Switching morning dose of Xanax XR to Valium

[co...]

I have lots of time before this happens, but posting this to get others opinions or experiences. 

I am currently taking Xanax XR 1mg in the morning.  After my evening taper of Valium is completed, I need to taper the morning dose of Xanax XR. I saw my Psychiatrist yesterday and he gave me 2 options. 

1.  Xanax XR .5mg morning, 10 mg Valium evening- (taper the same way- then I would be left with the .5mg Xanax XR to taper from)

2. Switch over to 20mg Valium and taper from there.  I would love to do this, but not sure if my body could handle this all at once after 17 years.  It's hard to do Ashton with Xanax XR as it doesn't go lower then .5mg and you can't break it or cut it as it Extended Release. 

Any thoughts or opinions are welcome- I have lots of time to research and think of the best plan.  I am starting on liquid Valium for the remainder of the Valium taper as my symptoms hit me hard last week.

Hello Cooper5,

If it were me, I’d choose option 2. Valium has a very long half-life and you will be able to better adjust your taper to your symptoms/tolerance. I’ve been on diazepam 5-10mg at bedtime as needed for 17 years. I’m currently on week 11 of my taper with little symptoms. I updosed once, but continuing a very gradual cut & hold method. My current dose is 3.75mg four nights a week and 2.5mg three times a week. Best wishes!

I can't tell from your signature but it looks like you may have switched from ValiumXR to Valium earlier in the year for your evening dose?  If so, how did that go for you?

Kate08, I switched from Xanax XR .5mg to Valium 10mg.  Just a direct switch and it went great!  It was actually much better then taking the Xanax XR. 

However, I was still taking the 1mg Xanax XR in the morning, so I still had lots of Xanax in my body. 

So now I am taking 1mg Xanax XR in the morning and 3mg Valium in the evening.  I am currently tapering the 3mg Valium in the evening to 0.  I will be using liquid Valium (manufacturer 5m/5ml solution) to taper 10% every month, starting on June 26th. 

Then I have to taper from the evil Xanax XR 1mg.  Do you think it would be doable to make a direct switch from the Xanax XR 1mg to 20mg of Valium and taper from there?  I mean, I would love to do that!  but don't know if it would send my brain into crazy W/D.  I actually prefer Valium and would rather taper from it, but want to be successful and not mess things up, you know?

Thanks for your response!  I appreciate you 

You say the XR comes in 0.5mg. Could you do the crossover in two phases? Switch to 10mg V and then again to 10mg V, instead of a 20mg crossover? Could that be easier on your body? I know you won't have the compensating dose of Xanax like before but it might just be a bit more comfortable.

I hope I'm not missing something. My brain fog acts up so I'm not always the sharpest knife in the drawer.  :laugh:

Jelly Baby, no worries- my brain fog acts up a lot!!

You mean do the Xanax XR .5mg in the morning and 10mg Valium in the evening? 

I was thinking that would be easier on my body and then just taper the Valium the same way I am doing now.  Then I would just deal with the .5mg Xanax XR.  I would just cross that directly over to 10mg Valium and taper using the same method. 

I think that would be much easier on my body as it's been 17 years of Xanax XR as prescribed.  Thanks so much for helping me figure it out!  Sometimes, it just takes talking it through with someone.  My Pdoc is open to whatever method I would like to try that's best for me.

Great idea jelly baby, I like the idea of doing this is a couple of phases.  Your brain seems to be working just fine.  Cooper, I am so glad your doc is willing and flexible.  Let us know how you do.    :thumbsup:

Jelly Baby, no worries- my brain fog acts up a lot!!

You mean do the Xanax XR .5mg in the morning and 10mg Valium in the evening? 

I was thinking that would be easier on my body and then just taper the Valium the same way I am doing now.  Then I would just deal with the .5mg Xanax XR.  I would just cross that directly over to 10mg Valium and taper using the same method. 

I think that would be much easier on my body as it's been 17 years of Xanax XR as prescribed.  Thanks so much for helping me figure it out!  Sometimes, it just takes talking it through with someone.  My Pdoc is open to whatever method I would like to try that's best for me.

Awesome. I think this might be the best and the least risky way. Like you said sometimes it just needs a couple of people working together to get a solution.  :thumbsup:

Kate08 it always helps to have others around to double check suggestions. Thanks for the input.