Doc won't do substitution for Temazepam

[Se...]

So I just got back from my GP.  He has been giving me my prescriptions for 30 mg temazepam which has stopped working, now getting maybe 3-4 hours sleep.  Told him I wanted get off and showed him the chart from Ashton.  He would not change to diazepam, said I would be fine tapering the temazepam.  He said he has worked with other patients (he is in his 30's), he is going by  his own clinical experience plus the prescribing would be too complicated (ie to much bother).  I am so angry, disrespected, treated like crap.  Such  typical bullshit Doc knows best.  I challenged him but he was not backing down, started talking about referring me to a shrink.  Offered to give me script for 7.5 temazepam and one for Tramadol which I may consider for sleep.  I took the scripts reluctantly.  I had not calculated I would be in this position.  Wished I had just said I'll think it over.

He also wants to be charge of how I taper.

What all do you think?  Find another doc?  Will  this work?  He wants to taper in increments of 7.5 over 4 months. 

I have a reason to think I may not be so addicted as I had to go off Xanax years ago and did not have any reaction.  But I was on Temazepam at the same time, and that was 10 years ago

Also is there a way to prescribe the Diazepam that is easy?  I would think a script for 5mg and one for 2mg give all possibilities, cutting the 2's in half

I’m sorry to hear your doctor dismissed your ideas and concerns but we do have members who have tapered directly from Temazepam so it’s possible. 

I’m not sure I understand what he’s proposing in the way of a taper, can you clarify what you mean by taper in increments of 7.5 over 4 months?

Are you considering getting another prescriber, is that why you’re asking about Diazepam?

Research the tramadol.  It is a synthetic opioid, but ninth less, addictive and I had a hell of a time getting off it years ago.  Not trying to scare you, but just know what facts are out there.  The doctors will tell you it's non-addictive!

Thanks Pamster.  The taper he suggests is to decrease by 7.5mg per month.  So starting at 30g, the first month wold be 22.5, then, next month 15, and so one.  After 4 months I would be finished.  I could divide the powder in half and go slower.  Do that for 2 weeks, then pick up the full dose for 2 weeks.

Yes I was thinking of getting a second opinion.  This doctor is now toxic I don't know if I want to see him again

Do you think this is too fast?

Widesky thanks for catching that -For sleep he recommended trazadone (sorry I misspelled and referred to tramadol!) which is an antidepressant.  I don't want to take it but I have a history of depression so it might be called for.

These docs don't really know much about how these drugs work and everyone if different.  Its a world of unknowns to me.

A 4 month taper does sound too fast but its tough to know how it’s going to go until you get started.  I honestly don’t understand why doctors won’t let us manage our own tapers, this guidance is spot on in my view. Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

I would try to at least get him to agree that if your symptoms are unmanageable that he’ll allow you to slow it down, there is no reason for any doctor to torture their patients by demanding fealty to a taper that leaves them non-functional.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank You Pamster.  Still considering my options.  The Temazepam is now working as it was preciously which has given me a bit of breathing room to consider how to go about this.  In the meantime my insurer chargers 20x more for a reduced dosage of Temazepam!  I would rather just take out some of the powder in the capsule, not a very accurate method.  I'll look for information on this on the site, but if you know where to point me that would be helpful> 

Thanks!

I’m glad to hear you’ve gotten some relief but we’re not organized enough for me to point out where you can find information about tapering Temazepam.  ::)  Thse search functions are much better than the one the forum has so you could try searching. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=251991.0

You can also start a thread on the titration board, I’m sure someone will stop by to lend a hand. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=164.0