Present moment ideology

[Be...]

I hear so many teachings about meditation and present moment, surrender experiences...

I have read books like untethered soul by Michael A singer, Eckhart Tolle's power of now and also listened to many gurus...Joe Dispenza ....I come to some sort of conclusion that all these can be easier done when you haven't gone through some kind of trauma like this benzo process or psyche drug injury.....I guess they really apply to life and self improvement but I have always felt the more I practiced these the more frustrated I became... Honestly speaking before I went through this process I was always at peace and didn't need to always bring myself back to my breath...

Could some one chip in with some discussion to make this topic broader and more exciting yet insightful....

Benny Bexlan

• 2 weeks later...

No.... You haven't.  I have had some pretty bad waves lately... and tried to practice Michael Singer's techniques, of interrupting intrusive thoughts, and cortisol surges by chanting, meditation, etc.

I get that these techniques are helpful during regular anxiety times,  but with my body shaking, adrenalin pumping, and tinnitus and my breathing out of whack, they failed miserably.

When I'm doing hard time, a massage or a hot bath, or a good cry, works better.   

Looking for methods you may not find one, but looking for inspiration you can find it. Pema Chodron is good. It's good to read her very slowly phrase by phrase. Very inspirational for me.

Hi Bexlan,

Agree with you. I tried to follow the teachings of some of those guys and others but it didn't make that much of a difference in my situation with the exception of breathing. We wait for immediate changes/benefits and that's where I think the problem begins. For mindfulness and meditation to have an effect takes a long time in my opinion. However I have a good experience with breathing. I do deep diaphragm breathings in the morning and before sleep and helps me tremendously, specially at night. Ten deep slow breathings and knocks me out.

Talking about mindfulness. I take cold showers too and I tell you what, there is nothing more mindful that be in a cold shower. If you can stand it, while you are on it, there is not better "here and now". You won't think about any thing but just the cruel cold drops hitting your body. Believe or not there are a lot of physical and mental benefits. This is one of the routines where you get immediate rewards. We need, if we can and I know is difficult while tapering or in withdrawal, get out of the comfort zone that keep us thinking about benzos or our physical condition all day. Give it a try. It works for me.

The only thing that works for me is telling myself that everything is alright and positive self talk.  I do believe all these self-help and meditation books and stuff are for people who are not brain injured.

Bexlan ... interesting topic ...

Regarding "present moment" ... one "twist" on this may be "I do not have to do anything to get into my present moment" ... no mindfulness, no breathing, no surrender ... I only need to acknowledge that I am already there ... I am always there ... there is no struggle or practice that will get me "more" there ...

The next question might be "now that I am accepting that I am in this present moment, having accepted that I am never outside of my present moment and there is no need for some effort to return - what would I like to do now?" ... what is possible while I am living in this present moment of my existence? ...

(All I know for sure, is that for me to escape this present moment all I would need to do is to attempt to have a cold shower ... that would propel right into breakout mode.  :D ... )

What I "do" while living in my present moment, how I "respond" to living in my present moment, is much more interesting ... how can I sustain myself, right here, right now, is my focus ...

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been here for a couple of weeks as I want to get into real life and kind of move on...

But I can relate to what most of you are saying....

If we had known of such practices before benzo withdrawal maybe we would be in a better place and we wouldn't have consumed these drugs...Who knows..

But having gone through this process,I concluded life has different hells.... Never in my life did I think human beings could endure so much....

Like these present moment groups I joined on Facebook,all I see is people getting frustrated while applying these principles....

I pray we all heal fully and get to enjoy life untethered...

Bexlan

Bexlan ... interesting topic ...

Regarding "present moment" ... one "twist" on this may be "I do not have to do anything to get into my present moment" ... no mindfulness, no breathing, no surrender ... I only need to acknowledge that I am already there ... I am always there ... there is no struggle or practice that will get me "more" there ...

The next question might be "now that I am accepting that I am in this present moment, having accepted that I am never outside of my present moment and there is no need for some effort to return - what would I like to do now?" ... what is possible while I am living in this present moment of my existence? ...

(All I know for sure, is that for me to escape this present moment all I would need to do is to attempt to have a cold shower ... that would propel right into breakout mode.  :D ... )

What I "do" while living in my present moment, how I "respond" to living in my present moment, is much more interesting ... how can I sustain myself, right here, right now, is my focus ...

This is beautifully written....Thank you..

Hi Bexlan,

Agree with you. I tried to follow the teachings of some of those guys and others but it didn't make that much of a difference in my situation with the exception of breathing. We wait for immediate changes/benefits and that's where I think the problem begins. For mindfulness and meditation to have an effect takes a long time in my opinion. However I have a good experience with breathing. I do deep diaphragm breathings in the morning and before sleep and helps me tremendously, specially at night. Ten deep slow breathings and knocks me out.

Talking about mindfulness. I take cold showers too and I tell you what, there is nothing more mindful that be in a cold shower. If you can stand it, while you are on it, there is not better "here and now". You won't think about any thing but just the cruel cold drops hitting your body. Believe or not there are a lot of physical and mental benefits. This is one of the routines where you get immediate rewards. We need, if we can and I know is difficult while tapering or in withdrawal, get out of the comfort zone that keep us thinking about benzos or our physical condition all day. Give it a try. It works for me.

Micedana I am going to practice this....Do I need the ice or even just cold water can do....

Thank you again..

No.... You haven't.  I have had some pretty bad waves lately... and tried to practice Michael Singer's techniques, of interrupting intrusive thoughts, and cortisol surges by chanting, meditation, etc.

I get that these techniques are helpful during regular anxiety times,  but with my body shaking, adrenalin pumping, and tinnitus and my breathing out of whack, they failed miserably.

When I'm doing hard time, a massage or a hot bath, or a good cry, works better.   

Janiceh I can relate to the frustration...Hope you hanging in there though buddy..

The only thing that works for me is telling myself that everything is alright and positive self talk.  I do believe all these self-help and meditation books and stuff are for people who are not brain injured.

Beckblue you a trooper....I salute you lady...I pray we all find the answers...

Looking for methods you may not find one, but looking for inspiration you can find it. Pema Chodron is good. It's good to read her very slowly phrase by phrase. Very inspirational for me.

Dragdog I guess the inspiration point hits home more...

Bexlan

When I began my taper, I adopted the idea of living only one day at a time.  This simple philosophy has been one of the best things I've done for my mental health.  I read recently that living in the past can be full of regret and living in the future can be angst-ridden.  But living in the day or the moment is neither.  As Ram Dass put it, Be Here Now.

When I began my taper, I adopted the idea of living only one day at a time.  This simple philosophy has been one of the best things I've done for my mental health.  I read recently that living in the past can be full of regret and living in the future can be angst-ridden.  But living in the day or the moment is neither.  As Ram Dass put it, Be Here Now.

I admire your positivity Kate... Thank you