How many had to cold turkey due to paradoxical effects?

[Gr...]

The biggest reason I had to go C/T was because of paradoxical effects, they would either hit me right after consumption or about a and a half afterwards which was frightening just how other worldly those symptoms were. The issue with paradoxical, is its not well defined what counts as a paradoxical effect. You'd think that Increased anxiety would be the opposite of a anxiety relief tablet but for me I'd feel my limbs floating away sinking into my bed and the most horrific bodily sensations possible. I hardly hear anyone talk about being forced to go C/T from paradoxical effects or having symptoms ramp up after taking their benzo.

Yeah me!! Kept going on and off because I knew they were "addictive", and thought it was best way. Obviously not!!! last stint they were making me really ill, so thought I'd just stop and I'd be OK in a few weeks. Nope, not worked since going 0n 32 months and still in bed most of the time

I didn't cold turkey, but I did my taper as fast as I reasonably thought I could because I was having inter-dose withdrawal in the afternoons from my single nighttime dose.

I was sort of forced into cold turkey because my WD symptoms were hitting me anyway by the end of the day. In hindsight I wish I had switched to a valium taper but I had a shitty doctor who didnt know what that was.

After my  first ct attempt i reinstated 6 weeks later and was tapered way to fast from 30 mg valium to 0.5mg in 2.5 months. I was sometimes paradoxical from the begining but it was manageable but when o hit 0.5 mg my paradoxical reactions became so severe i had to jump and then all the hell broke loose. My mom had to drove me to psych ward because i was loosing touch with reality. At least i know i will never ever put a benzo in my mouth again.

i went ct because I was stupid. I did no research and just thought i would rip yhe bandaid off and then get on with life. So stupid. I was actually better on the drugs than i am now. I fear i will never get heal. i am not completely bed ridden but i am close. If my sleep doesnt come back soon then i will probably be stuck in bed. I look back and wish I would have been a little smarter about all of this.

I went CT for three reasons: 1) stigma and low quality of life - hated all the meds I was on; 2) frustration after 3 years trying to find a new neurologist to help me wean off these drugs. No one would touch me while dependent on benzos and opiods; 3) my dr was apparently in trouble with the state for overprescribing and MIA on my last appointment. At that point, I had three choices: 1) “safe” medical detox (rehab); 2) “safe” medical detox (psych ward); 3) do it on my own and risk death. I chose the rehab because it looked and sounded more pleasant than a psych hospital. Boy, was I wrong and ended up in one anyway. Although I’m still sifting through the ashes, I’m still here, getting stronger every day and have lived to tell my tale, even if most people aren’t listening.

The biggest reason I had to go C/T was because of paradoxical effects, they would either hit me right after consumption or about a and a half afterwards which was frightening just how other worldly those symptoms were. The issue with paradoxical, is its not well defined what counts as a paradoxical effect. You'd think that Increased anxiety would be the opposite of a anxiety relief tablet but for me I'd feel my limbs floating away sinking into my bed and the most horrific bodily sensations possible. I hardly hear anyone talk about being forced to go C/T from paradoxical effects or having symptoms ramp up after taking their benzo.

Had to cold turkey due to damage the drugs were doing to my health - spent months in emergency rooms because of them until i discovered it was the drugs that did it -so felt forced to cold turkey- couldnt bear taking something that i discovered was poisoning me

• 1 month later...

I was sort of forced into cold turkey because my WD symptoms were hitting me anyway by the end of the day. In hindsight I wish I had switched to a valium taper but I had a shitty doctor who didnt know what that was.

Looks like I am in this club. I have always had paradoxical reactions, but it has gotten worse in the last 3 months, and I can't stabilize. Interdose wd is a daily norm for me as well.

I pulled your post specifically, because my last and 3ed dose is always the worst.

I tapered seroquel in half last month (It was killling me) and that helped with many sxs I was experiencing. However, even prior to the seroquel reduction, I just couldn't get stable on the xanax.

I am at a very high dose, so a CT is out. I am having to live with a cut that is not doing much, as any higher cuts paradox. Just miserable and acute most of the time.

Did anyone here cut lower than was appropriate, get through it, and stabilize? Or, did those cuts start to eventually paradox.

This is a small group, don't know if I will get a response, but worth a shot.

