Have bad case of flu no sleep for days.

[Fi...]

My sleep issues were finally starting to come around in my 7th month here. I was sleeping 6-7 hours pretty much every night with a rare 4 hour and very rare 0 hours every month or so. Then I got the flu. The real deal, and it has ruined me. I am so sick and I cannot sleep for the life of me. Going on day 2 0 sleep now. I feel like I'm at death's door, this flu is really bad. My pulse hasn't gone down from 110 since the day I came down with it and the aches are extreme.

I have no idea what to do, I'm losing it. I'm delusional with fever and sleep dep. Do any of you have flu insomnia stories?

get you some cough syrup.. prescription grade preferred. you'll pull through

Can't use meds, have extreme chemical sensitivity from this shit.

get you some cough syrup.. prescription grade preferred. you'll pull through

Can't use meds, have extreme chemical sensitivity from this shit.

i understand. but codeine in prescription syrup will numb your nerves. you will feel less and sleep some. sorry, that's the only thing that worked for me.

I know it doesn't make you feel any better, but 2 nights without sleep is very survivable.  I did 3 nights in a row with no perceived or zero sleep at least a dozen times the first 9 months off.  The flu will end and your sleep will return.  You just need to be patient and give it some time.

Maybe try herbatonin....it's a low dose 0.3mg plant-based melatonin supplement.

If you are sensitive to everything, then you'll just have to tough it out.  What other option do you really have?

Hang it there, it will even out!

I know it doesn't make you feel any better, but 2 nights without sleep is very survivable.  I did 3 nights in a row with no perceived or zero sleep at least a dozen times the first 9 months off.  The flu will end and your sleep will return.  You just need to be patient and give it some time.

Maybe try herbatonin....it's a low dose 0.3mg plant-based melatonin supplement.

If you are sensitive to everything, then you'll just have to tough it out.  What other option do you really have?

Hang it there, it will even out!

Yeah, you're absolutely right. Did you ever get the flu in this horror show? I'll just have to ride it out. Melatonin gives me akathisia. No bueno when I figured that one out.

I think I have to be one of the most sensitive people on here. Foods people seem to tolerate will give me zero nights. Kindling really does a number in this. I saw improvement these last couple months so I have hope. Thanks for taking the time, your story inspires me.

The exact same thing happened to me earlier in recovery. I got the flu and went three days without sleep. It sucked a lot, so I really feel for you. Hopefully you'll feel better soon and will be able to get some sleep.

Sorry that you are so sensitive to everything.  Nothing worked for me either for more than a night or 2 max.  I was forced to "tough it out" too. 

Maybe you are sensitive to Benzos as well?  My PCP thought I had a genetic sensitivity to them as he prescribed way more to other people and they didn't have any sort of recognizable WD or at least they never reported anything to him?  I gave him a copy of the Ashton Manual and he "politely" refused it.  :tickedoff:

You could try Paul Mckenna's Deep Relaxation.  It provides a way to relax and refresh yourself without actually sleeping.  I used it a lot when I was only sleeping 5-10 hours per week.  You can download the audio file here:  https://www.nlplifetraining.com/free/download/deep-relaxation

It works best with headphones and you can listen to this this as much as you have time for.  It's the same session, but you can do it over and over again.  It takes about 25 minutes.

The exact same thing happened to me earlier in recovery. I got the flu and went three days without sleep. It sucked a lot, so I really feel for you. Hopefully you'll feel better soon and will be able to get some sleep.

Thanks Siggy, I actually saw your old posts when I was doing a search. The flu is just absolutely heinous in all of this. My heart rate just exploded on the first day and hasn't come down yet. No way I can sleep with my heart beating out of my chest. I went to the doctor to make sure things weren't serious and she said it's the fever driving up my heart. I caved and took some Tylenol, first meds in 8 months. I seem to be tolerating it okay, thank you. The pain is just out of this world.

So Siggy, do you just eventually pass out from lack of sleep? I've found that I can only sleep at certain times, and it's literally impossible before 8pm and after 7am. Leads to these horrifically long sleep deprived days. I'm hoping my body just gives out and succumbs.

Proud of what you've accomplished Siggy, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Sorry that you are so sensitive to everything.  Nothing worked for me either for more than a night or 2 max.  I was forced to "tough it out" too. 

Maybe you are sensitive to Benzos as well?  My PCP thought I had a genetic sensitivity to them as he prescribed way more to other people and they didn't have any sort of recognizable WD or at least they never reported anything to him?  I gave him a copy of the Ashton Manual and he "politely" refused it.  :tickedoff:

You could try Paul Mckenna's Deep Relaxation.  It provides a way to relax and refresh yourself without actually sleeping.  I used it a lot when I was only sleeping 5-10 hours per week.  You can download the audio file here:  https://www.nlplifetraining.com/free/download/deep-relaxation

It works best with headphones and you can listen to this this as much as you have time for.  It's the same session, but you can do it over and over again.  It takes about 25 minutes.

