Help with Liquid prescription Valium

[An...]

Hi, I currently take 2.5.mg Valium and I want to switch to the prescription liquid. I am.guessing that would be the 5ml/5mg oral solution unless there is another one available. O know I need to add liquid to it to be able to make micro cuts.

Could someone tell me how much water to add and what the ratio would be? Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Hi, I currently take 2.5.mg Valium and I want to switch to the prescription liquid. I am.guessing that would be the 5ml/5mg oral solution unless there is another one available. O know I need to add liquid to it to be able to make micro cuts.

Could someone tell me how much water to add and what the ratio would be? Any advice would be appreciated.  Thank you.

There is another liquid V, Diazepam Intensol, but you do not want that. Its a 5mg=1ml concentrate.  The 5mg=5ml (1mg:1ml)  Diazepam Oral Solution  is the right option.

Dilute it 9:1 with water, and you have a very convenient .1mg=1ml dilute solution.

Thank you. Can you explain exactly what the 9:1 ratio is. Is that 9ml of water to 1ml of diazapam?  I'm not good with the math.

I'm confused with the .1mg/ml.  How much would I take to get 2.5 mg.  I apologize, its confusing to me. Thank you.

Thank you. Can you explain exactly what the 9:1 ratio is. Is that 9ml of water to 1ml of diazapam?  I'm not good with the math.

I'm confused with the .1mg/ml.  How much would I take to get 2.5 mg.  I apologize, its confusing to me. Thank you.

Yes, 9:1 means 9ml water for each 1ml of your Rx liquid.  You started with a 1mg=1ml solution, so if you dilute 9:1m then your solution will be .1mg=1ml.

Then 2.5mg would be 25ml.  See, no real math, just move the decimal point.

So if you wanted to cut .01mg/14 days (approx 5%/14 days), you would take...

2.5mg              25ml

2.49mg            24.9ml

2.48mg            24.8ml

2.47mg            24,8ml

etc....

Thank you for your help. That makes sense.  I also have Ativan to taper and currently take the liquid and it was suggested I switch to liquid Valium slowly and then slowly taper both at same time.  I know that's not recommended but it was suggested better to keep benzo levels the same.

Hello Ann0427-

Here is another option that may help to keep thing simple for you. Do not dilute the liquid. Dilution is not necessary with Valium as it is 20x less potent than klonopin or xanax.

So if you were to dose with your pharma liquid as is, your dose would look like this:

2.50mg            2.50ml

2.49mg            2.49ml

2.48mg            2.48ml

2.47mg            2.47ml

etc....

click image

oOVcb1x.png

If you use a 1ml tuberculin syringe like this you just measure out 1 line less everyday.

I currently take 1.5mg at 8 a.m. and 1 mg at noon. Would I still be able to do micro doses without diluting it?

I currently take 1.5mg at 8 a.m. and 1 mg at noon. Would I still be able to do micro doses without diluting it?

Yes, dosing would look like this reducing .01ml per day:

1.5ml      1ml

1.49ml    1ml

1.49ml    .99ml

1.48ml    .99ml

1.48ml    .98ml

Just alternate which dose you reduce .01 from each day (if that is the rate you are going to reduce)

Just FYI, the mfgr's label on the 5mg=5ml Diazepam Oral Solution says  "Dilute before using..."

Yes, you can use it undiluted, but dilution makes it much easier to measure out your doses (.1ml is easier to measure than .01ml) and dramatically reduces the error factor.

Just FYI, the mfgr's label on the 5mg=5ml Diazepam Oral Solution says "Dilute before using..."

Yes, you can use it undiluted, but dilution makes it much easier to measure out your doses (.1ml is easier to measure than .01ml) and dramatically reduces the error factor.

The Intensol must be diluted not the 5ml/5mg

It is my opinion there is more of a chance of error when diluting.

My reasoning is that if one were to dilute by filling a 10ml syringe 10 times to make a 100ml batch @ 1mg=10ml and measurements were off bysay .10ml each draw that would equal a total 1ml or .10mg each 100ml batch.

