Will I not heal fully because I work out?

[gs...]

I've read some posts about how you need a lot of rest in benzo withdrawal in order to heal. I've also read about how exercise and working out are good for you.

I don't know how to feel right now. I was getting air hunger every night and I figured it's because I'm going to the gym and working out is triggering this symptom. I decided to have a rest day yesterday and skip the gym but here I am with air hunger again even though I didn't work out.

I think out of anyone I've spoken to I've had the most opportunity to rest and relax a lot in withdrawal the first couple years. I didn't work and basically slept when I wanted as much as I wanted with no stress. I find it hard to believe that I would STILL need to get that much rest and live so stress free just to heal.

That was a few years ago. I'm now 30 months off benzos and I did a slow taper as well. Air hunger is still my worst symptom. I'm really enjoying the gym but I just want to make sure it's not preventing me from healing further. I used to get bad air hunger before I ever worked out so I'm not even sure there's a connection but I would like some input.

So this is one of those individuals things, however on paper the idea is that yes you would want to take advantage of you're bodies ability to recover, just like your muscles after working you're body best recovers when in a status of rest. Not only does working out creating a stimulation which maybe you're in a stage where the body's nervous system can't handle any stimulation right now, but working our also raises Glutamate which we all know effects GABA, it also releases higher volumes of Dopamine which again the body is in a very sensitive state, releasing chemical interactions right now may not be in your best interest. It also stimulates the limbic system and Nervous system both CNS and PNS. This can't be good for recovery, you have a iatrogenic injury this isn't something you can power through by exercising its counterintuitive to what your body needs. But that's just my opinion.

If you feel better with exercise in your life right now then hey all the power to you.

As for the air Hunger I don't think there is any rhyme of reason as to why it's plaquing you, I've spoken to many folks here and it seems like if you're in a stage where air Hunger effects you, well it's going to effect you regardless of what you're doing or not doing. I don't see why air Hunger would be effected by exercise. Don't worry about the air Hunger... It's true what they say it really goes away I know I thought I was stuck with it forever

I’ve had episodes of palpitations during workouts as well as super increased heart rate, around 160 during light aerobics where I think it should be around 130… many times I stopped the workouts midway, but then I started to tough it out and complete them, as I knew in my gut that nothing bad would happen if I pushed myself…

I am 21 months off and my worst symptoms are: super lightheaded/dizzy, air hunger, palpitations, tremors, anxiety attacks with heart rate going up to 150 even when sitting down… had a bunch of heart tests done, all normal…

If it would make u feel better, get a pulse oximiter and monitor your oxygen, it’ll ease your concern…

Karla

Exercising will not prevent you from healing. Some people have exercise intolerance (I had this for a little bit in the beginning) where I would just feel awful after exercise - shaking, internal vibrations, etc. But at some point that shifted, and now I feel the best when I am exercising. Listen to your body, and rest assured it will not slow your healing (unless you are overdoing it, and you will know if you are overdoing it).