Dentist visit. Ugh.

[...]

I had to go to the dentist two days ago to get a deep cleaning.  After two years of being afraid, I finally dragged myself there.  The dentist was worried about my gums and said that we must perform a deep cleaning!  They cleaned half my teeth and used very little topical anesthetic.  While I was worried about the topical, as most of them act mildly on gaba receptors, I thought I was in the clear until last night.  My god the symptoms have ramped up astronomically.  Severe anxiety!  Severe burning nerves!  Almost like acute.  I am about to jump out of my skin and pacing around the house like a madman.  I hope this doesn't last long.

I have to get the second half done next week.  I will be doing it WITHOUT any pain management.  I am NOT taking any chances to make this worse!

JBen,

I'm so sorry to hear this.  But I'm sure it's going to be short lived. That anesthetic is probably not that powerful maybe  a day or so,  and you'll be back to baseline.  It's good to get your teeth cleaned because dental hygiene can affect your whole system.  I think it's wise to not get any anesthetic for your 2nd cleaning. Hoping you're feeling better ASAP!! Sending you big hugs,

LiveLife

Thanks Live.  My biggest fear is not recovering enough to be able to take anesthetics, steriods, antibiotics, etc in the future.  My CNS seems so broken after my setback last year.  I am so sensitive to everything!!

JBen,

I completely understand why you would be worried. But from everything I've read once you recovered you will not be med sensitive any longer. I believe that that is true. Just hang in there you're gonna get past this. Hugs!

LiveLife

JBen021-

So glad you're feeling better.  In my experience, stressors of all kinds including dental work (and the anticipatory stress leading up to the appointment) can lead to a wave of WD symptoms.  But as it did for you, the wave recedes.  It was a really rough and scary 4 days but your system found its way back to baseline, and that sounds like your system doing the job of healing.

Take care,

Brighterday

It is 4am.  I was awakened by severe anxiety, squeezing muscles, constricted chest and an inability to stay still.  I am also exhausted because of insomnia.  This is not my normal baseline.  I feel setback again.  I just cant believe some topical anesthetic would do this.  I just want to jump out of my skin.  I cant catch my breath.  This is bad.

JBen,

I am so sorry to hear this. Hopefully it settles down for you soon. It is pretty difficult to imagine that an anesthetic could do that, but it does.  I'm sure it's close to passing soon seeing as though you felt like you were back to baseline. Hugs!

LiveLife

Thank you spazzie and live.  I think it may be settling but not sure as it has been following a wave/window pattern.  My front tooth is in pain now, tho moderate.  Gosh I hope I dont need more dental work right now.  I dont think I can take any more drugs in my system right now!

There is no need for anesthetics for regular dental cleaning.  If you have heavy calculus then it may require a little anesthetics.  Otherwise, no need for anesthetics for a regular dental cleaning.

There is no need for anesthetics for regular dental cleaning.  If you have heavy calculus then it may require a little anesthetics.  Otherwise, no need for anesthetics for a regular dental cleaning.

Honestly I go in for perio maintenance every 3 months and I have a pretty high pain tolerance but sometimes it really hurts when she's digging in the pockets. I wouldn't think most people could sit there and grin and bear it like I do...

I do seem to remember having a mild rebound anxiety reaction from the topical when I have had fillings done but it didn't last long, was usually feeling better the next day. Sorry that it's not the same for you, OP.

• 1 month later...

I had part 2 done last thursday.  It has been 4 days and no setback.  Good news!!  What did we do differently:  carbocaine!

A small history of my use of the *caines.:

- In july of this year, used lidocaine injection without epi and had a huge severe wave/setback for a week

- In september used lidocaine topical with epi thinking it would not be as bad as an injection. Wrong! and it set me back severely for a month of intense torture.

- This time the doctor said lets try a carbocaine injection instead.  It worked.  I had a really mild wave of symtpoms over the weekend but no setback.