If one were to draw 1ml from a 5mg=5ml undiluted pharma solution and were off  .01ml (the same amount proportionally) that would be equal to .01mg.  So it stands to reason that there is a 90% more of a chance  of error when diluting.

And then when diluting you also have the contamination factor to consider as well. So why mess with something when it is not necessary.

I do recall reading somewhere that accuracy was not important and consistency was all that matters.

What ever works best for the individual... :)

Bella, if I said the sun rise in the East, you would disagree.  ::)

Go to this page,

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/fda/fdaDrugXsl.cfm?setid=1aaf9375-ae3d-4fed-9cd1-24102e00be1a&type=display

scroll down to  the label illustration for

"DIAZEPAM ORAL SOLUTION 5MG = 5ML".

Below that product descriptor you will find  the following:

SUGAR FREE

Each 5mL contains 5mg  diazepam USP

Dilute before using to enhance palatability

(emphasis added)

B

Go to this page,

https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/fda/fdaDrugXsl.cfm?setid=1aaf9375-ae3d-4fed-9cd1-24102e00be1a&type=display

SUGAR FREE

(emphasis added)

::)

Go to this page,

SUGAR FREE

(emphasis added)

yes, to enhance palletability nothing to do with the concentration like intensol.

Ditto ::)

My reasoning is that if one were to dilute by filling a 10ml syringe 10 times to make a 100ml batch @ 1mg=10ml and measurements were off bysay .10ml each draw that would equal a total 1ml or .10mg each 100ml batch.

If one were to draw 1ml from a 5mg=5ml undiluted pharma solution and were off  .01ml (the same amount proportionally) that would be equal to .01mg.  So it stands to reason that there is a 90% more of a chance  of error when diluting.

1)  If you're using a 10ml syringe to work with 100mls, you're using the wrong tool.  You could do it in one shot with a 100ml cylinder, or 2 shots with a 50-60ml syringe.

2)  If you take 10 consecutive measurements, the laws of probability say some errors will be over, some will be under, and the net effect will be even.  You know, like flipping a coin 10 times.

And with a .1mg=1ml solution, if you make a .1ml error, its only .01mgs.

And you're right, accuracy and precision are not really what its about.  Its just a lot easier to measure out small quantities with a dilute solution.

Bells, simple question...

Does the label include the words "Dilute before using..."?

Which is exactly the words and format I used in my original post, which you disputed.

Hello Ann0427-

Here is another option that may help to keep thing simple for you. Do not dilute the liquid. Dilution is not necessary with Valium as it is 20x less potent than klonopin or xanax.

So if you were to dose with your pharma liquid as is, your dose would look like this:

2.50mg            2.50ml

2.49mg            2.49ml

2.48mg            2.48ml

2.47mg            2.47ml

etc....

click image

oOVcb1x.png

If you use a 1ml tuberculin syringe like this you just measure out 1 line less everyday.

THIS!!! Thank you! I was going crazy thinking when I eventually feel capable of resuming my taper, if that ever happens, I wouldn't know how to do it and this way is so simple! In Spain what we have is a liquid with 2 mgs valium per ml of the liquid. One ml are 40 drops. So 40 drops equate 2 mgs of diazepam. So one drop equates 0.05 mgs of valium, which I hope will be small enough to taper without having to dilute it anywhere. I've been dry cutting lexapro for four years and valium for one but that didn't turn out too well so the liquid will be the next thing to try.

Ann0427, hope you have a very successful taper.

Bells, simple question...

Does the label include the words "Dilute before using..."?

Which is exactly the words and format I used in my original post, which you disputed.

I disputed this because in my original post I replied  to the op suggesting"not to dilute the Valium" and explained why (see quoted post below).Then you come along with your "fyi"  implying that it is necessary to dilute, conveniently omitting the part about "enhance palatability" when in fact dilution is only necessary for Intensol concentration(see quoted post below)

This type of posting causes even more confusion for the reader and is unnecessary. Agree to disagree and stop your gaslighting builder. I am not going to allow this thread to continue to be disrupted with your nonsense.

