Tips for Calming Down when Panic sets in

[...]

1. Tell yourself that your body feels funny, but that's it, nothing else is happening. There is no need to worry about what is wrong with you, you'll just panic more. It's just your body over-reacting to something that is not there and it helps to remember that.

2. When you feel anxious, usually it is because you are thinking irrational thoughts about things...and this escalates the anxiety. If you can write down what you are experiencing and thinking in a Journel, and then write the most rational responses to your irrational thoughts, ie "I am going crazy!" Response: "I am NOT going crazy, this is temporary. It is my brain chemistry playing tricks on me. I am NOT scared of the situation, I am scared of my body's reaction which is a FALSE reaction, I am ok!" etc. Writing helps to get you out of the distorted thinking that both causes and makes existing anxiety worse.

3. Breath breath breath, Concentrate on breathing from your diaphragm, not your upper chest.

4. Yoga - or any sort of stretching that involves deep rhythmic breathing and draining thoughts from your head. Focus on an object or on one thought/feeling. If Yoga is not an option, writing helps tremendously. Write anything - your thoughts, observations, this documentation permits you to evaluate your condition. What causes the anxiety and what alleviates it. Moreover, it drains your frustration - letting it out.

5. Read a really good book or see a movie, whatever holds your attention best and takes your mind off your anxiety. It's important to let go of that anxiety and concentrate on something else completely.

6. A nice long, hot bath or shower to relax your muscles and your mind!

7. A helpful phrase to use is, "They are only feelings, they can't hurt me".

8. Remind yourself that sensation is just that - sensation. You have to tell yourself that the physical sensations you're experiencing are not life threatening. It also helps to list for yourself all the times you have been able to do the very things you're afraid of.

9. One of the best ways to combat fear is to exercise - Not only does it relieve stress, it also produces endomorphins which raise your sense of well being - and it becomes another thing that reinforces your "rational" belief that you are not in any physical danger.

10. Drink a warm cup of milk which helps to relax so that you can start to think more rationally, without the anxiety clouding your thoughts. It usually helps to calm the anxious feelings.

11. If you "act" calm, you will be calm. Imitate the body language of a relaxed person and you will take on that feeling within minutes.

12. When you have a panic attack do deep breathing, and say over and over you are calm and relaxed. Think only positive thoughts, instead of thinking you're dying, tell yourself you are fine, you have gone through this many times and nothing has happened before, it takes a lot of practice.

13. Take a nice long walk, the exercise will help to clear your mind or talk to someone you're close to and tell them how you're feeling. Just telling someone else makes you look at it objectively.

14. Listen to music, it takes you away, write a letter to nobody, recite the alphabet backwards, If you're driving pick a color and start counting cars of that colour until you reach 100. Distraction is the key.

15. After you realize that it's just an attack and you're not dying or anything, you will calm yourself down, put on headphones and listen to relaxation music and do some more deep breathing.

What to do if you feel an Anxiety/Panic attack coming on to avoid it?

If you feel a panic or anxiety attack coming on, think through the problem by breaking it down. Imagine the worst that can happen. Nine times out of ten it then appears less serious.

author unknown

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Be...]

• [ho...]

• [Ro...]

• [es...]

This is great, Jeff.  :thumbsup: Do you mind if I move it to the Anxiety and Panic board?  That's usually where we refer people who are having a difficult time with anxiety and they might not find it on the Off Topic board.

This is great, Jeff.  :thumbsup: Do you mind if I move it to the Anxiety and Panic board?  That's usually where we refer people who are having a difficult time with anxiety and they might not find it on the Off Topic board.

Feel free to move it anywhere!  I am new to posting..I'll figure it out one of these days!

• 3 weeks later...

Jeff,

You're the best. Thanks for the tips.

Still dealing with anxiety--lots of it. Also intrusive thoughts which create anxiety big time. See you in chat.

Danny-o

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jeff,

Thank you for the post. I have not posted for a while but I've been reading, been feeling anxious lately and your post helped. Thank you, thank you, thank you.  :thumbsup:

Swirl

• 1 month later...
11. If you "act" calm, you will be calm. Imitate the body language of a relaxed person and you will take on that feeling within minutes.

Great post..I especially like this one, this is what I did through my entire tapper and everyday since. It works! :thumbsup:

510. Drink a warm cup of milk which helps to relax so that you can start to think more rationally, without the anxiety clouding your thoughts. It usually helps to calm the anxious feelings.

Does it have to be warm milk specifically? I am allergic to milk. I do like a nice cup of hot, decaf, green tea when I'm anxious though.