I am still only recovered about 20% from the steriod setback a year ago so my symptoms are still bad.  At least we found an anesthetic that works without making it worse!  I am almost done with the dentist for a while.

Hi JBen.  Happy to hear you came through your latest dental procedure with little reaction.  I have been in a pretty nasty wave now which I think may be as a result of lidocaine injected into my lady parts for an exploratory procedure.  I think I had a pretty bad reaction to lidocaine two years ago, but can’t really remember.  All I know is that my wave is a pretty bad one and I am feeling pretty down.  Actually the doctor sprayed the lidocaine into my bladder area so as to numb it for the procedure.  Do you think that could have pushed me back into a wave?

I hope you are continuing to feel better and will enjoy Thanksgiving this year!

Hugs,

Gg

Hey GG.  We are all so different.  I am having bad reactions because my CNS is so messed up from that steroid setback.  Before the setback I was able to tolerate everything:  all food, caffiene, lidocaine, antibiotics, EVERYTHING!  After the setback I cant tolerate food without going into a massive wave, much less drugs of any kind.  I cant even tolerate tylenol!!

So it could be that or it could be just a nasty wave.  I know it was the lidocaine because of the patterns.  The setback always occurs 36 hours after the injection.  Do you know how many hours it was after your injection/spray that you started to feel bad?

Hey JBen, I just typed a long response which went poof when I timed out!  In brief, I actually had a good week after the lidocaine!  So, possibly the combination of an MRI of my neck two weeks ago in a loudly banging, vibrating machine and the use of a hand held neck massager may have tripped up my nerves and put me into this nasty wave of about ten days.  I have since learned that deep tissue massage can cause headaches, gi issues, and flu like symptoms.  Plus, I also discovered that anyone who has had a blood clot and is on a blood thinner should not have a deep tissue massage; I had two blood clots in 2015 and have been on a blood thinner since then!

What to do to get us out of this hell?  I remember vividly that March, April, May, and up until mid-June I had really great windoes and went about my life thinking I had made it out of benzo hell.  Then I got the UTI in mid-June which I ended up having to take five different antibiotics for, had a botched surgery at which time I got a steroid drug in an IV bag, then had a nasty fall down some steps in September, the flu shot, a three day hospitalization, and then this latest female surgery adds which sure adds up to a CNS in tatters!

We are healing aren’t we…isn’t it the old bwd saying that the more you suffer the more healing is happening?  So, we must be doing a lot healing!

Hugs,

GG

JBen021, You mentioned that you had a front tooth that was painful, that just might be withdrawal, I've had teeth hurt when going through a wave or a setback and my dentist could find nothing wrong with them.

Hi Spazzie.  Are you feeling better today? You have had a rough road to travel lately so I hope you are beginning to see a turning of the tide!

Hugs,

Gg

Hey Spazzie.  Thanks.  He did find something wrong with the tooth tho.  I get what you are saying tho.  I have had a bunch of phantom nerve pain in my teeth and foot.  I am sure those are part of withdrawal.  The tooth pain though was unbearable and needed repair.  It is much better after the procedure and next week I get the final crown.

Hi GG, have to post this again because as I was typing they signed me out.  I am not doing very well, had a night from hell with diarrhea, nausea, insomnia, fear, intrusive thoughts, tingling in hand and feet and chest pain, I can't even take Tylenol anymore and my anti-nausea medicine, Zofran sets off symptoms.  I switched to Advil which worked this time and probably will until my CNS figures it out.  I am so sorry you are having such a rough time, hopefully it won't last and you will be feeling better soon. Hugs and love, Becky & Emmie says hello and sends purrs to you and Sierra, she is presently asleep in the sun in her bed without a care in the world, lucky Emmie

Going to the dentist is a have to. It's not like there's much choice--especially when it comes to a toothache.

It's unbearable to go around feeling pain all the time.

I've been to the dentist 2 times, and was fine. Probably go again soon enough.

Good luck to you.