Hello Ann0427-

2.50mg            2.50ml

2.49mg            2.49ml

2.48mg            2.48ml

2.47mg            2.47ml

etc....

Just FYI, the mfgr's label on the 5mg=5ml Diazepam Oral Solution says  "Dilute before using..."

Yes, all this has confused me more.  I like the idea of diluting because it is easier to make small cuts. Atleastnit is with the liquid Ativan I take as well.

I am 16 months into Effexor withdrawal and still unstable and not sure if I should hold or taper. I have been on benzos a year and not sure how to proceed, but just want off

In my opinion, diluting is always the better choice.  builder answered your questions, which you understand and seem to agree by your replies. Don't allow unnecessary comments and/or drama confuse you.

Effexor is a stimulating A/D, it is good you've tapered off it, albeit a bit too quickly.

If it were me, I would slowly taper the Ativan and hold the diazepam steady. Once that is tapered, then tackle the diazepam slowly.

Please do listen to your body, you're still dealing with the Effexor withdrawal.

Wanting off is terrific, being off and healthy is an even better outcome.

.  I like the idea of diluting because it is easier to make small cuts

And that's why its a good practice! :thumbsup:

The underlying concept of all my suggestions for a liquid taper is to make it as easy as possible.

It was suggested that I taper both benzos at once to try to avoid tolerance and the longer im on the benzos  the more damage they are doing. If I taper one at a time at 10% or less cut a month plus holds I'm looking at 8 years to be benzo free.

You dilute for several reasons.

1. Undiluted the liquid valium is very harsh tasting.  Once diluted to a 9 to one ratio of water to liquid Valium it tastes like mild cough syrup.

2. The liquid valium is quite sticky and if you take it directly a small amount might stick in the syringe.

3. Most importantly, diluting the liquid valium gives you a solution with a lower concentration of valium, which allows you taper daily by a smaller amount.

I use a 10 ML syringe that has markings down to .2ml.  If the liquid valium was undiluted I could only make cuts by .2 mg.  But diluted I can make cuts

by .02 mg.  This works better for a daily liquid micro taper.

Here is how I mix liquid Valium/Diazepam with water to create my daily solution.  I make a large batch that I later draw my doses from because it is much easier than trying to mix one dose at a time when I need it.

What I am writing in this post is an example.  You could certainly make a larger batch with a larger container as long as you follow the ratio of 1 ml of liquid valium for every 9 ml of water.  As Builder has explained, this makes the math easier while tapering and provides you a solution with a lower concentration of valium, which allows you taper daily by a smaller amount.  This creates for an easier taper.

I use a 10 ML syringe that I bought in a batch from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JJYMOP6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And a jar that I bought from them:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076DJHYK4/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can use a different jar, the most important thing being that it can seal tightly.  I bought several of the jars in case I break one. 

I use the 10 ML syringe to measure out 10 ML of water and I spray that into the bottom of the  jar.  I do that twice so that I have 20 ml of water at the bottom of the jar.  This prevents any of the liquid Diazepam from sticking to the bottom of the jar--even though it would be an imperceiveable amount if any.

I then use the same syringe to draw out 10 mg of liquid Diazepam and spray it into the jar with the 20 ml of water.  I do this again and draw an additional 10 ml of liquid valium and spray it into the second jar with the water.

The jar now has 20 ml of water and 20 ml of liquid diazepam in it.

I then use the same syringe to draw 10 ml of water and spray it into the jar.  I repeat this 14 times so that the jar now has a total of 180 ml of water and 20 ml of liquid diazepam in it. 

By drawing the water into the same syringe after I used it to draw the liquid diazepam and spraying it into the jar, I make sure to wash out any of the liquid Diazepam that might have stuck in the syringe--although none is visible to me.

