Genetics Research Working Group

[as...]

I am interested in forming a working group of others who are willing to run their genetics through Seeking Health's Strategene program and Sequencing.com's Genome Explorer and help me compare and contrast this with my results as it relates to metabolism of various neurotransmitters. I have found similarities between mine and another buddy's report in regards to histamine, serotonin and estrogen/progesterone, which I believe are major players in withdrawal.

The reason that this could be beneficial is that if we can find a pattern to those of us who have such difficulty getting off these drugs or in protracted withdrawal, it will give us an idea of where the issues are re recovery-- what genes and which neurotransmitters are the major offenders. Up until now, I think we've just done a bunch of guessing about the GABA receptors and what the biochemical problems are. As we know, these neurochemicals affect each other in profound ways that are so numerous that it's almost impossible to tease out which neurochemicals are the ones causing problems. We've had lots of conjecture, but we haven't combined all of our data in any meaningful way.

I am not asking for a copy of anyone's personal genetic report or anything like that-- I just want results regarding specific genes. Also, since we are all anonymous on here, we never have to know each other's names in regards to the genetics. In this way, we can keep it all confidential. 

Mainly, I just want people to indicate their slow and fast genes in the Strategene Report, not their normal genes. The Strategene report very clearly shows you which genes are fast or slow in the report. (*When I say slow or fast gene, what I mean is that certain genetic snps/genes cause enzymatic reactions involved in metabolism of neurotransmitters to go slow or fast or normal speed. When metabolism is slowed down or sped up, it causes bottle necks and problems in neuro homeostasis)

LMK anyone's thoughts or interest. It may yield nothing helpful at all. But it's worth looking at, I think.

Genes of interest at the outset:

Serotonin:

TPH1

TPH2

HTR1A, 2A, 2C, 3A, 3B

MAOA, MAOB

ALDH 1B, 1C, 2

Histamine:

DAO

HNMT

NAT2

ALDH family

Estrogen/Progesterone:

COMT

AKR1C1,2,3,4

SRD5A1, 2

Thanks, Quinn  :)

• 1 month later...

Just seen this Quinn I know I have a slow COMT gene not sure about the rest, I did mine with Self-decode and am in too bad a wave to go check out the others. But am also interested about this as I can't understand the report/results  properly myself, brains too messed up, and my pains 24/7  hell too. :(

Nova  :smitten: