Lies, Lies, Lies

[Ho...]

I was doing some reading about long term benzodiazepine use, and upon googling "Long term Xanax use" I found this Q&A session on CNN's website with an "expert" (idiot).

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/expert.q.a/03/23/xanax.long.term.use.raison/index.html

"It has been folk wisdom within medicine that using benzodiazepines for a long time is a bad idea. They were believed to make people mentally slow. However, recent years have produced a number of studies comparing people who have taken a benzodiazepine for years nonstop with people who have never taken a benzodiazepine. Most of these studies show no ill effects of benzodiazepines on either mental functioning or physical health. On the other hand, chronic anxiety is a life-destroyer of the first order, and is at least as big a risk factor for suicide as is depression.

So, we don't know how the long-term use of benzodiazepines changes the brain, nor do we know how long it would take for all effects of these medications to go away. Withdrawal-type symptoms typically resolve in a week or two depending on the half-life of the specific benzodiazepine involved, which suggests that at a gross level, the brain returns to normal fairly quickly. But whether subtler changes persist is unknown."

Lies.

So, we don't know how the long-term use of benzodiazepines changes the brain, nor do we know how long it would take for all effects of these medications to go away. Withdrawal-type symptoms typically resolve in a week or two depending on the half-life of the specific benzodiazepine involved, which suggests that at a gross level, the brain returns to normal fairly quickly. But whether subtler changes persist is unknown."

Thanks for posting this HotelYorba! 

It's so frustrating isn't it?

It never ceases to amaze me how little some of these "experts" know.  While no doubt true that not everyone has a rough time getting off benzos, it's equally true that many in fact do.  I think prof. Ashton's studies and those of us currently going through w/d are proof enough of that.

I was doing some reading about long term benzodiazepine use, and upon googling "Long term Xanax use" I found this Q&A session on CNN's website with an "expert" (idiot).

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/expert.q.a/03/23/xanax.long.term.use.raison/index.html

"It has been folk wisdom within medicine that using benzodiazepines for a long time is a bad idea. They were believed to make people mentally slow. However, recent years have produced a number of studies comparing people who have taken a benzodiazepine for years nonstop with people who have never taken a benzodiazepine. Most of these studies show no ill effects of benzodiazepines on either mental functioning or physical health. On the other hand, chronic anxiety is a life-destroyer of the first order, and is at least as big a risk factor for suicide as is depression.

Lies.

Definitely sad and frustrating to read something like this. Unreal!

I get very pissed off after reading stuff like that. That whole article is bologna. In the article he also says "gamma receptors". What a moron wrapped in an idiot.