Breast Cancer Support Group

[Fi...]

Hi,

I wanted to start this group for support and to support anyone going through cancer treatment at this time.

I had been benzo free 17 months and doing well. Working, getting back to exercise and planning for vacation.

I was given a stage 1 breadt cancer diagnosis in June 2022. It was upsetting and shocking but what I was most afraid of was the treatment and potential harm to my brain. I prepared myself mentally for surgery and tole the anesthesiologist what I could not have, benzos, opiods or any Fluoroquinolone antibiotics.

Well even though those weren't used the anesthesia and surgery had put me in a very bad setback. I'm back in what feels like acute withdrawal with mental symptoms being the worst. I have very bad depression, despair, anxiety, agoraphobia and insomnia. I had to resort to a sleep med to help me survive.

I now have 15 radiation sessions coming up and I'm scared. I'm not scared about the radiation treatments themselves, its the getting there and back.

Anyway, I just thought I'd see if there were others out there or if anyone could offer any hope and encouragement.

Hi. I am so sorry to hear about your breast cancer diagnosis. Although I do not currently have breast cancer, I was diagnosed with Stage 2 invasive lobular carcinoma in 2012. The diagnosis itself causes so much stress and anxiety it’s no wonder you are having a wave. Stress seems to induce waves from what I can see with others. I did not do radiation, but did have chemo after my surgeries, then more surgeries after chemo. During chemo I was given multiple different sleep aids to try as well as Effexor. I think the key is going to be taking them short term as possible. I didn’t use any of those for longer than a week or so, but I was already on benzos and other meds at the time. Breast cancer is such a difficult diagnosis and will surely change your entire outlook on life, in good ways. If you have any questions I am here, celebrating my 10 year cancer free anniversary in October. Stay strong, eat well and take advantage of the outpouring of support that comes with a cancer diagnosis. My sincere hope that you find some comfort and relief and are able to get back to your good place that you found before your diagnosis. 

Thank you for your response, it means so much to me. I'm so glad you are doing well 10 years from your original treatment.

I am mostly scared of doing treatment while in this setback. I also hate that I've had to use Trazadone to sleep and its now been 4 days. I'm trying not to use it and I hope I can step away from it. If I can't right now, I will have to accept it.

The medication indused agoraphobia is also an issue. I have to travel to my first treatment on Wednesday and then go from there. If I wasn't so compromised from the setback, I would be all right.

My other bir fear is having to consider taking an aromatase inhibitor. Did you take that?

Thank you for your kind support.

I hope others will join the group if they need to.

You are so very welcome. Don’t beat yourself up over the Trazadone use. You just had surgery and your body needs to heal, and you need regenerative sleep to heal. Even 33 months out I allow myself a hydroxyine every few weeks or so when insomnia/Akathasia rears it’s ugly head. Agoraphobia is very real and understandable. Is there someone that can go with you in support? Something magical occurs with a cancer diagnosis, unlike with invisible illnesses like migraine or psychiatric drug withdrawal, where support seems to come out of the woodwork, maybe because there is so much visibility and advocacy for cancers. (Get ready for pink ribbon October…it’s breast cancer month) I was prescribed three different aromatase inhibitors, but due to the side effects, mainly joint pain, I could not withstand the side effects on top of my already heightened migraine pain, exasperated by the chemo. I was given pre menopause and post menopause versions since I was only 43 and had chemo induced menopause. I was also having severe healing issues from DIEP reconstruction. My doctor and I decided it was best for me to forego the treatment and here I am 10 years later, just fine. I believe they say the first two years are the highest risk for relapse, which the inhibitors are supposed to prevent. Looking back I was probably also experiencing interdose withdrawal and didn’t know it at the time. I wish I could support you on the radiation piece but I don’t know much about it since I had nothing left to radiate. Lol.

As a side note, in January of this year I had an emergency appendectomy due to a ruptured appendicitis. My biggest fear in coming off all these meds was having to have another surgery of some sort. I told the anesthesiologist no benzos, and the doctor no Fluoroquinolones, but I had to take the opioids because the pain was so severe. They didn’t put me in a setback, but rather gave me a little respite from my ongoing benzo pain. If you find yourself in lots of pain I don’t think you should have to suffer further. We never know what drug will sit well with us and what won’t.

The fear that stems from benzo withdrawal is a real beast, and whispers doubt into your sense of well being.  I’m so sorry you are up against all of this at once, but you will come out the other side a stronger person. “They whispered to her, you cannot withstand the storm. I am the storm, she whispered back.”

Thank you. Yes I probably will have to not take the inhibitors because of the side effects.

It's good to know you didn't/couldn't and are healthy 10 years out.

My husband is going to take me for my treatments. He is a godsend to me.

• 3 months later...

Hi Final Healing,

Thought I would check in and see how you are holding up in your breast cancer journey. Are you still getting treatments? Are you healing well? I hope everything is going as well as can be and the road to recovery is a smooth one. Thought I would leave you with one of Bayissa's daily affirmation quotes:

"If ever I feel drained and overwhelmed, I acknowledge and validate how I feel, and then I remind myself that everything that is happening is a part of my healing." Take care, Tinkered