I'm definitely sensitive to them. It only took a couple of weeks to be locked into this misery for a year and 8 months (counting taper)

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Thanks Siggy, I actually saw your old posts when I was doing a search. The flu is just absolutely heinous in all of this. My heart rate just exploded on the first day and hasn't come down yet. No way I can sleep with my heart beating out of my chest. I went to the doctor to make sure things weren't serious and she said it's the fever driving up my heart. I caved and took some Tylenol, first meds in 8 months. I seem to be tolerating it okay, thank you. The pain is just out of this world.

So Siggy, do you just eventually pass out from lack of sleep? I've found that I can only sleep at certain times, and it's literally impossible before 8pm and after 7am. Leads to these horrifically long sleep deprived days. I'm hoping my body just gives out and succumbs.

Proud of what you've accomplished Siggy, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Yeah I eventually somehow fell asleep. I’m having issues sleeping again now after some stressful things the last few weeks. Went about 2-½ years with no issues. So my sleep anxiety is amped up now. Sucks, thought I was five eight this crap. Hope you feel better soon.

Sorry to hear you're going through some insomnia again Siggy. I think it's important to remember that stress makes even normal people have pretty bad insomnia. You'll get through this, but I know how awful that is for you.

I finally zonked. My fever broke and with it a lot of the symptoms keeping me from sleeping went away. Didn't sleep much, 4.5 hours after 38 awake but I'll take it gladly.

Sorry to hear you're going through some insomnia again Siggy. I think it's important to remember that stress makes even normal people have pretty bad insomnia. You'll get through this, but I know how awful that is for you.

I finally zonked. My fever broke and with it a lot of the symptoms keeping me from sleeping went away. Didn't sleep much, 4.5 hours after 38 awake but I'll take it gladly.

Glad you were finally able to get some sleep. Sadly I only got about 30 minutes tonight right after I got in bed. Nothing after that. I tried laying motionless for the longest time, but eventually got up as I didn’t want to bother my wife with tossing and turning. Laid in one of our guest beds for a while. Got in the phone, even though I shouldn’t. Just waiting for the right time to take a shower and then drag myself in to work again after a terrible night.

Siggy,

Sorry you had another almost zero night.  That sucks.  I hope it evens out for you soon.  I know that feeling of going to work with the thought of sleep constantly in the back of your mind!  Maybe try a bit of melatonin tonight?

Siggy,

Sorry you had another almost zero night.  That sucks.  I hope it evens out for you soon.  I know that feeling of going to work with the thought of sleep constantly in the back of your mind!  Maybe try a bit of melatonin tonight?

Thanks, it’s just as not awesome as it’s always been. I’ve tried a few different types of melatonin Andy most don’t really work well for me for some reason. My mom uses the gummy bear kind. So I’ve tried those and some other OTC ones. Always made me feel super weird too. I do like tart cherry, although the big issue with that is that it’s liquid and makes me have to pee. Not ideal for trying to sleep. I did start taking tryptophan, which I remember I think helped me some last time, but it took a while to kick in.

My boss sent me home early. I was supposed to help him set up some studio shots. But I’m not sure if he still planned on doing them today. He said just go home relax and take a nap! Ugh, if only I could.

Found out in early if my coworkers only sleeps between 1-4 most nights of the week. Had no idea. So it was good to talk to him and he of course understood where I’m coming from. Said he just plays video games, cleans, does laundry when he can’t sleep.

I walked a lot today to try and tire myself out and to get outside for some fresh air.

How you feeling today Fox?

Oof, that's rough Siggy, I'm sorry you're going through this.

I'm hanging in there. Test results came back and it's definitely the flu. The worst symptoms are over (body aches and high fever) so I've just been plastered to my bed all day feeling like garbage from all the other flu stuff. Noticed some of my withdrawal symptoms starting to wave up but that's typical with the flu I've heard.

Hope you get some much needed rest tonight. Keep hanging in there.

Oof, that's rough Siggy, I'm sorry you're going through this.

I'm hanging in there. Test results came back and it's definitely the flu. The worst symptoms are over (body aches and high fever) so I've just been plastered to my bed all day feeling like garbage from all the other flu stuff. Noticed some of my withdrawal symptoms starting to wave up but that's typical with the flu I've heard.

Hope you get some much needed rest tonight. Keep hanging in there.

I’ve been through multiple 3 day no sleep cycles, but by far the worst one was when I had the flu. I mean, talk about getting to feel the full brunt of the illness for days without being able to sleep through some of it. I really understand your pain. But it sounds like you’re making it to the other side now. Maybe the rest of the symptoms will fade out soon. I read all about cytokines and other flu related science. Pretty crazy. It’s not the actual flu virus that causes the symptoms, it’s your own body dumping toxic substances into your blood to fight the infection. So our own bodies do this to us, but I guess that’s what needs to happen to fight the virus off.

• 3 years later...
Just bumping into this. Still tapering Remeron after 3 years use. Originally prescribed for insomnia. Was sleeping fairly well for over a year or more. Caught the flu early Feb and started having the worse rebound insomnia. Choppy and broken sleep and even when get a good amount, wake up feeling as if i had 0 sleep.

I have exactly the same issue right now. Made an appointment with my doctor on Monday cause those nights were just horrible.