The Healing Power of Nature

[sa...]

For me, time in nature is a type of therapy that none other can rival.  I need it like I need air.  But right now I'm mostly bed bound, so I've been living vicariously through YouTubers who spend most of their time in nature.  These videos feed my soul, and I wanted to share them with you guys.  I know some of your are like me and can't really get out much yet.  But we can dream of recovery and the time when we'll be tromping the trails again!

Favorite Videos:

California Camping With a View (Drew Simms) 

How to Exist (Hanna Dugan) 

Van Life in BC - Hike, Jam, and Fix (Forresty Forrest) 

Favorite Channel:

Off Grid with Jake and Nicole:  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVJgocEWT3u49_4GtulGHnQ

Good for you sage hill, you're doing the next best thing to getting out, you're visualizing it and you'll be doing it soon.  Too bad the video's can't let us smell the wonderful fragrances of nature, they're so powerful, I can still remember the first time I was able to get up into the mountains and smell the sun baked pine needles on the ground, oh my.  :smitten:

Good for you sage hill, you're doing the next best thing to getting out, you're visualizing it and you'll be doing it soon.  Too bad the video's can't let us smell the wonderful fragrances of nature, they're so powerful, I can still remember the first time I was able to get up into the mountains and smell the sun baked pine needles on the ground, oh my.  :smitten:

Oh yes! I know what you mean!  The smells are a huge part of the enjoyment.  Unfortunately, my sense of smell is still blunted.  Hopefully that will change soon! 

Yes, nothing else feels so right. Will never forget the time, I was 20 and worked at a lodge in WY. I was depressed and stressed out with my life. But after a few weeks in the mountains, just the sounds of nature and a distant view of another mountain range, I began to connect with something I hadn't felt, perhaps ever, where just my existence was enough to mean something. Unfortunately, I got injured and had to return home back in CA. I promised myself I'd stay in touch with nature, somewhere nearby. But wasn't long before I fell into the depression and emptiness. Years later I did return to that place in the mountains, which was beautiful as ever, but I couldn't stay more than a few days, had to get back home, job, city entanglements, stressors etc. so there wasn't enough time to connect again. I felt deeply saddened to see what I missed through the years and to have to leave once again, never to return, how depressing indeed.

Yes, nothing else feels so right. Will never forget the time, I was 20 and worked at a lodge in WY. I was depressed and stressed out with my life. But after a few weeks in the mountains, just the sounds of nature and a distant view of another mountain range, I began to connect with something I hadn't felt, perhaps ever, where just my existence was enough to mean something. Unfortunately, I got injured and had to return home back in CA. I promised myself I'd stay in touch with nature, somewhere nearby. But wasn't long before I fell into the depression and emptiness. Years later I did return to that place in the mountains, which was beautiful as ever, but I couldn't stay more than a few days, had to get back home, job, city entanglements, stressors etc. so there wasn't enough time to connect again. I felt deeply saddened to see what I missed through the years and to have to leave once again, never to return, how depressing indeed.

I deeply understand that frustration, especially now being housebound.  To get a taste of peace and beauty and then be obligated to leave it behind for the stress of modern life can be so depressing.  I hope you get out there soon - the Sierra Nevadas or the redwoods or the ocean, any of those places would be so healing for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Sage, I share your love for nature and cannot wait to be wandering around forests again! I like this thread, I will check these videos out.

I think you might find this video interesting. I was well on my way to this kind of life before I got sick from benzos. The wildness of the north is just something so special and healing. Crisp winter air, snowy trees and clear night sky with aurora borealis and stars. Nothing better.

Call of the wild - Tinja and her dogs in the Finnish Lapland

Hi Sage, I share your love for nature and cannot wait to be wandering around forests again! I like this thread, I will check these videos out.

I think you might find this video interesting. I was well on my way to this kind of life before I got sick from benzos. The wildness of the north is just something so special and healing. Crisp winter air, snowy trees and clear night sky with aurora borealis and stars. Nothing better.

That was beautiful!  Thank you for sharing.  I was just picturing you getting out there in the snow with Tinja.  I am so sorry withdrawal has prevented you from doing those things.  It's heartbreaking.  But it's also something to look forward to after we get better!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, that was beautiful.

I miss snow.

It looks like she was ice fishing?

One of the prettiest places I ever saw was in Maine. We camped on a big lake.

Thanks, that was beautiful.

I miss snow.

It looks like she was ice fishing?

One of the prettiest places I ever saw was in Maine. We camped on a big lake.

Hi, I’m glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I think she was taking water from the frozen lake because there wasn’t running water. But ice fishing is also very common here during winter times!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Warm greetings from picturesque Slovenia. I would upload my pictures from nature but don't know how to  ???

Hello from Washington state, USA!  It's beautiful here too, but I don't know how to upload pictures either.  I just find cool stuff on Youtube to share.