‘coverage gap’?  Twelve to eighteen days is within the range when the last of the clonazepam would be leaving your system but the diazepam would not yet have had sufficient time to reach steady state.

Thank you for your reply!

The dr told me to stop the klonopin that day and start the Valium and it wouldn’t be problematic because we weee going up on equivalency…

You’re welcome. It sounds like your doctor might benefit from a refresher course on the pharmacokinetics of diazepam versus clonazepam.  Also, fyi, although benzodiazepine equivalencies vary depending on the evidence base used, Ashton suggested 10mg of diazepam for 0.5mg of clonazepam for the purpose of substitution.

I do not have personal experience with substitution so hope other members will provide input.

Thank you very much - I too concur but he tried to tell me they hit the same receptors and the Valium would build up quickly and I was on lower equivalent dose of klonopin at that point.

He said it would be best to go to the full equivalency dose of my starting point on the Valium and do slow a taper as possible. (He’s certainly lining his pockets… which I’m honestly fine with as long as I get out of this hole I’m in. I’d give every penny I have…)

Hi Beatbenzosbbb, I addressed my concerns on your introductory thread but this is a better place to discuss it, I'm worried about getting acclimated to the 10 mgs Valium when you were only taking .075 mg Klonopin, its too much.  As Libertas mentioned, your doctor should have crossed you over slowly, by doing this you wouldn't have had to increase your dose by almost 10x.  Do you think you can face lowering your dose before your body becomes accustomed to the 10 mg?  Hopefully, we'll get some input from other members about this.