4 months off on September 26th

[SU...]

Hi,

I will be 4 months off in a few days, September 26th. I’ve read about the phases of withdrawal but they aren’t really specific. I like everyone is different but am I getting closer to not being in acute withdrawal anymore? I’m extremely anxious, sad and still feel pretty sick. I started an antidepressant to see if it might help. I’m on my 3rd try. I don’t know if it was a good idea or a bad idea to start on one. Can anyone help with the phase of withdrawal and where I am? I’m at 118 days at 0mg.

Thank you

Hi SUCCEED14,

I’m so sorry to hear you are struggling at nearly the 4 month mark, but I would just ask you to keep in mind that the acute period of 1 - 4 months is not fixed, it can sometimes take longer. You are doing really well, 4 months is a great milestone. You are well on your way to better days, it’s just that you can’t see it at the moment. Yes, you are indeed getting towards the end of the acute phase, just trust you are healing, even whilst feeling so unwell. Trust that your day is coming where you will notice things beginning to change. I can’t tell you when, as it’s different for everyone, but it is coming, and you will heal!

What antidepressant have you been prescribed, and when did you start taking the antidepressant?

It’s very common for antidepressants to actually increase anxiety over the first 3 - 4 weeks before settling down.

You’re doing well, SUCCEED14!

You are nearly through the most difficult phase!

Hi, thank you so much for responding. Not many people do. I actually tried Wellbutrin then Lexapro, now I’m on Zoloft. I had weird side affects on the first 2. I’m thinking some of the anxiety is from that. I also have trauma stuff rearing it’s ugly head. I was on klonopin 15 years - 18 months for 2 pregnancies. I was able to stop no problem for the pregnancies. I know it’s different for everyone I’m just hopeful to be somewhat near the 4 month mark to start to turn a corner even a little. I still don’t entirely understand the 4 phases.

Thank you.

Hi SUCCEED14,

I think the 4 phases something that you can only really understand as you reach and experience each phase, so I wouldn’t focus too much on understanding them. You will know when you shift in to the second phase because you will be experiencing it for the first time. The fear you are experiencing is another symptom of withdrawal, and you are probably saying to yourself “what if this never changes”, but it will. Trust in the process and try to calm yourself where you can. Your symptoms will feel worse if you focus all that fear and attention on them. Try to distract yourself as much as possible. You will come out the other side of this. You will heal.

Here’s a link that may help you understand what’s going on in your brain

What’s happening inside your brain

We’ll support you through this!