Insomnia linked to gut issues?

[Fi...]

Having dealt with this benzo insomnia horror show for a good many years now, I'm starting to witness some trends. It seems like every time I have a 0 hour night, it's due to some kind of gastro flare up. In fact any time my symptoms flare up, my guts are in rough shape. I bloat up really badly, with a lot of pressure under my left rib and if that's happening I know sleeping is just impossible. I'll literally jolt awake the entire night as soon as I approach sleep.

Just wish I knew what set me off. There's almost no rhyme or reason to it. Something I did okay with one day, I'll suffer from the next. Maybe it's some kind of threshold where it's like, hey you got off Scott free this time but if you eat this again you're gonna be in a world of hurt.

Anyway, wish I could figure the gut stuff out. Wish I could find a way to heal it. Seems like a lot of issues stem from there.

Dunno, ramblings from somebody whose been awake 32 hours now. :-\

• 3 weeks later...

I've been wondering about this too. Not because Ive noticed any patterns like this with myself, but because of growing general discuss about how so much more is linked to our gut than we've ever imagined.

I thankfully don't have any gut issues but as I reach my wits end, I cant help but wonder if there's something I should try to explore anyway. Alas, not sure I have the motivation, energy, or any decent places to start any experiments from. The most I've done is COMPLETELY cut out sugar after a certain time of day (or really, at all. I just don't do it), and maybe have noticed that corn late at night keeps me up - other because its hard to digest, high glycemic index, or both. Also stopped coffee even though I'm not sure whether thats smart given how it can also be helpful for our brain health.

Eh... so confusing.

Hope you've found some sleep.

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately it's happening again and much worse than the last time. Got 4 hours of sleep 28 hours ago, and noticed my gut issues getting worse and worse until finally sleep completely dried up. It feels like my guts are churning but I'm also bloated to hell. They are sensitive to the touch and it feels like an inflated ball under my left ribs.  Used to get these symptoms bad during early withdrawal, and they also caused intense insomnia.

Good god this is beyond miserable. I'm completely bedbound, the fatigue is out of this world horrible and the painful sick like feelings are unbearable. What on earth is going on so far out for me??

• 1 month later...

Having dealt with this benzo insomnia horror show for a good many years now, I'm starting to witness some trends. It seems like every time I have a 0 hour night, it's due to some kind of gastro flare up. In fact any time my symptoms flare up, my guts are in rough shape. I bloat up really badly, with a lot of pressure under my left rib and if that's happening I know sleeping is just impossible. I'll literally jolt awake the entire night as soon as I approach sleep.

Just wish I knew what set me off. There's almost no rhyme or reason to it. Something I did okay with one day, I'll suffer from the next. Maybe it's some kind of threshold where it's like, hey you got off Scott free this time but if you eat this again you're gonna be in a world of hurt.

Anyway, wish I could figure the gut stuff out. Wish I could find a way to heal it. Seems like a lot of issues stem from there.

Dunno, ramblings from somebody whose been awake 32 hours now. :-\

Same for me.

I found out I had SIBO.

I took anti bacterial herbs like oregano oil, berberine, calamus root, neem, raw garlic, PHGG fiber, and cut out all probiotics.

Also do intermittent fasting around 20 hours twice a week.

85% of my bloating and weird benzo belly wake ups in the middle of the night went away.

It took about a year to fix it.

I sleep much better now..