Medicated in stay detox in hospital successful after just 4 days; screw tapering

[Be...]

I tried tapering off clozapam for decades several different times unsuccessfully. Then 5 weeks ago, I went to the hospital and got ain stay medically induced detox to get me off the benzos. I was scared, but I was safe with Dr.s and nurses present. The took me off the clozapam day 2, gave me a large dose of phenobarbotol which they cut down the next 4 days. On day 6 I was home and benzos free. It didn't hurt, it was very manageable compared to my unsuccessful tapering experiences....you still get the main withdrawal symptoms after the fact when you get home....but,hell, you are OFF the drug 100% and it was much easier, faster and rewarding to me. I am far from well, still having withdrawal but I feel netter just being off the drug. I haven't read anyone else's experience about this here....Let me tell you, for me, it was WAY easier on the body and mind NOT tapering. It was a godsend  and I think more people should be aware this is an option. Tapering isn't for everyone. You can get help to get off the benzos quickly and safley in a medical situation , then skip to the withdrawal part and healing which is where I am now. I consider myself a success story even though I am still in withdrawal..first to!e in decades I was able to get off benzos . I highly recommend this way rather than tapering....it worked much better for me. Luck to you all no matter how you do it. Its all hard_ I just couldn't handle the taper, tried maybe 100 times and  couldn't do it that way. I want that strong or patient.  This way was the best thing I ever did. I wish wellness and peace  and success to you all. :smitten:

Good for you!

I'm happy for you, you sound relieved which I totally understand.  The tapering is brutal for me, no matter what, and I often think of doing what you did just to be off the drug.  You have to go with your instincts.

I absolutely have thought about doing what you did.  I am tapering Valium and it is horrible, and this slow taper is traumatic psychologically, which is awful.

I am proud of you for speaking your truth.  I totally support you!

You don't hear much on here about the withdrawal psychosis.  It is real and sometimes we need to take care of ourselves, and if that means being detoxed in a hospital, so be it.

You'll be in my healing thoughts.

Right now this option is becoming more and more appealing to me. I’m currently stuck at 23 mg of valium. Horrific anxiety and panic attacks every single day. Every day is a fight. I don’t know how I’m supposed to get to 0 from here. Part of me wants to just say screw it and go into a hospital and have them medically detox me over the course of a week or something. I don’t know.

I tried tapering off clozapam for decades several different times unsuccessfully. Then 5 weeks ago, I went to the hospital and got ain stay medically induced detox to get me off the benzos. I was scared, but I was safe with Dr.s and nurses present. The took me off the clozapam day 2, gave me a large dose of phenobarbotol which they cut down the next 4 days. On day 6 I was home and benzos free. It didn't hurt, it was very manageable compared to my unsuccessful tapering experiences....you still get the main withdrawal symptoms after the fact when you get home....but,hell, you are OFF the drug 100% and it was much easier, faster and rewarding to me. I am far from well, still having withdrawal but I feel netter just being off the drug. I haven't read anyone else's experience about this here....Let me tell you, for me, it was WAY easier on the body and mind NOT tapering. It was a godsend  and I think more people should be aware this is an option. Tapering isn't for everyone. You can get help to get off the benzos quickly and safley in a medical situation , then skip to the withdrawal part and healing which is where I am now. I consider myself a success story even though I am still in withdrawal..first to!e in decades I was able to get off benzos . I highly recommend this way rather than tapering....it worked much better for me. Luck to you all no matter how you do it. Its all hard_ I just couldn't handle the taper, tried maybe 100 times and  couldn't do it that way. I want that strong or patient.  This way was the best thing I ever did. I wish wellness and peace  and success to you all. :smitten:

Congrats on being off! Now the healing is on the way. Not many will come on here and talk about a successful medical detox. Kudos to you for giving hope to those who need this as an option and its probably their only option. There are so many people who literally cant taper for various reasons and need to be informed on other options.

