Why Ashton manual doesnt mention Libido Loss? Sexual dysfunction?

[Ma...]

Hello friends

I am suffering from post withdrawal symptoms. My most prominent symptom is total libido loss i.e. sexual dysfunction. I found that many people are facing this issue or have faced this issue during or after their withdrawal. And for many of them, like me, its taking very long time to resolve. Even wikipedia and pharma books recognize this as a benzo side effect.

I wonder why Ashton manual doesnt mention this symptom? As it is not very uncommon.

Has anybody thought about this?

• 1 month later...
[ae...]

Hi Mytas

Ashton Manual does mention it in ‘physical Symptoms.’

I have it sitting in front of me right now. “Sexual Disfunction (or occasional increase in libido).”

Thank you for your reply Libertas. Yes, I had PSSD before. But it was completely reversed, and I was functioning very well for seven months. Completely normal. Just like before. I never took SSRIs again. Only when I used benzos, the symptoms appeared.

Also, these symptoms are much more severe than what I experienced in PSSD before. In PSSD, I could bring those thoughts with some effort, right now, its almost impossible to keep sexual thoughts in mind.

So, I dont think it is related with PSSD at all.

Hello Winters sun. Thank you for your reply.

Can you send me a link, where it is mentioned in Ashton Manual?

[ae...]

Hello Winters sun. Thank you for your reply.

Can you send me a link, where it is mentioned in Ashton Manual?

Hi Maytas

I was mistaken… I had a print out out of Benzo.org.uk FAQ’s, a site supportive and linking to Professor Ashton’s Manual.

Here’s the link to what I had in front of me.

https://www.benzo.org.uk/FAQ1.1.htm#9

[ae...]

Thank you friend. I cant open the link though. Please copy paste the text if possible.

Here you go, Maytas

9. WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF BENZODIAZEPINE WITHDRAWAL?

The following is a list of symptoms. As they have been reported by enough individuals they are statistically likely to be legitimate withdrawal symptoms. Keep in mind that there are a wide variety of other symptoms that have been reported that may be legitimate withdrawal symptoms as well, but have not been reported by enough individuals to be statistically significant. The determination of statistical significance is not based on hard data, but on the observations of this author in reading through thousands of posts from people in withdrawal, as well as several books and articles on the subject.

This list is broken down into psychological and physical symptoms. The double asterisk (**) indicates symptoms that occur to some degree or another, at one time or another, in virtually every person experiencing benzodiazepine withdrawal. Single asterisk (*) are symptoms that are common, and occur in most people. Others are symptoms that are common enough to be verifiable withdrawal symptoms, but probably occur in a minority of cases.

Psychological symptoms: anxiety** (including panic attacks), depression**, insomnia*, derealisation/depersonalisation* (feelings of unreality/detachment from self), obsessive negative thoughts*, (particularly of a violent and/or sexual nature) rapid mood changes* (especially including outbursts of anger or rage), phobias* (especially agoraphobia and fear of insanity), dysphoria* (loss of capacity to enjoy life; possibility a combination of depression, anxiety, and derealisation/depersonalisation), impairment of cognitive functioning*, suicidal thoughts*, nightmares, hallucinations, psychosis, pill cravings. Note that it is far more common to fear psychosis than it is to actually experience it.

Physical Symptoms: abnormal sensitivity to sensory stimuli* (such as loud noise or bright light), muscle tension/pain**, joint pain*, tinnitus*, headaches*, shaking/tremors*, blurred vision* (and other complications related to the eyes), itchy skin* (including formication, ie sensations of insects crawling on skin), gastrointestinal discomfort*, electric shock sensations*, paraesthesiae* (numbness and pins and needles, especially in extremities), fatigue*, weakness in the extremities* (particularly the legs), feelings of inner vibrations* (especially in the torso), sweating, fluctuations in body temperature, difficulty in swallowing, loss of appetite, "flu like" symptoms, fasciculations (muscle twitching), metallic taste in mouth, nausea, extreme thirst (including dry mouth and increased frequency of urination), sexual dysfunction (or occasional increase in libido), heart palpitations, dizziness, vertigo, breathlessness.

Here, I have cited only the most commonly reported withdrawal symptoms. For more comprehensive lists of withdrawal symptoms see the Symptoms Index on this site.

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2023 at 9:51 AM, [[M...] said:

Thank you for your reply Libertas. Yes, I had PSSD before. But it was completely reversed, and I was functioning very well for seven months. Completely normal. Just like before. I never took SSRIs again. Only when I used benzos, the symptoms appeared.

Also, these symptoms are much more severe than what I experienced in PSSD before. In PSSD, I could bring those thoughts with some effort, right now, its almost impossible to keep sexual thoughts in mind.

So, I dont think it is related with PSSD at all.

brother ,im going into the same problem .... i can have weak erections , while watching videos but again they are weak , i been off of klonopin for a month, im scared. can you have erection watching video content ? any improvements ?

brother ,im going into the same problem .... i can have weak erections , while watching videos but again they are weak , i been off of klonopin for a month, im scared. can you have erection watching video content ? any improvements ?

On 5/27/2023 at 8:07 AM, [[L...] said:

I wonder if your previous experience of PSSD (post-SSRI sexual dysfunction) after taking an SSRI antidepressant (sertraline/Zoloft) might be a factor?

For readers who may not be familiar with PSSD (which can affect both males and females):

Post-SSRI sexual dysfunction - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-SSRI_sexual_dysfunction

The way these doctors pass out psychotropic drugs like they are candy it's pretty rare to find someone that has only been prescribed benzos and not SSRIs, SNRIs, antipsychotics, etc. etc. 

PSSD is a definite possibility. 

The other possibility is that some people end up feeling so lousy after tapering off their benzo that sex just isn't very high up on their list of interests. Difficult to feel sexy and unwell at the same time. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I empathize with your struggle. It's unfortunate that some withdrawal symptoms, like libido loss, aren't explicitly mentioned in the Ashton Manual. While it's a common concern, seeking advice from healthcare professionals is crucial. You might also explore options like Erexon Gel, known to aid in certain sexual dysfunctions.

Edited by [Od...]

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2023 at 14:35, [[M...] said:

Hello friends

I am suffering from post withdrawal symptoms. My most prominent symptom is total libido loss i.e. sexual dysfunction. I found that many people are facing this issue or have faced this issue during or after their withdrawal. And for many of them, like me, its taking very long time to resolve. Even wikipedia and pharma books recognize this as a benzo side effect.

I wonder why Ashton manual doesnt mention this symptom? As it is not very uncommon.

Has anybody thought about this?

I'm the opposite. Almost manic from time to time

Gives a nice but short relive from tension etc.