How to Micro Taper Klonopin

[Ge...]

I found a compounding pharmacy that is familiar with benzo withdrawal. They recommend using capsules, which they can make for me per a doctor's prescription. I have an appointment with a new doctor on Thursday. I'm hoping he can help me with prescribing as he has others. I am currently on 1.13 mg K, which I've been on since April. I went through a nice lengthy window which unfortunately was followed by a significant wave even while holding the dose level. I'm uncertain how micro tapering works... Do I lower it very gradually every day or is should I stay steady and then lower it very slowly over a period of time and then steady the dose again for a while? If I lower my dose by cutting back 1/8 mg, I can't handle it very close together. If it's a few weeks apart it hurls me into a myriad of symptoms so now it's been five months since I've lowered the dose. Thanks in advance.

Hi Gettingwell2022

I'm not very familiar with the capsules. I think they make you capsules in various sizes that you can mix and match in order to reduce your dose. There really is no right or wrong way to micro taper. You just have to find the way that works for you. Ideally you'll still reduce on percentages while monitoring your symptoms. So you calculate your reductions based on percentages but how often you reduce is up to you. You can reduce every day for two weeks, hold for one or two weeks. You can reduce every day for a month and hold for two weeks or a month. You can reduce every 2nd or 3rd day and hold for a week. In my case when I was recovering from severe long Covid I was tapering at 7.5%/14 days but I was tapering for 7 days holding three. The possibilities are endless.

You might want to start by reading Titration:FAQs

Happy to answer more questions.

In case you haven’t already discovered it, here’s a Success Story from a member who used compounded capsules to taper clonazepam:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=230602.msg2960260#msg2960260

We also discussed her approach in a series of posts on this thread:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=163449.msg2922782#msg2922782