Rebecca29,

My symptoms now are basic withdrawal symptoms, however not painful like when I was on benzos or trying to taper. Every symptom now is easier and lighter to manage. Moore like I have the flu instead of crazy writhing hell. I had to relearn to eat, took a few weeks to get food in, but that is 100% better now and my appetite is back. Panic Attacks, but they are way better than before. Manageable, Ihave anxiety disorder and PTSD, so I just have to learn to have them not on meds....sleep is rough ,I have nightmares and some paranoia, but that also is getting better 5 weeks off all benzos. Before these symptoms were debilitating,while on pills and when I tried to taper it was hell and a totally different feeling. Being OFF the pills, makes this all manageable, dare I say....easy. Yes, compared to tapering and even being on the pills, this is all way easier. I think no matter how we quit_ we still have symptoms till we relearn how to be.....so why not skip that first horrible part of tapering. I achieved in 4 days what I never could in years. To anyone who will listen; being medically detoxed in 4 days is way better and easier before during and after benzos. Wish I had done it sooner and not wasted so much time just quitting. The symptoms now are normal and just need time to relearn how to manage them / or the other symptoms are actually going away. Its SO nice....I can't even tell you enough how much easier this is now.  ::)

You are very lucky I was detoxed in ten days and didn’t have such a good outcome and still having bad sxs almost six months later

Rebecca,  sorry to hear. I am still uncomfortable, don't get me wrong...but I understand I have years of that drug still in me  and this will take time to relearn. I also think this gets worse before it gets better....hold on girl, this too shall pass. I think your doing great just being off the pills... No way is easy, but if you were still on them or tapering , you'd be worse. Small steps and be patient....that's what I'm doing. I'm just glad to be off the shit, any symptom is better to me than being on it or trying to still quit. You got this, give it somemore time. Luck to you girl.

I too was in a hospital I made the mistake on following their advice to take a sleep aid and I am now having worse issues tapering that.

Ugh.... I was also on ambient, the Dr.s did tell me to stop that at the same time as my benzos , they said it could cause me to go into psychosis,hallucinate or even get addicted to it. So they did tell me. I was happy to quit it too. I'd rather not sleep than have those symptoms on top of it all. I take nothing now. Sorry  they did you wrong.

They did say I would be "fine"  in a weeks time with no symptoms....lol -Dr.s are fun  :-\

Right now this option is becoming more and more appealing to me. I’m currently stuck at 23 mg of valium. Horrific anxiety and panic attacks every single day. Every day is a fight. I don’t know how I’m supposed to get to 0 from here. Part of me wants to just say screw it and go into a hospital and have them medically detox me over the course of a week or something. I don’t know.

I am down to 13mg of valium and am really stuck, too.  I'm considering a hospital detox, also.

I switched from xanax to an ashton valium crossover a year ago.  Went from 40mg valium equivalent with using her xanax plus valium crossover, then to 25mg just valium after crossover was done.  Now down to 13mg and I'm just tired of feeling the horror of taking the valium and experiencing paradoxical symptoms plus the w/d symtoms.  Valium is worse in some ways than tapering the xanax. God, these drugs!  Tapering is brutal, especially with a lot of responsibilities on my end right now being the sole caretaker of my 93 year old mother who is losing her vision.  That is just one stressor!

Not jumping on the bandwagon but sometimes i wonder myself, when i switched over from Xanax to Valium i know your suppose to do at least 2 week crossover or more but i couldnt wait and just did it in one day even though i had the choice to take as long as i wanted to cross over. It was hard, for two days i basically went through some bad stuff but after about day 3 i was done and crossed over to Valium. Sure made it alot easier than the 4-6 week crossover that was suggested by Ashton manual. I sometimes wonder if its not better just to cut quick and get off this stuff and just put up with the hard times in the beginning so it doesnt turn into a slow burn, kinda like ripping a bandaid off.

• 1 month later...
i got detoxed too at a psych facility. My taper attempts didn't work. Glad it worked for yoy as it did for me, but it can be dicey.