Thanks

-Dove

• 2 months later...

i didnt cold turkey, but with how insanely horrid and difficult my taper was, i ended up jumping after id forgotten a morning dose. itd been torture, i just couldnt take chopping up those little crumbs anymore and suffering.

but ill never ever forget the night 3-4 days later when acute really hit me... it was like being poisoned and thrown out of a plane...

• 1 month later...

I didn't  CT either... but tempted to first -due to a failed Reinstatement after too rapid Klonopin taper.... but I was too scared to CT ... so I went to a 4 week rapid detox in a psych ward after I was reinstated for 5 weeks and reacting totally paradoxical on it with akasthisia and panic and crying spells... the akasthisia stopped soon while detox and mood got better, too.... but now I'm in full blown acute withdrawal... day 12 off...

Actually compared to a 5% A month Micro Taper a 4 week long rapid cessation of 1mg Klonopin is still somewhat close to a Cold Turkey!

You buddies think it makes a big difference to CT or rapidly taper the same amount over 4 weeks?

I didn't  CT either... but tempted to first -due to a failed Reinstatement after too rapid Klonopin taper.... but I was too scared to CT ... so I went to a 4 week rapid detox in a psych ward after I was reinstated for 5 weeks and reacting totally paradoxical on it with akasthisia and panic and crying spells... the akasthisia stopped soon while detox and mood got better, too.... but now I'm in full blown acute withdrawal... day 12 off...

Actually compared to a 5% A month Micro Taper a 4 week long rapid cessation of 1mg Klonopin is still somewhat close to a Cold Turkey!

You buddies think it makes a big difference to CT or rapidly taper the same amount over 4 weeks?

BTW where did you find a psych ward willing to do a four-week long taper? I have never heard of such a thing. Usually I hear they rip people off the meds too fast. Also, insurance doesn't cover hospital time for a longer taper.

Hi Rebecca,... I live in Germany... That's why... I'm German American... in our country they give us at least 3 or 4 weeks of a rapid taper in a facillity...and our insurances pay a few more weeks than in America...  but also here in Germany people really complain to be sent home when acute withdrawal just started... insurances here usually pay 5 to 6 weeks in total for detox...but doctors and facillities in Germany don't know any better about Benzo withdrawal either...

Looks like I am in this club. I have always had paradoxical reactions, but it has gotten worse in the last 3 months, and I can't stabilize. Interdose wd is a daily norm for me as well.

I pulled your post specifically, because my last and 3ed dose is always the worst.

I tapered seroquel in half last month (It was killling me) and that helped with many sxs I was experiencing. However, even prior to the seroquel reduction, I just couldn't get stable on the xanax.

I am at a very high dose, so a CT is out. I am having to live with a cut that is not doing much, as any higher cuts paradox. Just miserable and acute most of the time.

Did anyone here cut lower than was appropriate, get through it, and stabilize? Or, did those cuts start to eventually paradox.

This is a small group, don't know if I will get a response, but worth a shot.

Thanks

-Dove

Dove, How much Seroquel were you on? What was your experience on that? I’m currently tapering and have had issues with it. Hate this med and want off it so badly.

Seroquel is a very difficult drug.  I have tried since to taper it, each time, after a 5 day delay, I felt like I was going out of my mind, and had to reinstate. Those  cuts set me back in relation to tapering xanax.

I have not tried to cut it since last December, and the xanax  sxs started to calm down. 2 months ago, I felt my body pushing for a xanax cut, and I have been able to do a xanax taper, with success.

I am currently at 500 mg of seroquel. I will taper it until either I finish my xanax taper, or my body tells me to get off.

Here is a link to the seroquel support group:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=163390.0

Be well-Dove

The xanax had no affect on the Seroquel sxs for me.  It felt like mental anguish. 

this is a wonderful blog where Quinn has done extensive research on histamine, which gets released as we decrease many medicatons. I would suggest reading through here.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=266239.0

Between the seroquel group, and this blog, I think you will have access to information that can help you move forward.

click "new topic" at the top left of your screen. You can then create a label, then post in it.  Its easy, you can do it. I have a lot of seroquel data, I am going to post it in a new blog. Everything I have learned is in there.

As to your taper question, Hopefully you can get some input

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=277817.msg3457302#msg3457302