Accidental Ketosis: Ketogenic Diet and Nutrition Buffs Please Help

[db...]

[db...]

I posted this in alternative therapies as well. Then realized this might be a better place. Anyways here it goes and sorry for the double post.

So during the last 5-6 few months I noticed that carbs and large meals revved up my symptoms and just generally made me feel crappy. So, I cut out a lot of carbs, sugars and ate smaller meals without paying too much attention to tracking calories or macros. Everything was fine for a while, but in the past 2 months I noticed I started to lose weight at a rapid pace despite not changing my eating habits.

It's like overnight my metabolism shifted and I started dropping 0.5 lbs/day. Now  this would be fine if I was overweight or even a normal weight but I'm petite and dropped about 10 pounds in the past month and a half. 10 pounds on my frame and weight may as well be doubled on the average person. I knew something was up when from one week to the next my jeans got baggy on me. I could be wrong but feel like I'm in a "fat adapted" state as all my body fat is disappearing.

For the last month ive been trying to eat a certain number of calories and carbs to encourage weight gain, which has only led to intense stomach problems.

I see plenty of articles, posts, and nutritionists talking about how to get into ketosis, become fat adapted etc - but not how to reverse it.

All that said if anyone has any knowledge of this and/or advice please share I'd appreciate it so much. The weight loss and lack of appetite have really put me in a weakened state where it's hard to think clearly or feel functional on top of the benzo issue.

Thanks <3

Hi,

If I were you, I'd want to start with a visit to the doctor to get things checked out. S/he might want to order blood and urine tests, among other things. It might make sense to consult with a registered dietitian too, since there's a lot of bad nutritional information out there, and it can be hard to make sense of it sometimes.

Carbohydrates aren't bad, although cookies, cakes, white bread, white rice and the like are completely unnecessary things to eat. On the other hand, whole grains, beans, legumes, fruits and vegetables are all carbohydrates, and they're all healthy, nutritious choices.

[db...]

Thanks for the article and tips. I'm planning on seeing a Dr. soon. know I have probable ulcers and inflammation which a gastro will want to check out but I honestly think Ketosis and becoming "fat adapted" (a term I just learned this week) has played a role in the rapid weight loss. It's like a switch in how one's body uses fuel. A registered dietician might help, if not who else?

Like I said, I've read about becoming fat adapted but not getting out of that metabolic state. And there's so much info on ketogenic diet online. I'm eating plenty of carbs - just not gaining back and I can't afford to lose anymore weight.

Thanks again for your replies.

Hi Cosmic,

I admit to not getting why the ketogenic thing is so popular. Carbohydrates are essential and healthy, as long as they're not the white, simple, sugar-laden kind. But your body uses carbs (e.g. complex carbs) for energy, which is necessary to function and to think. We do need some protein and fat, but not large amounts of either. In your case, if you weren't trying to lose weight, it doesn't sound like this diet is a great one for you.

I'm guessing your body will re-adapt, but a dietitian might be a helpful guide to setting up a good eating plan that you're comfortable with. It's true that there's a ton of info online, but it won't be specific to your individual situation. Your doctor can hopeful assess whether there's anything else going on aside from what you suspect.

If you can, try to be a bit patient too. Fast weight loss isn't good, and fast weight gain isn't good either. Slow and steady is probably better, since you probably want to get back to a healthy, stable weight. Yo-yo-ing your weight around isn't helpful to the body. Add a bit at a time, and give your body time to adapt to the changes over a number of weeks.

[db...]

I agree with you 100%. The diet works for some, but I think they have to be careful with it. I wasn't even dieting or trying to lose weight - just trying to feel better because carbs and large meals were hard to digest and triggered a fast heart rate. But I wasn't vigilant enough in making sure I was getting the proper balance of nutrients and calories. I guess I weighed the same for so long regardless of what I ate I wasn't too worried.

Yes doing things too fast like trying to gain can be harmful, so like you said it pays to take ones time. I read something about it taking a few weeks, which is fine - the troubling thing is I seem to keep losing weight. And I'm convinced some switch went of in my metabolism where now my body's just using fat reserves for energy. Apparently that's what becoming fat adapted is.

My Dr. is convinced it's gastrointestinal - ulcers cause lack of appetite and lead to weight loss. And I don't doubt I have ulcers or other gastro issues. But the speed at which I'm losing weight makes me think I unintentionally achieved what a lot of people who do the Keto Diet want: fat adaptation.

The whole Ketogenic theory isn't really recognized in the medical community, so I'm not sure what to expect.

