Benzo advocacy Europe

[Co...]

What else to ask for besides written informed consent and perhaps black box warnings for new patients rights?

I'd also fight for more transparent regarding complaint procedures and punishment about doctors' behaviour.

I wonder if the International Institute for Psychiatric Drug Withdrawal might be of assistance? One of its goals is to ‘Support the human right to informed choice with regard to psychiatric drugs.’

Link:

https://iipdw.org/

Thanks for sharing that Libertas, I'll have a look as well. 

When I read this post I was thinking about this Benzo Information Consortium that has a lot of good information.  This Informed Consent in my opinion is spot on with regards to clearly flagging the risk of the medicine and allowing the patient to sign on.  They also have a lot of other good information on there.  To your point Cocodot, I do think we need to broaden the advocacy for those of you who are suffering trhough withdrawal and through use of benzos.

https://www.benzoinfo.com/informed-consent/

The trouble is they close ranks in medical profession. I complained to umpteen organisations about being forced to CT zopiclone, got nowhere. Asked for copy of notes when I went to see GP originally, she lied and said I had agreed to just stop, They have known for years that these drugs can cause addiction and need be tapered off, but just ignore the guidelines. They dish out anti depressants like candy, even though they can also cause withdrawal problems.

She cannot prove you agreed to stop though. Like the burden of proof where I live is on the doctor to show informed consent, not the patient.

Not here, the surgery told me I was beyond their capabilities, saying in not so many words I was mentally ill. Every regulatory body I complained to dismissed it, saying they could only “ advise” what GP’s do. My surgery has an awful reputation, they just dismissed what I said had actually happened. There needs to be intervention so they are forced to adhere to the guidelines, it just doesn’t happen here.

The trouble is they close ranks in medical profession. I complained to umpteen organisations about being forced to CT zopiclone, got nowhere. Asked for copy of notes when I went to see GP originally, she lied and said I had agreed to just stop, They have known for years that these drugs can cause addiction and need be tapered off, but just ignore the guidelines. They dish out anti depressants like candy, even though they can also cause withdrawal problems.

I'm reading "Anatomy of an Epidemic" and they. have known since at least 1960 when Librium hit the market and the psychiatric community began badmouthing Miltown, which was the original Benzo. in 1961, the first research paper written by Leo Hollister detailed the horrible withdrawal effects of Librium, which was pretty close to when Librium hit the market. 

That means they have known for 62 years about the dangers of Benzodiazepines, but it is 2023 right now and medical professionals give them out more openly and easily than it is to buy a squirt gun in your local department store.

Yes and even to people who ask specifically if it's safe and that don't want anything like that etc. And most people with sleep and anxiety suffer from hormonal issues instead but they don't bother running a blood test and neurological issues even there there are safer options.

Don’t give them out easily in UK anymore, but are more making everybody forcibly stop them without tapering. You are right about hormonal issues, my insomnia was caused by the menopause, but was just given zopiclone told they were non addictive, never reviewed the whole 12 years was on them. They seem to hand out anti psychotics freely, psych tried to put put me on 2 different ones.

That's horrible for anyone on them but at least lucky for newer users that won't be given them. I wish they were more serious about that here in October. Now since February they are a bit but that's too late for me.

Yeah, mine because of cortizone and rivotril isn't even a sleeping one.

I managed to get in touch with Dr. Christy Huff, she provided me more materials to use in my attempt to change local legislation here.

Don’t give them out easily in UK anymore, but are more making everybody forcibly stop them without tapering. You are right about hormonal issues, my insomnia was caused by the menopause, but was just given zopiclone told they were non addictive, never reviewed the whole 12 years was on them. They seem to hand out anti psychotics freely, psych tried to put put me on 2 different ones.

I do recognize this though. Like I was prescribed literally against my request multiple times and fell into the rivotril trap because it was therapists recommending it, but indeed, it was no problem to just prescribe them and then I got dependent and couldn't stop and suddenly the GP refused. So insane.