Does this make sense?

[co...]

Does this make any sense Or am I looking at this process wrong?

I will be seeing my Pdoc on 7/27.  At that time, I will have hopefully tapered to 2mg Valium (liquid).  The liquid is much easier for me and making small cuts is easier on symptoms- so far that is.  I know that won't be forever, but I am prepared.

Anyway, I was thinking of switching the morning dose of 1mg Xanax XR to .5mg Xanax XR with an evening dose of Valium 12mg.  Taper the evening dose of Valium like I just did.  I did a direct switch of .5mg Xanax XR to 10mg Valium and tapered.  Instead of waiting until I get down to 0 Valium in the evening to lower the morning dose of Xanax XR to .5mg,  Can I just do it earlier and add on the 2mg Valium in the evening?

This will then put me at .5mg Xanax XR morning- 12mg Valium Evening.  Then taper the evening dose of Valium like I just did.  I will then figure out how to taper the .5mg Xanax XR when that times comes.

Thoughts?

I like your plan, keeping a steady dose of Valium in your system is smart and in my opinion will make it easier to do a direct switch instead of doing it in steps. 

Does this make any sense Or am I looking at this process wrong?

I will be seeing my Pdoc on 7/27.  At that time, I will have hopefully tapered to 2mg Valium (liquid).  The liquid is much easier for me and making small cuts is easier on symptoms- so far that is.  I know that won't be forever, but I am prepared.

Anyway, I was thinking of switching the morning dose of 1mg Xanax XR to .5mg Xanax XR with an evening dose of Valium 12mg.  Taper the evening dose of Valium like I just did.  I did a direct switch of .5mg Xanax XR to 10mg Valium and tapered.  Instead of waiting until I get down to 0 Valium in the evening to lower the morning dose of Xanax XR to .5mg,  Can I just do it earlier and add on the 2mg Valium in the evening?

This will then put me at .5mg Xanax XR morning- 12mg Valium Evening.  Then taper the evening dose of Valium like I just did.  I will then figure out how to taper the .5mg Xanax XR when that times comes.

Thoughts?

Hi Cooper, Pamster makes a very good point, but here’s another option to consider.

I’m thinking your body is used to the night dose of Valium being so low. Upping the night dose I think will be some impact to your system. Instead why not consider doing the crossover with your morning dose of Xanax to Valium. Your already used to this high morning dose so it may be less impacting. You also may be able to go to less Valium than the Ashton 20/1 ratio as you do a stepwise crossover transition. We can help With the crossover if you like let us know. Either way you have our support

Joeb

I absolutely love that Joeb is giving you another option to consider and its based on his experience with tapering and the drug.  :smitten:

Thank you Pamster and Joeb! 

Joeb, I would love help on a crossover for the morning dose of Xanax- the only issue is it's Xanax XR and not the IR.  The lowest dose it comes in is .5mg.  I would love to be on just Valium and crossover as I know I can taper from the Valium, its' so much easier for me once my body gets used to it. 

It's just getting there that I am not sure how to navigate. 

Thanks for the reply and help!

Thank you Pamster and Joeb! 

Joeb, I would love help on a crossover for the morning dose of Xanax- the only issue is it's Xanax XR and not the IR.  The lowest dose it comes in is .5mg.  I would love to be on just Valium and crossover as I know I can taper from the Valium, its' so much easier for me once my body gets used to it. 

It's just getting there that I am not sure how to navigate. 

Thanks for the reply and help!

Hey Cooper I looked at wd schedule 7 in the Ashton manual and it’s for 4 mg and dosing 4 times a day so since your only at 1mg and a total of 2 doses here’s what I would recommend assuming you will be at 2 mg v pm and you want to keep just 2 doses

Valium can be very sedating so as I said before you may be able to get away with less on the crossover

Week 0.      1mg X.  2mg V

Week 1-2.  .5mg X.  2mg V

10mg V.

Week 3-4.  20mg V.  2mg V

* You decide to hold 1-2 weeks or longer until your stable

* you decide to use less Valium than the 20/1 Ashton ratio

Maybe initially try the 20/1 and if it’s too sedating you can reduce it or use less on the next phase, or try less to start and see how it feels

I found it very sedating so I went lower on my third week of my crossover

Let me know if any questions

Joeb

Joeb, I really like this plan and would love to cross over to Valium completely.  I am seeing my Pdoc 7/27.  I am going to run this by him and hopefully he agrees.  When I crossed from .5mg X to 10mg V, I found it sedating as well, but it was so much easier to taper for me.  It did also come with depression, but that lifted in about a month.  I can't wait to be fully crossed over to Valium!  It has been much kinder to me then Xanax and I am actually tapering it successfully!  I never even thought I would get this far and was so scared to taper again after a failed taper in the past.  I am encouraged and can't wait to get off the Xanax and slowly taper with Valium. 

Thank you again for your time and post- I really appreciate you!

Joeb, I really like this plan and would love to cross over to Valium completely.  I am seeing my Pdoc 7/27.  I am going to run this by him and hopefully he agrees.  When I crossed from .5mg X to 10mg V, I found it sedating as well, but it was so much easier to taper for me.  It did also come with depression, but that lifted in about a month.  I can't wait to be fully crossed over to Valium!  It has been much kinder to me then Xanax and I am actually tapering it successfully!  I never even thought I would get this far and was so scared to taper again after a failed taper in the past.  I am encouraged and can't wait to get off the Xanax and slowly taper with Valium. 

Thank you again for your time and post- I really appreciate you!

Hi Cooper you are very welcome. It’s good that you already have the experience of that same transition. So with that in mind you may be able to start with less Valium. Looking back at my crossover I went a little less on my middle dose but in hind sight I cud have gone lower as I remember being over sedated. There are many conversion tables out there with Ashton being the most conservative. But you have to be comfortable.  Wishing you the best of luck with your pdoc and your conversion.

Joeb

Joeb,

Thank you!  I will post after my visit with my Pdoc and give an update.  He is 2.5 hours each way, but so worth it to get my life back! 

Thank you and Happy 4th!