Need advice from buddies doing or did ashton-I'm in c/o from x to v-Help!

[wi...]

Please, I need to hear from Ashton buddies who have experience with the method. I'm in to my ashton taper a few months. About 8 or so weeks in to ashton crossover from 2mg x, 26years, to 40mg diazapam> I just  read the whole ashton manual and read that these taper schedules were actually schedules that patients came up with which worked well for them.  Major panic attack here!

I've not even crossed all the way over to all valium/diazepam, and I feel the xanax cuts wd sx's, still with these suggested schedules.

I get mad at myself because I thought crossing over would mean super easy. I have to remind myself this is a learning curve, but suffering is hard.  I remember these sx's when I was micro tapering xanax alone very slowly and still feeling the hands and legs with that trembling, weird numbness, burning skin, chemical fear, dark or ridiculous intrusive thoughts.  Ashton's printed schedules take you off the xanax faster while incorporating diazepam.

I also read that the Valium was supposed to cover up the sx's of xanax interdose w/d by now.

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow who has agreed to do the ashton method/crossover with me to get me off the benzos.

Sedation and depression evident with valium. Mental sx's still appear like they did when I was DMT xanax alone.  No motivation since the start of this whole ordeal year ago.

How to tell if the valium is a bad drug for me because I feel so bad win this stage of ashton (stage 8 on schedule 7, this schedule is for tapering from 4mg xanax, so I did the math and just halved the tapering milligrams since I was coming off 2mg, not 4). 26 years of it though!  I've held each stage after stage 5 for two weeks, and today is 2 weeks of doing stage eight).  Can I hold during the crossover period if I feel like hell, do I grit my teeth and move ahead?  We know we are all different.  Unfortunately, Ashton Manual doesn't give you specifics on certain things.

I'm driving myself crazy ruminating on questions like is it the diazepam or the xanax cuts causing the pain..or is it just the taper.  I thought ashton would be a walk on the beach compared to DMT. I wanted that be true so bad.

I hope I'm making sense.  I'm feeling overwhelmed and having one of those weeks where I'm questioning everything from is this worth it(the suffering).  I hope to get some comforting and helpful replies..I need you all big time.  I feel the fear in the pit of my stomach that I am doomed (lizard brain/human fear of this difficult and trial and error process).

widesky,

I am not doing Ashton exactly, it just the way things worked out for me (I love and respect Ashton, it's just not the way my pdoc started the taper).  Anyway, I see and hear you as I am tapering off 1.5mg Xanax XR by crossing over to Valium.  I feel your pain and just want to say you are not alone in this battle.  Motivation is a big issue for me too!  I have to force myself to do things, but I keep thinking about the light at the end of the tunnel and that's what keeps me going.

Lots of love and hugs to you.  I wish I could be of more help.

• 3 weeks later...
[10...]

Hi Widesky,

I do see Heather Ashton as my hero, but I agree the schedules can be way too rapid. For me they are for sure.

Here are my recommendations: make no larger cuts than 5% than your current dose.

There's no rush in tapering. The turtle beats the hare, I would say. Let your brain and body deserve gentleness. You could taper after a month or so. I've read success sotories about people who did a symptom based taper.

Something to consider.

Best of luck.

Please, I need to hear from Ashton buddies who have experience with the method. I'm in to my ashton taper a few months. About 8 or so weeks in to ashton crossover from 2mg x, 26years, to 40mg diazapam> I just  read the whole ashton manual and read that these taper schedules were actually schedules that patients came up with which worked well for them.  Major panic attack here!

I've not even crossed all the way over to all valium/diazepam, and I feel the xanax cuts wd sx's, still with these suggested schedules.

I get mad at myself because I thought crossing over would mean super easy. I have to remind myself this is a learning curve, but suffering is hard.  I remember these sx's when I was micro tapering xanax alone very slowly and still feeling the hands and legs with that trembling, weird numbness, burning skin, chemical fear, dark or ridiculous intrusive thoughts.  Ashton's printed schedules take you off the xanax faster while incorporating diazepam.

I also read that the Valium was supposed to cover up the sx's of xanax interdose w/d by now.

I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow who has agreed to do the ashton method/crossover with me to get me off the benzos.

Sedation and depression evident with valium. Mental sx's still appear like they did when I was DMT xanax alone.  No motivation since the start of this whole ordeal year ago.

How to tell if the valium is a bad drug for me because I feel so bad win this stage of ashton (stage 8 on schedule 7, this schedule is for tapering from 4mg xanax, so I did the math and just halved the tapering milligrams since I was coming off 2mg, not 4). 26 years of it though!  I've held each stage after stage 5 for two weeks, and today is 2 weeks of doing stage eight).  Can I hold during the crossover period if I feel like hell, do I grit my teeth and move ahead?  We know we are all different.  Unfortunately, Ashton Manual doesn't give you specifics on certain things.

I'm driving myself crazy ruminating on questions like is it the diazepam or the xanax cuts causing the pain..or is it just the taper.  I thought ashton would be a walk on the beach compared to DMT. I wanted that be true so bad.

I hope I'm making sense.  I'm feeling overwhelmed and having one of those weeks where I'm questioning everything from is this worth it(the suffering).  I hope to get some comforting and helpful replies..I need you all big time.  I feel the fear in the pit of my stomach that I am doomed (lizard brain/human fear of this difficult and trial and error process).