*UPDATE* Tooth extraction with VERSED anesthesia

[jo...]

Does anyone know about using Versed for anesthesia during tooth extraction?

I'm having my tooth extracted tomorrow. I’ve fractured my tooth and root canal due to clenching so hard in pain due to my burning from Xanax withdrawal. I’ve been having tooth pain and thought it was TMJ. Alas, no, it's a fracture that infection has set in and the tooth cannot be saved.

I’ve been off the Xanax for 9.8 months. Most symptoms are gone.

I still have the burning nerve pain and of course anxiety from the pain.

I’m so scared this tooth extraction and worried that the procedure and use of Versed is going to set me back. I’m already struggling so greatly.

I’ve had versed in the past a long long time ago for a endoscopy and did fine, but that was pre-benzo.

Will the 1 time versed set me back?

Also, they put me on amoxicillin earlier this week because there is infection that has to be cleared up. I seem to be doing ok with the AB.

I just don’t want my burning to get worse with all this. I've got to keep my mindset positive or I will go down that slope of panic which my body doesn't need.

Ashton manual says there should be no issue with using anesthesia/benzo for surgeries and such, but or course we know everyone has a different reaction.

This whole journey has been just one thing after the other. So much money that I’ve paid doctors too. 

I pray I will be okay.

Please let me know.

Hi there. Versed is a benzo so I would highly not recommend you to take it. I had a root canal procedure done during my acute, I refused all antibiotics, and had carbocain without adrenaline/epinephrine. I would try to reduce any drugs I can as our CNS is like glass during recovery. You might have been fine with versed in the past but your CNS was not hypersensitive before.

Hi there. Versed is a benzo so I would highly not recommend you to take it. I had a root canal procedure done during my acute, I refused all antibiotics, and had carbocain without adrenaline/epinephrine. I would try to reduce any drugs I can as our CNS is like glass during recovery. You might have been fine with versed in the past but your CNS was not hypersensitive before.

Hi there thank you. Yes. I’ve had the amoxicillin a few months ago and did okay with it but am nervous about the versed. I see other posters that said they did fine with it but it still makes ne scared.

Although I’m in month ten off the Benzo, my body is still hypersensitive.

The only other option would be to use carbocaine and be awake for the tooth extraction, so I’m not sure I want to do that as I’m sure it’s dramatic.

It’s so hard to do, but I have to have it done, but now I’m even more nervous as you’ve reminded me of the possibility of setback. This is such an awful position to be in.

Thanks for reaching out.

Hi there thank you. Yes. I’ve had the amoxicillin a few months ago and did okay with it but am nervous about the versed. I see other posters that said they did fine with it but it still makes ne scared.

The only other option would be to use carbocaine and be awake for the tooth extraction, so I’m not sure I want to do that as I’m sure it’s dramatic.

It’s so hard to do, but I have to have it done, but now I’m even more nervous as you’ve reminded me of the possibility of setback. This is such an awful position to be in.

Thanks for reaching out.

I was awake the whole while during the procedure and it wasn't too bad, I even watched the whole procedure on the screen. But of course, everyone's threshold is different. Taking antibiotics in recovery is like Russian roulette so weigh your options carefully. I took no anti biotics and the wound healed up fine. I'm in the middle of a setback myself (10 months like you) after being healed for years so I know your fear.

Whatever it is that you choose, I wish you the best for the procedure.

Hi jordanjack,

Your question about taking a benzo for a procedure comes up a lot on the forum.  I understand your concern but as you point out, a lot of members have found taking it one time doesn't cause significant problems for them during a taper. 

As far as antibiotics, the type associated with problems during withdrawal is fluoroquinolone antibiotics. (Amoxicillin isn't a fluoroquinolone.)

I hope you come to a decision you feel comfortable with. 

Brighterday

I had major surgery a couple months ago and they wanted to give me 2mg of versed and I told them they could give me 0.5mg or 0 lol It didn’t do anything to me but I am still tapering.

Thanks for reaching out.

I was awake the whole while during the procedure and it wasn't too bad, I even watched the whole procedure on the screen. But of course, everyone's threshold is different. Taking antibiotics in recovery is like Russian roulette so weigh your options carefully. I took no anti biotics and the wound healed up fine. I'm in the middle of a setback myself (10 months like you) after being healed for years so I know your fear.

Whatever it is that you choose, I wish you the best for the procedure.

Thank you so much. I'm so sorry that you are in a setback.  I seem to be doing okay on the antibiotic, but of course I'm so very nervous about the procedure that I'm having done tomorrow.

You are so brave to watch the procedure. Wow!  I couldn't handle that at all. LOL.

Take good care and I wishing you the very best and healing.

Hi jordanjack,

Your question about taking a benzo for a procedure comes up a lot on the forum.  I understand your concern but as you point out, a lot of members have found taking it one time doesn't cause significant problems for them during a taper. 

