ABC News, Medical Unit Report (USA) - Benzodiazepines

[Ti...]

A friend sent the link below to me today, and it confirms the devastating effects that benzodiazepines have on those who have used them here in the U.S.  I am hoping that the word spreads throughout the world, so that benzo's will be taken off the market, and that more research will be conducted here in the U.S.  Click on the link below:

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/DepressionNews/story?id=6354685&page=1

Hi Tiffany,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  This news article features the BenzoBuddies site owner Colin.  Thanks for your interest.  Is there anything we can do for you?

Pam

Hi Tiffany,

Yes, it was shameless piece of self-promotion! Honestly, I'm quite shy of this kind of thing, but (flawed) articles like this can only help.

Benzos do not need to be taken off the market. They have some pretty unique uses for some rare conditions. They also serve a purpose as premeds to operations. Whether or not they can serve a purpose for very short term use (a few days or a week) to treat anxiety, insomnia, muscle spasms, etc., is a topic for discussion. I wouldn't ban them, but I would certainly have their use properly regulated.

Edit: Oops, I meant to add a link to the original thread on this forum: http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=10914.0

Hi Colin,

Great job Colin on the article, I only wish there were more publications circulating, as the public needs to be informed, and of course, all the doctors.  I agree that benzo's are okay to be used as premeds to surgical procedures.  However, I feel they need to be banned from being used as a prescription drug to patients.  For example:  If a patient was having anxiety, etc., and they went to a doctor who gave them a prescription for benzo's, but only for a few days, I suspect that the patient would get relief in that short period of time.  However, the patient may find a new doctor to get the prescription renewed because of the temporary relief, and that is a huge problem.  In my opinion, it only takes 10 days to become addicted to this nasty, toxic drug.  I'm sure there are other medications that can be used other than benzo's.

I was prescribed benzo's, and took them for almost four months, off now for 19 months, for which the suffering was unbearable and horrendous.  I am better now, but I continue to suffer w/d symptoms each and every day.  Benzo's have ruined almost two years of my life.

• 1 month later...

It gives me nothing but hope to see that the dangers of benzos and the suffering of those prescribed them is being put into the public eye.

Thank you!

Steph

Hi Colin,

Great job Colin on the article, I only wish there were more publications circulating, as the public needs to be informed, and of course, all the doctors.  I agree that benzo's are okay to be used as premeds to surgical procedures.  However, I feel they need to be banned from being used as a prescription drug to patients.  For example:  If a patient was having anxiety, etc., and they went to a doctor who gave them a prescription for benzo's, but only for a few days, I suspect that the patient would get relief in that short period of time.  However, the patient may find a new doctor to get the prescription renewed because of the temporary relief, and that is a huge problem.  In my opinion, it only takes 10 days to become addicted to this nasty, toxic drug.  I'm sure there are other medications that can be used other than benzo's.

I was prescribed benzo's, and took them for almost four months, off now for 19 months, for which the suffering was unbearable and horrendous.  I am better now, but I continue to suffer w/d symptoms each and every day.  Benzo's have ruined almost two years of my life.

Hi Tiffany,

Sorry, I somehow missed your post.

There are procedures in place (in the US, at least), to monitor patients that shop around doctors for prescription after prescription - some kind of central register. I don't know if it countrywide, or if it is run by individual states - I'm pretty sure that it is not doing a bang-up job, at least in the case of benzodiazepines. Here, in the UK, it is usual for your records to be transferred when you switch doctor. In any case, there is not enough monitoring, wherever we live. Although things might be improving (slightly), very many doctors continue to prescribe benzodiazepines against guidelines. Many doctors seem to feel that they can ignore the guidelines, even though their knowledge is limited regarding any particular decision/treatment. I don't expect doctors to know everything - I just expect them to acknowledge the limits of their knowledge, and unless there are very good reasons, they should adhere to the guidelines.

The guidelines sometimes might be lacking too, but at least they are usually given more careful and expert consideration then is possible by a General Practitioner. The most common guideline of 2-4 weeks usage for benzodiazepines, will not cause dependency/addiction in most individuals, but I tend to agree, it would be better if 2 weeks was the upper limit in the guidelines. More, doctors should be positively discouraged from prescribing benzodiazepines for anxiety and insomnia (at the very least). I am not, though, one of those that thinks benzodiazepines should be banned. There are problems with how they are prescribed. All drugs are potentially very problematical if prescribed inappropriately. Those that shout benzos should be banned, may as well shout all drugs and doctors should be banned - obviously, a ridiculous notion.

It gives me nothing but hope to see that the dangers of benzos and the suffering of those prescribed them is being put into the public eye.

Thank you!

Steph

Hi Steph,

There continue to be problems with how benzodiazepines are prescribed. Those that are already dependent, should have greater access to real help and support to quit. It think it will take a long time yet for the prescribing of benzodiazepines to be properly controlled, but I think it will come.

I think it has a long way to go, also, but at least people are becoming more aware.

i know that i am thankful that there are so many sites that address the issue.

be well.

"Keep the faith"

Steph

• 2 weeks later...

Great article. 

I too am of the school that there is definitely a place for benzos, but there is still a huge problem of them being over-prescribed.  I guess we all want a quick fix for our anxiety, insomnia, pain or whatever.  Are we demanding too much of our doctors, do we feel our problems have been ignored if we don't come away from our doctors with a pill to "fix the problem".  I know I have been disappointed when I've been to my GP with the flu and he's told me its a virus, it must run its course - antiobiotics won't help it.

Benzos are of course a different kettle of fish to antiobiotics and it is obvious that some doctors haven't yet heeded the many warnings that are out there re the addiction to these drugs.  I know from my own experience I went to a psychiatrist hoping to learn some therapies to get me through my anxiety, he of course persuaded me that Clonazepam was the answer.  For a while I agreed with him as I felt great.  In fact he said to me at a later appointment "I thought I would just give you some pills and then I wouldn't need to see you again".  That's when the alarm bells went off with me.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Great Job Colin...I as well do not agree for benzos to be taken off the market, just not ment to be used everyday because thats where the problems start w/ the addiction..

Hi,

All meds carry their own set of side effects and problems. Does this mean that we should ban all medicines? Some people demand that benzodiazepines should be banned - this is a nonsense. However, benzodiazepines are prescribed routinely, as though they are benign - they are not benign! Although there have been some changes in prescribing practices, they are still way over-prescribed. I hope this changes soon, but given the very slow progress in this regard over the past few decades, I won't be holding my breath.