I now have a jar with 200 ml of solution with the water at a 9-1 ratio with the liquid diazepam.  At this point I close and shake the jar.  I also shake it every day before drawing my daily dose.

Another thing that I do is pour a bunch of the liquid diazepam out of its container into a glass jar and use that to draw from to make my mixture. 

I do this for two reasons:

1. It is very hard and awkward to draw the liquid diazepam out of its container while it is much easier to do so out of a jar since the jar has a wider top to get the syringe into and is smaller and easier to work with.

2. I am afraid that I might wind up dropping or spilling the liquid diazepam container if I am trying to tilt it to draw liquid out of it with a syringe. 

When taking my dose, I shake the jar with the mixture, open it, and use the 10 ml syringe to draw out 10 ml of the mixture.  Then I spray it down my throat.

Remember, Each 10 ML of the liquid I mixed consists of 9 ml of water and 1 Ml of liquid Valium/Diazepam.

I take as many 10 ml doses as I need for each mg of Valium that I take.

The 10 ML syringes have 4 markings between each individual ml mark to allow you to measure .2 of each ml.  This allows you to gradually taper. 

You might also want a 1 ML syringe to make finer cuts: https://www.amazon.com/Syringe-Luer-Slip-Needle-Non-Sterile/dp/B01N01TO2O/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544846668&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=1ml+syringe&psc=1

You dilute for several reasons.

1. Undiluted the liquid valium is very harsh tasting.  Once diluted to a 9 to one ratio of water to liquid Valium it tastes like mild cough syrup.

2. The liquid valium is quite sticky and if you take it directly a small amount might stick in the syringe.

3. Most importantly, diluting the liquid valium gives you a solution with a lower concentration of valium, which allows you taper daily by a smaller amount.

I use a 10 ML syringe that has markings down to .2ml.  If the liquid valium was undiluted I could only make cuts by .2 mg.  But diluted I can make cuts

by .02 mg.  This works better for a daily liquid micro taper.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The daily liquid micro taper is most useful for when tapering with pills has become too difficult due to the withdrawal symptoms.

Keep in mind that I started tapering with valium pills after crossing over from 1 mg of Klonopin a day to 20 MG of valium.  I was using a mix of 10 mg, and 2 mg pills.  From 20 mg a day down to 10 my a day I was doing straight cuts by 1 mg of valium and holding for about 10 days to 2 weeks.  I was using 2 mg vailium pills and cutting them in half to enable me to make 1 mg cuts,  Once I got to 10 mg of valium, I started cutting the 2mg valium pills in quarters, to allow me to make cuts by .5 mg. 

Once I got down to about 7.5 mg per day symptoms started getting quite noticible.  When I dropped from 7 mg a day to 6.5 mg a day they got really bad, to the point where I was getting hit for several weeks after a cut.  I had to reduce my .5 mg cuts down to about once a month.  I realized as I cut lower the .5mg cuts would represent a higher percentage of my daily dose and likely result in worse symptoms.

After I got down to 6 mg a day and stabilized, I switched over to doing a DLMT, which allowed me to make very small cuts on a daily basis which made life infinitely more livable.  I am now down to about 2.9mg of valium per day and currently have no symptoms.  I did have some stretches where I tapered to much to quickly and felt it.

And once again I must thank Builder, whose posts and patient explanations allowed me to do this.

Yes, dosing would look like this reducing .01ml per day:

1.5ml      1ml

1.49ml    1ml

1.49ml    .99ml

1.48ml    .99ml

1.48ml    .98ml

Just alternate which dose you reduce .01 from each day (if that is the rate you are going to reduce)

Bella Amis,

Do people taper successfully using the liquid diazepam without diluting it? I'm still on 2.5 after updosing and I want to take it really slowly. I was dry cutting and I'm scared of doing that again. I was thinking the liquid diazepam because the diluting I find too complicated. Again my question, do many people come off successfully with the liquid diazepam without diluting it? Thank you, hope you get to read this. I'm sure you will know as you're a senior moderator.