Anyone know of group like Benzobuddies for self tapering Opioid Dependency?

[go...]

Hi!  This group helped me be successful in tapering slowly off valium a few years ago.  Does anyone know of any similar group for tapering off of prescription or even non-prescription oxycodone or opioids?  I am dependent, not addicted.  My oxy has always been by prescription and I have no cravings and have reduced my dose by half on my own.  But I sure could use support and advice and guidance from others who have been through it.  I have looked and cannot find anything other than thousands of advertisements for Rehab and Detox centers.  I don't want to go on buprenorphine or any other substitute.  Please help!

Hi!  This group helped me be successful in tapering slowly off valium a few years ago.  Does anyone know of any similar group for tapering off of prescription or even non-prescription oxycodone or opioids?  I am dependent, not addicted.  My oxy has always been by prescription and I have no cravings and have reduced my dose by half on my own.  But I sure could use support and advice and guidance from others who have been through it.  I have looked and cannot find anything other than thousands of advertisements for Rehab and Detox centers.  I don't want to go on buprenorphine or any other substitute.  Please help!

I am tapering off kratom, I started that as I came off opiates.

Kratom acts on opiate receptors.

I use groups on reddit.

I did find this after a quick look on there r/OpiatesRecovery

I hope they can help and support you.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you.  I really don't want to substitute any other drug for the oxy.  May have to use Flexeril reluctantly due to horrible back pain from oxy taper.

Anybody else know of any oxy withdrawal support groups or anything of help?

I don't know of any support groups for opiate w/d, the subreddit journey posted might be your only option. I've visited the subreddit for benzo w/d.

I successfully tapered off of hydromorphone back in 2015. It is much easier getting off opiates than benzos. Cut doses as I tolerated, all the way down. Stepped off at 2.5 mg. Went through the 'two weeks of hell' (vomiting, diarrhea, no appetite, shaky), ended up in ER severely dehydrated, then PAWS for a year (restless legs, occasional mild panic attack). One day it was all past me. I did it on my own. My doctor supported me. Suboxone or methadone was not an option for me. I still get doctors asking me which I'm on, and are surprised when I reply "Neither."

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, BenzoLottie.  Good going.  Did you get crippling back pain from your hydropmorphone taper?  My back pain is severe.  I found it easier to get off benzo than oxy.  But, I was still on oxy when I tapered the benzo.  So maybe it's just that whatever one we are on last is the worst because no other drug is reducing the symptoms.  I have been off benzo for 3.5 years.  If I were to take a 2 mg. V@alium just twice a week do you think I would get dependent again?

Wow, BenzoLottie.  Good going.  Did you get crippling back pain from your hydropmorphone taper?  My back pain is severe.  I found it easier to get off benzo than oxy.  But, I was still on oxy when I tapered the benzo.  So maybe it's just that whatever one we are on last is the worst because no other drug is reducing the symptoms.  I have been off benzo for 3.5 years.  If I were to take a 2 mg. V@alium just twice a week do you think I would get dependent again?

Just in case you're not aware of the possibility of kindling taking benzo's PRN. Kindling

I did not have back pain. I was reducing my dose the 5 years I was going to the pain management clinic, with the support of my doctor. It was therefore very gradual. The lasy year, I cut and held off the remaining dose. The oxy probably masked some benzo symptoms.

I'd avoid taking Valium, even twice a week. You're playing with fire. People have been thrown back into acute from a single benzo pill.

• 2 months later...

Thank you BenzoLottie.

I will definitely stay away from all benzos.  I have been able to bring my oxycodone dose down from 60 mg last fall to 12 mg as of mid-April.  Most of it was only a 10% taper rate but even with that, since January my back pain has been excruciating (and never had bad back pain before.)  In an attempt to speed through the back pain I took my taper rate up to 30% for just 2 weeks and heavy withdrawal ensued.  I am just now starting to have a tolerable day here and there.  Since March I mostly only got 2 hours sleep per night and have had bad anxiety and restless legs. 

So, once I stabilize I will have 12 mg left.  My plan is to take that very slow. 

Do you have any idea what your likely opioid taper rate was per 2 week period? I am wondering if I might need to taper at a 5% rate to avoid the back pain. 

I am determined not to go on any other replacement drug!!!

Do you have any idea what your likely opioid taper rate was per 2 week period? I am wondering if I might need to taper at a 5% rate to avoid the back pain. 

I am determined not to go on any other replacement drug!!!

I didn't have a rate, didn't even have a plan. I just came in for monthly visit, and told doc I needed to adjust my dose downward. He was more that happy to do so. I was feeling fine, as long as I felt fine, he was fine with what I was doing. My body adjusted. I was a long-term user of opioids for chronic pain, and to prevent tolerance and updosing, I would periodically reduce my dose. If you are having a lot of symptoms, you probably went too fast and cut too much. I did go by my symptoms, and that is what my doctor would ask about. I really had none until I jumped off. But far easier than benzos. If I knew about NAD+ then, I would have done it. As it is, I used it to jump of diazepam.