As far as antibiotics, the type associated with problems during withdrawal is fluoroquinolone antibiotics. (Amoxicillin isn't a fluoroquinolone.)

I hope you come to a decision you feel comfortable with. 

Brighterday

Hi Brighterday,

Thank you so much for reaching out. I'm doing okay on the antibiotic so far.  I go tomorrow for the extraction and am really nervous about it.

I don't mind the dentist, but a tooth extraction is so painful and I pray the versed does okay on my body. 

Thank you again for your encouragement.

I had Versed for 2 cataract procedures during my taper. No problems. But you have to do what you think will be best.

Hope this helps.

:smitten:

Katz

Hi Katz,

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help.  It's good to know that you did okay with the versed.

I go tomorrow for the tooth extraction and I pray all goes well; I'm so nervous about it because I don't want a set back.

My journey has been so very difficult and I'm still struggling so greatly with the burning skin, trembling shakes and anxiety.  This chemical anxiety is so hard, but the burning is my worst symptom.  I've had it for 10 months. So brutal.

Thank you again for helping me.

I hope you are well.  :smitten:

I, personally don't think so.

I am rubbish at remembering if I missed or took an extra dose.

Thanks so much Journey.

I'm ten months off the xanax, but still struggling with the burning skin, so I'm nervous about the versed and the tooth extraction tomorrow.

I pray it goes okay. Thank you for reaching out.

I had major surgery a couple months ago and they wanted to give me 2mg of versed and I told them they could give me 0.5mg or 0 lol It didn’t do anything to me but I am still tapering.

Hi ThisBur,

Thank you so much. I pray I do okay tomorrow as well.

I'm so nervous about the versed and tooth extraction.

I just don't want a setback because I'm still having such awful withdrawal symptoms with the burning skin, shaking and anxiety.

I'm glad to know you did okay with your surgery. Here's wishing you the best with your taper.

Let us know how it goes jordan.  Good luck!!

Thanks so much JBen.

My tooth is causing quite a bit of pain tonight, so I’m ready to get it taken care of.

I hope you are doing much better as well since your dental work.

Take good care.

*UPDATE*: Day 3 after the tooth extraction.

The procedure went well, but I am in a lot of pain within my jaw, tooth area and stitches.

My Benzo WD symptoms of burning nerve pain in my head, arms, shoulders and legs feels like I’m back in Acute. The burning was still there before the tooth extraction but feels even more intense.

It’s awful torment and no escape of the burning pain. Last night it felt like someone had dipped my head in a hot grease skillet and then spread the hot grease on my body. I mean really, how is this even possible? What the heck is going on with the CNS? This is so cruel!

I’m in month 10 and suffering so bad. So discouraged.  And to think, the whole reason for this extraction is because I fractured my dang tooth from clenching my teeth so hard at night from withdrawals pain since jumping. These Benzos have hurt us so badly physically, mentally and financially. So tired of this consuming my life.

Btw: The oral surgeon gave me RX for 50mgs of tramadol to take for pain. I’m too afraid to take it.

So I’m just taking Tylenol and ibuprofen.

Hoping to climb out of this soon. He said day 3 and 4 are typically the worse.  Feels like someone hit me in my jaw with a baseball bat, along with the hot soup feeling of burning nerve pain on my body. Oh, how I need to heal. 🙏

*UPDATE*: Day 3 after the tooth extraction.

The procedure went well, but I am in a lot of pain within my jaw, tooth area and stitches.

My Benzo WD symptoms of burning nerve pain in my head, arms, shoulders and legs feels like I’m back in Acute. The burning was still there before the tooth extraction but feels even more intense.

It’s awful torment and no escape of the burning pain. Last night it felt like someone had dipped my head in a hot grease skillet and then spread the hot grease on my body. I mean really, how is this even possible? What the heck is going on with the CNS? This is so cruel!

I’m in month 10 and suffering so bad. So discouraged.  And to think, the whole reason for this extraction is because I fractured my dang tooth from clenching my teeth so hard at night from withdrawals pain since jumping. These Benzos have hurt us so badly physically, mentally and financially. So tired of this pain consuming my life.

Btw: The oral surgeon gave me RX for 50mgs of tramadol to take for pain. I’m too afraid to take it.

So I’m just taking Tylenol and ibuprofen.

Hoping to climb out of this soon. He said day 3 and 4 are typically the worse.  Feels like someone hit me in my jaw with a baseball bat, along with the hot soup feeling of burning nerve pain on my body. Oh, how I need to heal. 🙏

jordan, I can understand your not wanting to take the Tramadol, but I thought I'd just tell you that I had back surgery on my taper and was prescribed Tramadol for 5 days. I took it without any problems and I am VERY sensitive to meds. Just an fyi.

