Buspirone?

[Me...]

Some people have used it and benefited a little is my impression.  Nothing remarkable but it seems to have been helpful for several.  I've tried it a couple times.  The latest time, I was worried about serotonin syndrome bc I was also on an AD.  It helped a little.  I stopped too quickly and my anxiety went really high.  Overall, timing wasn't right for me.  It may have helped during my clonazepam taper.  I think a lot of other people here would say that it's another med and you don't need it and it can make things worse and set you back.  Hope that's helpful for some perspective at least.  I hope your symptoms start improving soon too.  Best wishes.

Thank you for the response! ;( I took 7.5 mg I guess we’ll see my anxiety is through the roof I just had my baby 2 months ago and I’ve been in a terrible wave 1 year off

Congratulations on the birth of your child and I’m sorry it’s rough for you right now.  I do want to mention I think you have to go up a bit on that one to get the effect. I can’t remember the recommended dose for anxiety but I do remember the lower dose aren’t effective at all. I’m sure a quick google search would let you know and prob want to check with your dr too.  I wish you the best.

take it for anxiety and it helps me a lot. I take 15mg three times a day and when I fully recover from the benzos I will taper from it. I have been taking it for a while now and tried to come off at the same time as I C/T benzos but that was a stupid idea. I noticed it made me a little dizzy at first but it stops. It takes a couple of weeks to fully work but it keeps my anxiety in check.

Thankful for u guys responding I gotta try something my anxiety is through the roof my thoughts r out of control ugh everything’s just bad at one year off c/t all my muscles hurt especially my left leg and chest muscles scary

I take Buspirone, as well. You had mentioned dizziness as one of your symptoms. Buspirone has caused me dizziness, and it took me a while to find a dose where it no longer does that. It will not do much of anything for muscle pain. It has no muscle relaxing properties. It is also something that most likely needs to be tapered off after being on it for a while. Some people here have indicated that they could just stop it because Buspirone is non habit-forming, but I found it not to be the case for me. I started getting very dizzy on 30mg/day (I slowly worked my way up fom 2.5mg/day), and I tapered down to 25mg/day and then tapered down to 20mg/day. Feeling a lot better on 20mg/day than I did on 30mg/day.

Dr gave me a script of 15mg three times a day I took a 15 and it made me really tired and dizzy so I’m sitting them 7.5 mg I’ll do this three times a day for a week and see how I do first then I’ll see about moving up or down I only weighe 120 so to me 3 15s is a lot to start!

Dr gave me a script of 15mg three times a day I took a 15 and it made me really tired and dizzy so I’m sitting them 7.5 mg I’ll do this three times a day for a week and see how I do first then I’ll see about moving up or down I only weighe 120 so to me 3 15s is a lot to start!

Yes, 3 15s would be a lot for me, too and I weigh quite a bit more than you. I just don't like the head effects of buspar on high doses. I think I tried it in my late 20's when I was on prozac and took it for 2 days and I felt dizzy on it and just decided not to take it anymore.

My current psychiatrist started me with 5mg/day. Then he increased to 7.5mg/day. Then 10mg/day. Then 15mg/day. Then 20mg/day. Then 30mg/day. He said that the next two stops would be 45mg/day  and 60mg/day. I thought of that as too much. The thing that I understood by studying pharmacology of different Rx drugs was that the brain receptors that they target usually reach a saturation point at a certain level, and each person is different. For someone, doses of up to 15 mg of buspar/day achieve the right level of receptor saturation and anything over that level may provide very little in terms of therapeutic effect and just add a bunch of side/adverse effects at higher doses.

I also like the 15mg Buspar pill sizes because each pill can be broken into thirds (5mg pieces) or into a half (7.5mg). The 5mg Rx was a white round tiny pill that had a score through the middle and 7.5mg one is small and a bit oval and the 10mg one is bigger and round. The 15mg size is the most verstatile in terms of the ease of splitting it up.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey guys... I took Buspirone for a year or so and it worked ok. It was better than nothing. Frankly the benzos work better but with so many addiction stories here I'm afraid to take it long term. I always just take a little though like a quarter of a 1mh pill of Ativan or a half if I'm super panicked. I've taken up to 2mg a day long term and didn't have withdrawals, idk maybe I'm lucky. But going back to Budpirone I was told take 3 10mg tablets a day (which I didn't) and they bumped me to 15mg - that dosage made me dizzy and nauseous. I'm 165lbs. Anyway- why can't there be a pill that takes away anxiety without being addictive? Blah. I've been buspirone isn't addicting. It also doesn't work that well. And FYI I'm also on zoloft

Hey guys... I took Buspirone for a year or so and it worked ok. It was better than nothing. Frankly the benzos work better but with so many addiction stories here I'm afraid to take it long term. I always just take a little though like a quarter of a 1mh pill of Ativan or a half if I'm super panicked. I've taken up to 2mg a day long term and didn't have withdrawals, idk maybe I'm lucky. But going back to Budpirone I was told take 3 10mg tablets a day (which I didn't) and they bumped me to 15mg - that dosage made me dizzy and nauseous. I'm 165lbs. Anyway- why can't there be a pill that takes away anxiety without being addictive? Blah. I've been buspirone isn't addicting. It also doesn't work that well. And FYI I'm also on zoloft

My dr mentioned Buspar at my last appointment. So when you stop taking it, you don't have any withdrawal symptoms?

I'd hate to add another Rx to my list, but I can't handle this insane anxiety anymore! I am very close to getting back on benzos at this point. Even if buspar helps a little, I'll take it. I read that it can make anxiety worse at first, but takes several weeks to work properly, is that true?

• 4 years later...

I got sleepy on the first night taking 5mg Buspirone.

The next few days were slightly better, now on day 10 of taking it. It seems i can function better than when I was on Xanax 0.125mg 3x a day, now it's just:

1. 5mg Buspirone 3x a day

2. 0.125 mg Xanax at bed time