Hello, I was on Lorazepam and Zolpiedm for 3 years and now undergoing tapering

[am...]

Hello everyone, I was on 2mg Lorazepam and 10mg Zolpiedm for 3 or more years. My psychiatrist didn't tell me about the harmful effects of them. I discovered on my own through net. My NEW psychiatrist put me on 1.25mg Clonazepam for 2 months and then he started tapering it using 50mg  Quetiapine. He didn't use another benzo during the tapering process. Yesterday night was the first night without any sleep aid. I slept lightly but was not fully awake. I don't know whether it was the right tapering method which my doctor used. Please give your opinion on my tapering method whether it was correct or not.

Hi admitdixit,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We’re glad you found us.

Unfortunately many members were never made aware by their prescriber as to the harmful effects of these medications, so you’ll find plenty of members here who share similar stories. You mention your NEW psychiatrist put you on 1.25mg of clonazepam for 2 months before beginning a taper. I’m assuming your psychiatrist crossed you to clonazepam because it’s easier to taper from a benzodiazepine with a longer half life than the lorazepam as it helps limit inter-dose withdrawals. Did your psychiatrist cross you over to clonazepam slowly or was it direct switch (overnight) from one benzo to the other?

Regardless, you would simply taper from the clonazepam now without having any other benzo introduced, and this is what your psychiatrist has done.

It is recommended you make reductions of 5-10% of your current daily dose every 10-14 days, or to follow a symptoms based taper, making your reductions only when your withdrawal symptoms have decreased to your individual baseline as some members find they need to go slower than the above recommendations.

You will have access to plenty of information and resources here, including a community of friendly, helpful members with whom to share experiences and provide feedback to any questions you may like to post on the community forum boards.

Please feel free to look around and familiarise yourself with the site.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask.

Again, welcome!

WS

Here are a few links to get you started (I highly recommend you read the Ashton Manual and the CCBDG)

The Ashton Manual

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Z-drugs (an explanation of Z-drugs/Sleeping pills)

Other Medications

Thanks WS. It was in mid june' 2022 my NEW psychiatrist suddenly stopped 2mg of Lorazepam and 10mg of Zolpiedm. He immediately start giving me 1.25mg of Clonazepam. He continued 1.25mg for nearly two months and he then told me to start tapering 1.25mg Clonazepam. We reduced Clonazepam by .25mg every 14 days. During the tapering I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms like insomnia since I was taking 50mg of Quetiapine for sleep. It was in mid September my tapering finished and he kept me on 50mg Quetiapine and zero Clonazepam for 14 days. Yesterday I visited him and he suddenly stopped 50mg of Quetiapine too. So now I am not taking any Clonazepam and no Quetiapine for sleep. Yesterday was the first day and I had a light sleep in the night and during the daytime today I felt like vomiting but nothing happened after that. It was gone within an hour. Tonight is going to be my second night without any sleep medication. I will write more as I move ahead on the road to sleep naturally. Thanks for your guidance.

Dear Benzo Buddies:

MY BRIEF INTRODUCTION:

I AM FROM INDIA. I LIVE IN CENTRAL INDIA. IN INDIA HEALTH SECTOR IS VERY CRIPPLED AND CORRUPT. THESE BENZOS AND Z-DRUGS ARE VERY NEW TO INDIA. THEY HAVE BEEN AROUND LAST 30 YEARS ONLY. BUT INDIA IS A BIG MARKET FOR THESE DRUGS. IN INDIA MENTAL HEALTH IS A STIGMA AND TABOO. I WOULD NOT BE WRONG TO SAY THAT I AM PERHAPS THE FIRST PERSON WHO IS TRYING FOR TAPERING AND QUITING THESE DRUGS. IN INDIA DOCTORS ARE TREATED LIKE GODS AND THEY INDULGE IN LOTS OF CORRUPT PRACTICES AND MAKE HUGE MONEY. I HAVE LEFT MY JOB AND I AM NOW TRYING TO TAPER OFF THESE HARMFUL DRUGS AND RECOVER NATURAL SLEEP. I REPEAT I THINK I AM THE FIRST PERSON IN THE ENTIRE CENTRAL INDIAN STATE WHO IS NOW WELL CONVERSANT WITH THESE DRUGS. IN INDIA PEOPLE DONT KNOW AND THEY HAVE NO MEANS AND EDUCATION TO UNDERSTAND WHAT ARE THESE DRUGS AND THEY DO TO YOU. SOME OF THEM ARE TOTALLY DEPENDENT ON THESE DRUGS AND SPEND HUGE MONEY AS MEDICAL EXPENSES. YOU MUST NOT FORGET THAT INDIA IS A POOR COUNTRY.

