Keto or not

[Wa...]

Should I do keto or not? I am worried about the side effects or the diet throwing me into a wave. I plan to start electrolytes as well when I do the diet. Just looking for experiences.

I am 7 months off and looking to drop some weight and lessen withdrawal symptoms.

If you do go keto, I really recommend trying hard to follow a healthy keto diet. What I mean is don't just load up on fatty food without any regard for whether it is healthy or not. I like Dr. Eric Berg on YouTube, he has a few videos on this. Also I would probably transition to keto by reducing carbs in stages rather than cutting them right down in one go. "keto flu" is common in the adaptation phase, I think that would be amplified in benzo withdrawal which you don't want.

I didn't think keto was the best thing for me. I keep an eye on my carb intake and try to eat healthy. Not strictly keto. More important and more effective, I have found, is intermittent fasting. I'm not strict but most days I eat within a window of about 8 hours in the daytime, meaning I fast overnight for about 16 hours on average, which is enough to get the health benefits including weight loss. Occasionally I'll do a prolonged fast, anywhere between 24 hours up to 5 days. Just water and tea for that period, supplementing electrolytes sparingly. I really do recommend a 24 hour fast to someone who is curious and has a fat to burn. It's enough to get a feel for the benefits but not so much that difficult symptoms are likely. Fasting is the best way to lose weight without trashing your metabolism. It's not as hard as you may think, it worked wonders for my mental health.

Thank you for this. I do agree to take it slow and not just go to keto. It’s a reminder as I do feel I have reacted in the past when trying to diet. Maybe in stages. I have tried fasting in the past. I was in a phase while tapering and could tolerate it. I felt better too. When off benzos, I feel that I have blood sugar issues” and it is hard for me to fast. I get really hungry really quickly. Or I have electrolyte issues. And the worst, insomnia.  I’m going to try again with lower carb first, go in phases and then get back to fasting.

Thanks.

• 1 month later...
[b5...]

Thank you for this. I do agree to take it slow and not just go to keto. It’s a reminder as I do feel I have reacted in the past when trying to diet. Maybe in stages. I have tried fasting in the past. I was in a phase while tapering and could tolerate it. I felt better too. When off benzos, I feel that I have blood sugar issues” and it is hard for me to fast. I get really hungry really quickly. Or I have electrolyte issues. And the worst, insomnia.  I’m going to try again with lower carb first, go in phases and then get back to fasting.

Thanks.

Yes this happened to me a few weeks ago. I just recently recovered my ability to sleep on my own again (like maybe less than a month ago). I tried going keto too fast, and BAM! no sleep.

I've been far too busy catching up with a gazillion things that had to be placed on hold due to the benzo curse, and as I am nearing back to normal, I'm playing catch up with my life.

I would like to try it out soon, but I am a bit worried about it, tbh... I am on [nobbc]BirthControl[/nobbc], and I am not sure if it is ok to be on this diet and pills at the same time. Let me know what you think about it, girls, please! Thanks a lot for any replies here :)

edit: disabled link

• 1 year later...
I went into ketosis and it increased Akathisia. It's the acid in the blood that is the issue I guess. Everyone is different. It helps many people. I was excited to try it and it backfired on me.

I’ve been on keto for the last 5 months and it has actually helped the severity of my symptoms. I still have symptoms and hard days but nothing like I was having when I was eating sugary comfort foods. That has been my experience and I know we all react differently so I would ease into it slowly and do lots of research. Dr Eric berg on YouTube is great and dr berry.

Keto works great for me. It helped me lose weight and stabilize my blood sugar. And I noticed that I have more energy since I started following this diet. I noticed that some people find it difficult to start this diet plan. I can suggest checking this article https://betterme.world/articles/keto-diet-basics/ for details. It explained everything in plain language. Hopefully, it will be helpful for someone.