How to cope with irritability and anger

[Ka...]

It’s been three years I have been in withdrawal and at this stage I am extremely irritable at pretty much anything my husband does and I can’t cope with it and just express rage anger and rage. Can anyone give me some advice on how to deal with it? I feel like I have a voice in my head that I have to try to keep at bay and a lot of times it wins the battle and it’s really effecting my marriage and life. It will be over little things that don’t even matter in the bigger picture. It’s driving me crazy and I just feel crazy! I’m usually very easy going too.

• 2 months later...

These are thing I have done.

You can try meditation and yoga. Or just stretching. You can focus on a calm activity like a coloring book.

If you need to let it out here is what I have done. Though I hope the first ones work for you.

I am irritable. If I can't handle something I ignore it. They are speaking too loud? not my problem. There is a mess everywhere? not my problem. Walk away.

If I don not feel like I can communicate without snapping I will give a sign to my family that I am unable to talk with them right now. Or I will talk to them in a text. Even if they are there. Treat me like I'm mute. They will not hear me snap in a text, I have better control.

This is not an option for everyone. If you don't have to worry about kids, tell your family that you need to have a melt down. You are sorry, you don't want to hurt them and you will say awful things you don't mean. If you can, discuss this before it happens so your family will be prepared. Go somewhere and let everything out. If you have to break something then it must belong to you. And you have to clean up after.

I have alone time where I:

Do angry scribbling or journaling.

Imagining me going on a rampage. It's like daydreaming but darker.

I have taken a bat and played baseball with teacups. (They were my teacups and you have to clean up afterwards)

And finally I keep telling my family how much I love them and am grateful for them. I will leave notes and when I can be calm, love them and thank them for their understanding. Tell them you feel crazy. That your brain is adjusting weirdly. That you are just as baffled and irritated as they are.

• 4 months later...

HaHa "I have taken a bat and played baseball with teacups. (They were my teacups and you have to clean up afterwards)"  yes been there, actually I had lost my job through illness and they were all work logo mugs so it felt even better  :) 

So after a year in one rehab you are sort of a family... One anger management trick we were taught.

You have one of those foam baseball bats  (or a gloved fist) You put a big chair cushion on the floor in the middle of the room. Everyone stands in a circle. You then take turns beating the Cr*p out of the cushion whilst screaming at the top of your voice. (need thick walls) until you cannot hit it any more. What is great is you feel really silly when you start, but great at the end. Everyone can join in and we often just ended up on the floor laughing at the end. could try it maybe

I studdied western circus skills so love knife throwing so now I throw knives at a target with a certain dictator pinned on it but guess this is not very PC or family friendly.

HaHa "I have taken a bat and played baseball with teacups. (They were my teacups and you have to clean up afterwards)"  yes been there, actually I had lost my job through illness and they were all work logo mugs so it felt even better  :) 

Lost my job because of withdrawal. So I can totally see that!

So after a year in one rehab you are sort of a family... One anger management trick we were taught.

You have one of those foam baseball bats  (or a gloved fist) You put a big chair cushion on the floor in the middle of the room. Everyone stands in a circle. You then take turns beating the Cr*p out of the cushion whilst screaming at the top of your voice. (need thick walls) until you cannot hit it any more. What is great is you feel really silly when you start, but great at the end. Everyone can join in and we often just ended up on the floor laughing at the end. could try it maybe

That sounds like a great way to get through it. Especially if there is laughter at the end! :)

• 2 months later...
I remember feeling like that when I was in menopause.  I'm down to 1 mg off 4 mg of Valium and I don't feel anger or irritation at all.  I do feel sick though, constant headache all day and all night every day and every night.  These are my irritants.  Just sick feeling all the time.  I'd be so thankful if I could have one day without a headache.  Tried all meds, nothing works.  But I know about that feeling of anger, I went through that with 10 years of menopause.  Thought I was losing my mind.  I'm 73 now.  No more menopause.  A lot of it can be hormonal.  Glad I'm past that stage.  Hope you feel better.

• 2 months later...

These are thing I have done.

You can try meditation and yoga. Or just stretching. You can focus on a calm activity like a coloring book.

If you need to let it out here is what I have done. Though I hope the first ones work for you.

I am irritable. If I can't handle something I ignore it. They are speaking too loud? not my problem. There is a mess everywhere? not my problem. Walk away.

If I don not feel like I can communicate without snapping I will give a sign to my family that I am unable to talk with them right now. Or I will talk to them in a text. Even if they are there. Treat me like I'm mute. They will not hear me snap in a text, I have better control.

This is not an option for everyone. If you don't have to worry about kids, tell your family that you need to have a melt down. You are sorry, you don't want to hurt them and you will say awful things you don't mean. If you can, discuss this before it happens so your family will be prepared. Go somewhere and let everything out. If you have to break something then it must belong to you. And you have to clean up after.

I have alone time where I:

Do angry scribbling or journaling.

Imagining me going on a rampage. It's like daydreaming but darker.

I have taken a bat and played baseball with teacups. (They were my teacups and you have to clean up afterwards)

And finally I keep telling my family how much I love them and am grateful for them. I will leave notes and when I can be calm, love them and thank them for their understanding. Tell them you feel crazy. That your brain is adjusting weirdly. That you are just as baffled and irritated as they are.

Wow.  Good stuff.

Kindly,

j