My tapering journey:

Today is my 3rd day of Quetiapine tapering. I have taken 25mg of Quetiapine for sleep. My psychiatrist tapered 1.25mg of Clonazepam using Quetiapine. He gave me 50 mg of Quetiapine through the taper and I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms throughout the Clonazepam tapering. My psychiatrist stopped 50 mg Quetiapine cold turkey on 03/10/2022. But yesterday I asked him to taper it. He gave a pretty fast tapering for Quetiapine. I will be taking 25mg Quetiapine for 7days and then 12.5mg for another 7 days and then stopped. I don't know whether this is a good method or not, but seems okay to me. It is 11:15pm in India now and I took 25mg of Quetiapine at 10:30pm. I don't know how the night is going to be but one thing is sure I AM NOT GOING BACK. THERE IS NO WAY I AM GOING TO GIVE UP. My 1st psychiatrist made me life miserable without even me asking for it. I was admitted because of a relapse of Schizophrenia and during the relapse he gave me some medication for sleep also and I continued his medication without going into detail and it was after 4 years I realized what damage my psychiatrist has done to me. I immediately left him when I found a new psychiatrist who was ready to taper benzos and Zolpiedm which I was on for last 3 years. Please note I am from India. In India these medicines have been introduced to the general population for last 20-25 years only. And mental disease is still a stigma and taboo in India. People look down upon people with mental disease. But I have made up my mind I will get off these medicines one day and will write my success story one day on this platform. Thanks Amit Dixit

Hi amitdixit,

Just letting you know I’ve seen your posts and I will reply in full tonight Australian time.

I’m so sorry for the stigma surrounding psychiatric illness in your country, it’s terribly inhumane, and completely unacceptable.

You’re doing so well!

WS.

Dear WS:

You wanted to write something to me. Please do write to me. It will be a great guidance and support from you. I don't know anybody in particular here. Thanks AD

Hi AD,

I’ve read over this thread a few times just to make sure I’m not missing anything, and I have to say, the fact that you crossed over from the lorazepam and zolpidem to the clonazepam stabilised over two months and then had a symptom free taper is very encouraging, and it seems the only thing now is to see how you go tapering off the quetiapine. It does seem like quite a quick taper, but I’m not too familiar with the suggested taper rate for quetiapine, so you could post that question on the Other Medications Board and I’m sure someone with personal experience will reply and let you know if your taper looks too fast. Other than that, all the signs look very encouraging for a quick recovery, although I would still caution that it is still only 3 weeks since your taper finished and there can be a lag in the onset of acute symptoms, although, from my own experience with clonazepam, I probably would’ve expected the onset of acute symptoms by now. Please keep us informed of how you’re  progressing with you quetiapine taper.

We’re here to support you!

WS

Hello WS:

I think I have faced withdrawal symptoms during the course of tapering. Some of them are:

Diarrhea

Hypersensitivity of sensory organs

Blurred vision

Mild depression

I will keep you updated

Thanks AD

Hello WS:

One withdrawal symptoms I am facing as of now is weight loss. When I was put on Clonazepam I gained weight. For last one month I am facing weight loss. My psychiatrist even asked me to do exercise to reduce the weight. Moreover, my Quetiapine tapering is going smoothly. From 50mg to 12.5mg  I have not faced anything BIG withdrawal symptoms. I have met few other people who has followed almost the same journey as mine and are now completely off medication. Thanks again. Will be in touch with you.

AD

Hi AD,

Do you think you’re losing weight because of nausea, loss of appetite…not eating enough? ,

Nausea and loss of appetite are common withdrawal symptoms for some, although it can also cause increased appetite in others.

WS

Hello WS:

I am not facing nausea and loss of appetite. As per Ashton  Manual, weight change is very common physical withdrawal  symptoms. I am eating well. During my last visit to my psychiatrist I lost 1kg and this time also I am expecting some weight loss. My parents when they saw me yesterday  said it seems I have lost weight. I am eating well, sleeping well and not facing any psychological withdrawal symptoms so far.

Thanks

AD

Hi AD,

It’s good to hear things are going relatively smoothly for you.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned about your loss of weight, it’ll probably fluctuate. I tend to lose up to 4kg after each reduction in dose, and then once I stabilise I have to try and add it back on before my next reduction. It sounds like you’re going to recover well.  :thumbsup:

WS

• 4 weeks later...

Hello WS:

I want to share one good news with you. I am sleeping naturally  for last 5 days. It has been 5 days now I am Quetiapine  free and 1.5 months now I am Benzo free. I am very thankful to you for your advice and motivation. I will  write my success story on BB soon.

Thanks

AD

Hello WS:

I think I have faced withdrawal symptoms during the course of tapering. Some of them are:

Diarrhea

Hypersensitivity of sensory organs

Blurred vision

Mild depression

I will keep you updated

Thanks AD

:thumbsup: All symptoms sound very normal, AD.

Stay in touch, take care!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello WS:

I think I am facing one withdrawal symptom. I am having dyspepsia for last 20 days or so. I am taking treatment for it but my family physician says it is not a withdrawal symptom. It is my body's reaction against deep fried food and smoking. I am facing stomach pain, constipation, gastritis, bloating sensation. I have quit smoking from today. Are you aware of any such symptoms. Please share your opinion.

Thanks

AD

Yes AD,

Digestive symptoms are absolutely normal withdrawal symptoms, but I encourage you to continue to avoid smoking, as it will cause more inflammation in the digestive tract. Your digestive issues will resolve as you continue to recover  :thumbsup:

Thanks WS

You are correct. I am seeing some improvements in them too. Thanks for your support and advice.

God bless you my dear friend

Thanks

AD

• 2 weeks later...

Hello WS:

It has been 2.5 months I am Clonazepam free and 1 month I am Quetiapine free. But I couldn't sleep yesterday night. I don't know the reason but I thought of seeking your opinion about this particular event. Can you throw some light on this.

I will wait for your opinion. Please do reply.

Thanks

AD

Hi AD

It’s not unusual to be experiencing insomnia where you are in your particular period of recovery. You’re brain is repairing and learning to adjust to sleeping without medications. Eventually your sleep will return to normal.