Celebrity Rehab 4

[su...]

I watched this show!! When the Dr. said benzo withdrawal and panic attack, I almost jumped from my chair! That told me that she was going 21 days cold turkey. I wonder if she is doing OK? Hope so......

Linda

on this show i saw something VERY disturbing to me.. it was on one of the earlier episodes. it showed Leif garrett Waking up in the morning and throwing up from heroin W/D and the nurse slaps something on his chest before even telling him what it was.. he asked "what was that" she replied "a Klonopin patch" i could not believe what I was seeing!!! i understand he was in pain but you think they would at least tell him what it was and explain its dangers before giving it to him!!! it just did not make sense as i thought there is many other things that help heroin W/D like methadone and what not and they go straight for the benzo.. as they are treating other patients for Benzo addiction in the same facility!!!!!!

Crazyness...

on this show i saw something VERY disturbing to me.. it was on one of the earlier episodes. it showed Leif garrett Waking up in the morning and throwing up from heroin W/D and the nurse slaps something on his chest before even telling him what it was.. he asked "what was that" she replied "a Klonopin patch" i could not believe what I was seeing!!! i understand he was in pain but you think they would at least tell him what it was and explain its dangers before giving it to him!!! it just did not make sense as i thought there is many other things that help heroin W/D like methadone and what not and they go straight for the benzo.. as they are treating other patients for Benzo addiction in the same facility!!!!!!

Crazyness...

:o That makes me sick to hear. Ugh, you are right, they are just adding more misery on top of misery with that!

Your right it was not him throwing up.. at 7 Minutes and 20 seconds or so it does show leif and she does put a patch on him.. It sounds like she says klonopin patch? I'm not positive how it is pronounced but thats what it sounds like to me? I'm really not sure..I'm  curious now what it is!!! Thanks for pulling the scene up!  :thumbsup:

I saw the show where they put the patch on. I never could make out what she called it. I backed up more than once to hear what she was saying but with no luck. She sounded like she was mumbling.

Sundaze- I just wanted to let you know that this thread is very interesting. I like the way you put the info out there for us. I will be back ALOT to see more. Most appreciated!

Linda

since I don't have vh1 and forgot how to use a tv haha I am relying on that website to ad more of the episodes, I saw the first 3 and I think there are 6 more...hope they ad them but from all the things that go on in here it seems like the show is sugar coated idk

Sundaze,

I watched the whole thing and yes, it is sugar coated. You know that they dont show half of what gones on in there, just the drama TV stuff that sells. Keep up the thread. I enjoy it alot.

Linda

that was not leif throwing up and she did not say klonopin patch

http://www.vh1.com/video/shows/full-episodes/episode-2/1653341/playlist.jhtml

7:00

I didn't watch it but I am certain it was a clonidine patch, it lowers blood pressure and it's supposed to help withdrawals, but they don't work.  I had a nurse put one on me when I was in rehab, miserable feeling as they make you extremely lightheaded.

the other day they had the 6 month reunion

Janice said she had been taking ambien xanax and ativan for years

she went c/t and she is doing fine now...

another benzo survivor

make a note of it

Saw it Sundaze. Yes she did say that. She also said she was going back to the rehab 3/4 times a week getting councilling. That would be a great help if you can find the right Doctor. I like Dr. Drew. He really talks and works with all those people.

I read the post from zachman about the clonidine patch. I have never even heard of it but it got my attention cause my BP goes high when I get overly anxious. It scares me and that just makes it go higher. Any ideas on that?

Linda

Linda getting a spike in BP is kinda normal in panic attacks, I know I have got them and it makes it worse taking the reading and seeing it...just have to calm down and breath deep for at least 10 minutes.

Janice also said or Dr. Drew said she had withdrawal for 4 months after her c/t but as you can see from the show she was not bed ridden!  

sundaze

I can identify so much with Janice. The episode where she breaks down and the therapist says, "this is benzo withdrawal" was very tough for me to watch. But look at how great she's doing now! She's like a brother in arms or something. Sometimes I feel like I want to write her a letter saying she was part of the inspiration for me to get off the benzos.

Yes, the show is very sugar-coated. But that's TV for you. You can tell Dr. Drew really cares about them.

Saw it Sundaze. Yes she did say that. She also said she was going back to the rehab 3/4 times a week getting councilling. That would be a great help if you can find the right Doctor. I like Dr. Drew. He really talks and works with all those people.

I read the post from zachman about the clonidine patch. I have never even heard of it but it got my attention cause my BP goes high when I get overly anxious. It scares me and that just makes it go higher. Any ideas on that?

Linda

The Clonodine Patch is probably helpful in the most extreme part of acute drug (opioid or benzo) withdrawal, the first couple of weeks when seizures are also a risk.  It does make sense for some, it just didn't work for me because benzo withdrawal was making me lightheaded to begin with.  I don't think a doctor would prescribe the patch for panic disorder/withdrawal issues unless it was in an impatient setting, could be wrong though.

Linda

Hey Linda,

It's Al. I don't know much about clonodine but I do know some people who take propranalol to get over social anxiety. It is not addictive. I think they have similar properties and both reduce blood pressure. You only take propranolol as a pill when you need it. Musicians take it to get over stage fright. A psychiatrist told me half the symphony takes it before a performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propranolol

Linda

Hey Linda,

It's Al. I don't know much about clonodine but I do know some people who take propranalol to get over social anxiety. It is not addictive. I think they have similar properties and both reduce blood pressure. You only take propranolol as a pill when you need it. Musicians take it to get over stage fright. A psychiatrist told me half the symphony takes it before a performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propranolol

Hi benzene,

Please read our policy about medical advice, it's difficult to know where to draw the line, so I'm hoping the examples provided will help.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=25837.0

Pam

[63...]

There have been several celebrities and so on that have been on Benzo's.. and it seems to me they should speak out more, but they don't. To name a few Elton John, Stevie Nicks, Eminem.. it's like they just push it aside, also Winona Ryder, she was hooked on xanax.. it was 2007.. as I remember, how did that ever come about.. who knows?

K.

Well a lot of the earlier seasons were like heroin and crack addicts and alcoholics. But the newer seasons have a lot more accidental prescription drug addicts...

I agree Dr. Drew has the pulpit to get this issue in the headlines but this is showbiz. If  I was a eloquent writer with good grammar skills ect... I would write to him and ask him to make benzo issues Public Enemy # 1

I did send Shelly a email thanking her for what she does and I told her about my dependency on Ativan

she wrote me back telling me to keep going to meetings.... great advice; NOT !

I don't do AA meetings... I know many people do but I don't.

Keep Coming Back it works !