liquid taper assistance

[to...]

Hi, been tapering for 2 years via dry cutting.  Long haul covid slowed down my taper considerably and I've just been doing .01 mg decrease every month or so.  I'm currently at .05 mg 3x daily when I weigh it on my .001 mg scale. When it's this small, I can tell I'm not geting accurate dosing so think I need to try liquid compounded. 

I am very sensitive to meds in general and I've had issues when they have switched my manufacturer for lorazepam. My PCP just said if I could find compounding pharmacy he would send script but I have no idea how to convert my .05mg pills to liquid version suspension.  Any help is appreciated. 

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question. I'm sure someone who's knowledgeable will stop by your thread. I just wanted to say I also have Long Covid and it's slowed down my taper tremendously. I hope you're managing. It's really a struggle with Long Covid and tapering.  :smitten:

I'm not clear on your question, if you're going to use a compounding pharmacy, it seems like they should be able to do the calculations for you.  Or are you considering making your own instead?

I've heard of members using a filler when they get down to very low measurements for greater accuracy.

sounds like I want to target .1mg/ml.  So if I weight out .05mg for my shaved pills, does that just mean I would take .5 ml of liquid to start my taper?

Just checking ….

Are you certain you have been using a scale that is accurate to 0.001mg (milligrams)?  Many of our members use scales that are accurate to 0.001g (grams).  I ask because it will be important for you to make sure you are taking the dose you think you are taking before you speak with the compounding pharmacist.

As Pamster has indicated, the compounding pharmacist can help you determine what concentration of liquid to use and how much of it to take.

In hope it might help, here’s a link with suggestions on how to find a compounding pharmacy:

https://www.wikihow.health/Find-a-Compounding-Pharmacy

I talked to pharmacist.  They say they use their own powder and sometimes use oil based or water based depending on strength. 

The one pharmacy mentioned theydon't use propylene glycol.  I'm very nervous about using alcohol based solution as I've had bad reaction to ethanol in the past. I really don't think it's possible to taper though as I'm getting doses all over the place with my 0.001 g scale.  You were correct about that, it was a error on my part.

Here’s hoping your compounding pharmacist can find a formulation that will meet your requirements!

Thank you for letting me know that your scale is 0.001g not 0.001mg.  I just want to make sure you are taking the dose you think you are taking, especially if you switch to liquid.

Re: using scales …

Have you considered adding a filler such as microcrystalline cellulose to pill powder to increase weight and hence accuracy? Here’s an example of how Bob7 used this approach with clonazepam:

Benzo Dry Taper Math

https://benzodrytapermath.com/

Re: suspensions …  a properly formulated and prepared suspension should be fine as long as you shake it vigorously before you use it and measure your dose as quickly as possible.