Hope you feel better soon,

Katz

Hey Jordan.  Glad to see you now have this behind you.  Hopefully the revved symptoms will resolve in a week or so.  It is only upwards from here.  You will recover!

Oh and for the pain fire and ice always work for me.  If my muscles are stiff I use heat.  If I am in any kind of sharp pain I use ice.  I try, as much as possible, to stay away from drugs too.  For some people it works fine but for me it doesn’t.

Jordan,

I'm so sorry you had to go through this.  Glad to hear it's all behind you and you're on the mend.  So hoping these intense symptoms are going to settle down for you ASAP. This whole process is just so cruel.

Sending you warm love and healing hugs,

LiveLife

jordan, I can understand your not wanting to take the Tramadol, but I thought I'd just tell you that I had back surgery on my taper and was prescribed Tramadol for 5 days. I took it without any problems and I am VERY sensitive to meds. Just an fyi.

Hope you feel better soon,

Katz

Thank you so much Katz. I’m so worried about my hypersensitivity and revved up symptoms, but if the pain gets worse, I may go ahead and try 1/2 pill. Did you have the burning too?

Thank you for all your faithful support and encouragement as always.  :smitten:

Hey Jordan.  Glad to see you now have this behind you.  Hopefully the revved symptoms will resolve in a week or so.  It is only upwards from here.  You will recover!

Oh and for the pain fire and ice always work for me.  If my muscles are stiff I use heat.  If I am in any kind of sharp pain I use ice.  I try, as much as possible, to stay away from drugs too.  For some people it works fine but for me it doesn’t.

Hi Jben, thank you so much. I know you understand about the setbacks; so I’m praying I bounce back soon. I was still having the burning, but it’s really ramped up now. Not sure if it’s from the meds, or the stress of the whole thing, or the invasive tooth extraction with bone graft; probably all of it.

I don’t feel anxious other than anxiety from the burning.

Did you find that burning increased for you too?

I was hoping I was gonna turn a corner soon, and now this setback has me a little discouraged.

So I appreciate everyone’s encouragement through our setbacks. 

Yes, I use the nylon ice packs at night, I put them all around me.

Thanks for your tips too!  :smitten:

Jordan,

I'm so sorry you had to go through this.  Glad to hear it's all behind you and you're on the mend.  So hoping these intense symptoms are going to settle down for you ASAP. This whole process is just so cruel.

Sending you warm love and healing hugs,

LiveLife

Hi LiveLive,

Yes, I was so shocked that this happened so quickly. My tooth/gum had been bothering me a few days so I went to the dentist and then the periodontist. It happened so fast.  I was so nervous about it, most especially the concern about being so hypersensitive and revved up symptoms as a result.

The burning on my head and lower legs is the worst.  It’s almost more uncomfortable than the jaw pain at this point.

It truly is cruel like you said. I’ve dealt with this burning for so long!!!

I pray it all settles soon as well.

Thank you for your faithful and kind encouragement.

I hope you are doing better my friend.

Here’s healing hugs back to you as well!  🙏🤗

Hi Jben, thank you so much. I know you understand about the setbacks; so I’m praying I bounce back soon. I was still having the burning, but it’s really ramped up now. Not sure if it’s from the meds, or the stress of the whole thing, or the invasive tooth extraction with bone graft; probably all of it.

I was hoping I was gonna turn a corner soon, and now this setback has me a little discouraged.

I wish I only had burning skin - but to answer your question yes it increased.  It is sometimes like burning lava all over my body at the nerve endings and other times it is like having a really bad sunburn with all the stinging and heat.  My other, bigger problem is the extreme anxiety, tight chest, muscle squeezing and shortness of breath.  It is truly horrible.  I dont want to make it worse but I am facing needing lidocaine at least two more times for the root canal and cap.  Ugh!

I wish I only had burning skin - but to answer your question yes it increased.  It is sometimes like burning lava all over my body at the nerve endings and other times it is like having a really bad sunburn with all the stinging and heat.  My other, bigger problem is the extreme anxiety, tight chest, muscle squeezing and shortness of breath.  It is truly horrible.  I dont want to make it worse but I am facing needing lidocaine at least two more times for the root canal and cap.  Ugh!

Oh JBen, I’m so sorry! Yes, I’ve been in a lot of pain in the tooth extraction area and have had very little sleep. The burning nerve pain has increased it seem, especially on my head, shoulders and lower legs.  I have crazy shaking too in my legs.

I am now dealing with a UTI, and am on an antibiotic especially for it. I think my immune system is compromised.

My body is so out of sorts. It seems I can’t catch a break.

This has set me back physically and mentally. I’m so scared and very discouraged.

I’ve been getting the stinging heat too.  I’m keeping my AC on 65 and still too warm.

I pray we turn a corner soon. I’ve been desteoth this burning for almost a year!

Im exhausted mentally and physically.  Im sending you big healing hugs!