recommendations for a solvent

[MP...]

Hello,

I am beginning a water micro taper off of .5 k. What are the current recommendations for MLs and which solvent is best to use to dissolve with water?

Thank you for the help.

What kind of time frame would you like to see your taper completed in, this should be a part of the decision as to how many milliliters to use.  As for a solvent, we can't guarantee Klonopin will dissolve even using a solvent so whatever you decide to use, whole fat, homogenized milk, Vodka/water, Propylene glycol/water, or plain water, its best to treat it as a suspension and agitate it well before consuming.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the reply. If i'm using 120mls and just using the water i have a quick question. After I put the full dose in the bottle and remove the discard and then split into 3 doses can i top off each dose with more water? Or will that dilute the strength of the medication?

As long as you consume all of the liquid, I don't think it matters, many members will add more water to the container to make sure they get the particles adhered to the sides of the container.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi MpaulM,

Just a side note that my husband and I found out the hard way (with our pharmacist's help). So we are getting his k compounded  using Propylene glycol/water. We do add water to ensure that he gets the whole dose. One thing to keep in mind is that water degrades k. In theory it's within 14 days but it can be as little as 3. :/ So.. the lesson was to be careful when adding water.

Disclaimer, my husband is extremely sensitive to the smallest changes.. Others may never have noticed. Extreme lessons from an extreme case..

Hi MpaulM,

Just a side note that my husband and I found out the hard way (with our pharmacist's help). So we are getting his k compounded  using Propylene glycol/water. We do add water to ensure that he gets the whole dose. One thing to keep in mind is that water degrades k. In theory it's within 14 days but it can be as little as 3. :/ So.. the lesson was to be careful when adding water.

Disclaimer, my husband is extremely sensitive to the smallest changes.. Others may never have noticed. Extreme lessons from an extreme case..

Hi freelberlin,

Do you have a citation or a source for your statement about water degrading Klonopin?  We've had members make statements that a home brew will last 2 weeks in refrigeration but we've never seen any data to back this up.  We understand that manipulating any drug can increase risk and have this disclaimer in our Titration FAQ's but if you have source material for your statement we'd love to see it.

However, if you are using a "home brew' liquid made with regular tablets, it is unknown if you are getting an accurate dose. Why? To our knowledge, none of the home brew liquids have been tested for homogeneity (we do not know if they are true solutions), potency, or stability over time. We also do not know the pharmacokinetic properties of home brew liquids (i.e. absorption, distribution, metabolism, elimination).

• 3 months later...

Hey Pamster,

I do not have the citation. The compouding pharmacist did the research for me, when we were discussing ratios. The degrading effect is something that my husband has been able to observe through experience and due to sensitivity as he tapers, which triggered the question and thus research. I am only discussing the specific compound that we have used; I do not have experience with homebrews at all. The degradation is the reason that I pick up the prescription weekly rather than biweekly.