People that develop tolerance fast, are considered slow or fast metabolizers?

[ne...]

• 2 months later...
i have no answers but am tuning in cause im wondering the same. i devloped tollerance to Xanax extremely fast... like within 1-2 months max i start having interdose withdrawls and feel nothing from it within 2-4 weeks. Strange thing is though when i crossed over to valium it takes 8-10 days after a cut to feel anything. Does that mean i have a fast metabolism or its slow?

Hey, I'm gonna post here the reply NathanArizona gave me on another thread. Seems to make a lot of sense to me.

I don't think building tolerance quickly really comes down to being a fast or slow metaboliser. Just an opinion, but I think it's more how quickly your nervous system/brain adapts to what these drugs are doing. So you take a GABA positive allosteric modulator (benzo or z-drug) which makes GABA much more effective at binding to it's receptors. The brain doesn't like that. It wants to operate at a certain point in terms of GABA inhibition and Glutamate excitation and these drugs have gone and changed that operating point. The brain tries to restore things to where they were before we took the drug. So, you stop making as much GABA, or some of the receptors are pruned off, or you make more glutamate, or some combination of all three and probably three more things we haven't thought of or understand. When this happens much of the effect of the drug has been mitigated and you have to take more to get the same effect.

I consider myself having fast metabolism as I lose weight very easily.i may be wrong. The speed my tolerance seem to appear was after just taking twice. The third time the 2 mg nor 4mg dose didn't touch my anxietyso ended up taking 6mg then 8mg once, so extremely fast for me! I used in total four weeks

Hi Birdypie,

Thanks for contributing to this thread. To be honest, I don't know if the food metabolism is the same as drug metabolism and if there is a relationship between them. I do know drugs are metabolized by a handful of liver enzymes, and that there is a CYP3A enzyme test that can be done to find out if you are a slow or fast drug metabolizer, but it's only available in the US.

I am sorry you hit tolerance so fast. I am also one of those short term users, but on the contrary, I would describe myself as a slow drug metabolizer. Always thought that maybe I got a higher than normal dose and that made me dependent on them fast.  ???

Sending healing vibes to you all!

:smitten:

Hey, I'm gonna post here the reply NathanArizona gave me on another thread. Seems to make a lot of sense to me.

Nathan is a very reliable source for information. He's been here a long time and knows his stuff.

I do know drugs are metabolized by a handful of liver enzymes, and that there is a CYP3A enzyme test that can be done to find out if you are a slow or fast drug metabolizer, but it's only available in the US.

Outside the US, if you have a genealogy test done, and you have the file from the company that did the test, you can use the Promethease website to see the results of CYP3A. Just upload the file, and enter CYP3A in the search. Promethease is US based, and it accepts many files from many company's. Here is a list of providers: https://faq.promethease.com/en/article/from-which-providers-can-i-upload-my-raw-dna-data-to-promethease. Genes For Good is not listed, but it is what I used, though their format is like 23andMe, as they use the same process. I had no problems using my file there. It tells me I am a normal metabolizer.

I use temazepam nightly and Xanax prn for a long long time but didn't know I was habituated until I developed tinnitus, no other symptoms except difficulty staying asleep.  I find that amazing now that Ive read so many stories!

Alycat

Thanks a million times BenzoLottie!  :hug:

You are a tresure-trove of information. Hope you are doing well these days and wish you luck with your iontophoresis NAD+ experiment!

:smitten: