Antibiotic fear, even topical

[Ac...]

So, I was prescribed the topical antibiotic mupirocin for an infected cut on my finger.  2 days into treatment, I start waking with the 4am cortisol surges, which I haven't done in a while. 

A few weeks ago I posted after a sleepless/zero night after using cipro eardrops once for swimmers ear.

This incidents make me really afraid of treatment for infections using antibiotics.  Does anyone else have problems with topical stuff like I mentioned?  Does anyone know if this sensitivity is forever?  Does anyone have good tips good to deal with the fear that I'll need serious antibiotic or steroid treatment while the cns is still sensitive? 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey jben, how have you been?  I hope you've been doing ok.  I've been thinking about you during my own recovery.

That topical ab post actually happened before we got to know each other, before my doxycycline oral set back.  So I think I did "ok" with the topical stuff.  It revved me up, but didn't set me back.  I think it primed my system for a worse setback from the oral antibiotic.  So as long as you have some time to recover after the topical I think you'll be okay. 

I now use over-the-counter antibiotic ointment regularly with no issues, But I have still avoided the prescription strength.  If you need it though, it's certainly preferable to oral ab. 

If you need anything else you can message me and I'll respond- I don't come to the board much lately.

Great.  Thank you.  I think I am just going to avoid all antibiotics right now unless my life is threatened. Better safe than sorry at this point.  I may try in a year or two.

In retrospect I think it would have healed without the topical prescription antibiotic, But that was before I knew I was so sensitive to them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Great.  Thank you.  I think I am just going to avoid all antibiotics right now unless my life is threatened. Better safe than sorry at this point.  I may try in a year or two.

You might be ok with OTC cream.  In my opinion, it's better to try that rather than to risk actual infection and needing an oral ab, but yes better safe than sorry, knowing how sensitive your system still is.