Staying afraid of the same things

[Pe...]

Hi all, why is it so that I am afraid of the same walk everyday, or stay afraid of things I did before and nothing much happened then? Years ago I had agoraphobia and was afraid to venture to far away from home. I overcame that by pushing myself to go further and further away each time. I was not afraid anymore of distances I had already covered. This time in benzo-withdrawal it is different. I stay afraid of things I already did many times, like taking a shower or going to the supermarket. Even thinking about it can make me anxious. Can anyone relate or has gone through this?

Fear is a huge withdrawal symptom but I feel its important to push back on it when you can, I actually talked to it out loud, I'd say this isn't real, its not me and it won't be me when I recover. 

Hi Plad and Pamster thank you for reaching out! It seems that exposure doesn't help with this anxiety, because it keeps happening. But giving up is not an option. I'll have to keep venturing out and do things. It's just so hard to overcome this same fear again and again.

I guess time is the only healer. I cannot bike or walk the receptors back in my brain. Yet I feel it is helpful in a way, the distraction and exercise is good. So hard to motivate myself at this point at almost 6 months out, but I have to do something to ease my anxiety.

I walked a lot too, plus I worked full time and took on huge yard projects, anything to keep moving.  I couldn't sit still so I put my misery to good use.  :laugh:

Thanks Pamster! Yesterday I distracted to much I think. Sat with a friend in the afternoon and in the evening joined a party for the first time in years. Today I'm paying dearly for it with high morning anxiety lasting into the afternoon.

Seems to be a pattern, a day full of activity is followed by a bad day full of symptoms. Just when I feel I'm making progress, I'm slammed right back into withdrawals.

I walked a lot too, plus I worked full time and took on huge yard projects, anything to keep moving.  I couldn't sit still so I put my misery to good use.  :laugh:

Wow.

I cannot believe you worked while in cold turkey withdrawals.

I’ve done exposure therapy for couple years done zilch doesn’t help at all. Can’t believe I have to struggle just to walk past people in the street. Nearly 40 months this crap still not recovered😡

Fear is a huge withdrawal symptom but I feel its important to push back on it when you can, I actually talked to it out loud, I'd say this isn't real, its not me and it won't be me when I recover.

I need to do this.

Unfortunately, I have always had lots of fear even as a child.