But yeah I'll look for an app that tracks everything to start. Paid Version. So I can track progress and make sure I'm consuming optimal ratios and calories everyday until I see a dietitian.

Ps. lapis is a really cool gemstone if that's what your nick stands for. Went through a gemstone faze and lapis L was one of my favorites. Lol just a random aside.

Thanks again.

Yes, Lapis is a lovely stone, so that's why I chose it for my BB name. Gorgeous colour!

One thing to keep in mind is that weighing oneself daily isn't necessarily a good habit either. And muscles weigh more than fat. So, a person can weigh more, and be way more fit than a person who weighs less. You'd have to have someone assess your body composition to see what type of weight you're losing, e.g. muscle vs. fat. Obviously, it doesn't seem that you can afford to lose either type of weight. But the number on the scale doesn't reflect whether you're healthy inside, which is a more complicated thing. That's where blood and urine tests come in.

If you're having GI trouble, then that definitely needs to be checked out by someone who is qualified to do so. With ulcers, you can be losing blood, which might then drop your hemoglobin levels. That's not a good thing!

It does seem like an appointment with dietitian could help, but the doctor would have to weigh in first to make sure that you're digesting food and that you're not losing blood with an ulcer.

Do you eat any of the whole grains, e.g. brown rice, whole barley, quinoa, millet, buckwheat, spelt, whole or steel-cut oats, amaranth, etc.? These are excellent carbohydrates to try.

One thing that people don't often think about is that we have to chew our food properly or we won't digest it. Carb digestion begins in the mouth. I think people likely eat quickly and don't digest things well. If you don't chew, you can't digest, and if you can't digest, then you can't get the nutrition from what you're eating. It seems rather basic, but lots of people inhale their food and then wonder why they have a stomach ache.

Again, keep in mind that your body will likely re-adapt, if you gradually get back to a more balanced diet. Just take it slow and steady!

[db...]

It is a gorgeous color. Reminds me of a Starry Night.

I don't eat complex carbs regularly enough. I'll occasionally have brown rice and steel cut oatmeal, but will add your other recommendations to my list.

I started weighing myself everyday since I noticed clothes fitting a little different and realized I was losing weight without trying to. I know it's not healthy to do, I guess when I step on the scale I want reassurance that it's not going down.

And yes I read an article that suggests chewing 20-30 times before swallowing to get the digestive enzymes flowing.

I'll stick with slow and steady as much as I can and definitely take all your advice into account!

Thanks <3

I have a similar problem with carbs reving up my symptoms and making me feel crappy. I avoid bad sugars and do ok with a bit of potato and some grains. I feel crap if I don't at least have some carbs. In terms of keeping the weight on I found juicing green vegetables and making smoothies helped me keep the weight on and gave me more energy. Let me know if you want a few suggestions  ;) 

[db...]

I have a similar problem with carbs reving up my symptoms and making me feel crappy. I avoid bad sugars and do ok with a bit of potato and some grains. I feel crap if I don't at least have some carbs. In terms of keeping the weight on I found juicing green vegetables and making smoothies helped me keep the weight on and gave me more energy. Let me know if you want a few suggestions  ;)

I would love some suggestions! I've never been great with staying on top of things nutrinionally. I just kind of always ate whatever and it worked for me. Benzos changed that amongst other things. Liquids would definitely be easier on my digestive system. I have a juicer, just haven't used it to make anything aside a knockoff of my favorite Jamba Juice smoothie. So yeah all suggestions are welcome and appreciated :thumbsup:

Juices have saved me. I hate cooking!

Carrott, Apple & Ginger

Celery, Cucumber, Kale & Apple

Spinach, Celery & Apple

If you get a cheep smoothie maker, you can mix the ones below with water. I keep away from milk but you can also use hemp, almond or coconut milk. Adding pea protein powder will give you more protein and make them more balanced.

Banana, Avocado, Spinach and mint

Blueberry, Raspberry and Kiwi

Sweet potato and banana (this is a new one Im going to try that I've seen on youtube)

Just go easy with some fruits as they can contain a lot of sugar and set symptoms of.

The fruits I've mentioned are ok but go easy with the bananas !!

Good luck xx

[db...]
I will definitely try some of these. I've been more or less on a "bland diet" for the past 3 weeks because of a possible ulcer, and other fun stomach issues, I've barely had any greens. Going to pick some ingredients up later and hopefully they help. Thanks for the suggestions I really appreciate it!

• 3 years later...