Paulina Porizkova talks antidepressant addiction and withdrawal

[e4...]

Yes, I like how she puts the pill mentality into perspective toward the end. But, look at the very last paragraph, this is what she wrote after that. If it's true and not a play on words, she has no idea what she's just swapped an AD for.

Her words:

"My affair with an antidepressant reinforced what I already knew: I'm not one for affairs. I'd rather fight tooth and nail to keep and restore what I have than take a break from it. But that is so much easier said than done with a KLONOPIN IN MY POCKET."

Her AD withdrawal:

"The weaning was predictably unpleasant, three weeks of being tired and shaky from wrangling with awful dreams."

Gosh. She has no idea.

I agree the Klonopin remark was irresponsible even if it was made "tongue in cheek."  If it wasn't so serious it actually would be funny.

I also agree that AD w/d is a cake walk compared to benzo w/d.  I have to always make sure that I don't minimize a persons suffering when they discuss w/d from ADs or Opiates.  I've been through these as well and quite frankly it is apple and oranges if you know what I mean.  No comparison.  But if a person feels their suffering is minimized it will discourage some from finishing/staying off the substance.

Thanks for posting the article.

[e4...]

"My affair with an antidepressant reinforced what I already knew: I'm not one for affairs. I'd rather fight tooth and nail to keep and restore what I have than take a break from it. But that is so much easier said than done with a KLONOPIN IN MY POCKET.

I agree the Klonopin remark was irresponsible even if it was made "tongue in cheek."  If it wasn't so serious it actually would be funny.

I'm so glad you both mentioned this.  I've read and reread this article and this last quote is simply not in line with the rest of the article.  I assume it's just her being cheeky, but it bothered me. 

M