This is awesome. Thanks Jeff. I struggled a bit last night putting #8 into practice, but once I did it, the anxiety and spasms decreased a lot faster than if I had freaked myself out.  :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
exercise is huge for anxiety.  i do martial arts, and i swear i've gone to class in full blown panic attack mode, told myself its nothing to get worked up about, and about 10 minutes into the class the anxiety is completely gone and im focused on what we're learning.  Running too, however I only find running helpful for me for anxiety when I run so hard and fast that all I can feel is how tired I am.  The first post with all the things you can do to avoid/deal with a panic attack is awesome.  I'm currently on a klonopin taper and have gotten used to popping a pill whenever I feel anxious, so any drug free remedy is a huge help for me. 

Hello All,

Just wanted to pop in and share what has been happening as of late.  Feel PRETTY DAMN GOOD today! Went through a HORRIBLE time with muscle cramps..insomnia...restless legs... at one point It felt difficult to even walk..I got winded VERY easily. I have always been an athletic person..and I honestly felt like a 98 year old man on oxygen. It was VERY difficult for me to leave the comfort of my own home. Grocery shopping..especially Walmart was a total nightmare. My senses were reved up to the max. I could smell a womans perfume from 50 feet away.

I dreaded going to sleep at night..for each night brought a new production of VERY VIVID dreams..in TRUE COLOR..scenes of ex wife..ex girlfriends and in general things that didnt make ay sense at all. I would wake up at least 4 times a night..covers twisted in a knot...My body felt like a heavyweight boxer was pounding on me all night long. NOT rested at all..in fact almost exhausted. I would wake up..eat a little bit..then go back to sleep on my Couch for a few hours. My biggest problem was ..if I were to give it a label would be Agoraphobia. I wasnt necessarily fearful of the market place so to speak. I just DIDNT want to get off the couch period. Seriously..I spent the last year watching tv..NO excercise at ALL..chain smoking my MARLBORO LiGHTS.

Luckily I was financially able to do this. The thought of doing even the most menial of work was out of the question. (I come from a background of 23 years of medical sales) Things are SLOWLY getting better..the muscle cramps havent visited me in a few weeks. I am able to buy groceries and hit the Walmart (I still wear my sunglasses in there ;->) I am sick of the couch...it's actually getting boring as hell laying there wasting my day away. My naps are down to one a day. I am getting sick of smoking ciggerettes. My dreams at night now make sense..and arent so damn vivid. I am sleeping much better. I no longer get as winded as I was getting. I am THINKING about starting to excercise again. I actually answer the phone now. I am having "Previews of Coming Attractions" thoughts in my head..where I am actually Physically, Mentally, and Spiritually fit...with feelings of Peace & Serenity. I AM supplementing with high end vitamins and minerals..and I can honestly say that I think it has worked wonders for me. Ok That's enough for now... If I had any advice to give it would be to be patient..Time does heal!..I dont thing any of us are "Terminally Unique"  we will all get better...NOT as fast as we want to but what are ya gonna do?  When times are VERY tough..distract yourself with ANYTHING...do your laundry..clean your bathroom..vacum...Adopt a pet.

Ciao' and God Bless!

jeff hale

Hey Jeff,

We've never talked, but I just read your post and I'm blown away. Thanks so much for sharing your life and hope with us.  We need people like you to help our members cling to life and hope.

Keep coming back if you can....I recognize some of your phrases- experience, strength and hope.....are you a friend of Bill W.?

Pam

Hi Jeff,

When I started on klono, I was working at WalFart. There was a study done of stress on consumers in stores. HellMart was top of the list. The main source of the stress was from the constant paging. (There were other problems cited too, but that was top of the list.) WM decided that no one was supposed to page for anything unless there was no other way to get help. Employees were being written up if they were paging unnecessarily. My guess is that approx. 95% of pages are unnecessary since the employee can either call the dept. they need or they can call the fitting room and have them contact the person via the walkie talkies. 99% of the time a cashier can get what they need by punching in codes to register and it goes to the CSM's. I don't think that lasted even a month and they were back to the constant paging.

I got out of there about 2-3 years ago (when they got rid of Layaway - I was the dept. manager of Layaway and covered the Courtesy Desk for lunches, breaks, illnesses, whatever they could drag me up there for.) I have a hard time in any store, but especially that place. I had to go in there a few weeks ago. I noticed that nothing has changed. A few days ago I went into a different one in a different state, and noticed again that nothing has changed. That chain is the most stressful place there is to shop.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't stand regular soymilk but I drink hot chocolate soymilk. It does have sugar of some sort though but it is calming to me.....

I think it is the tryptophan(?) in warm milk that has the calming effect. my guess is soy does not have that.

great post though, huh!!

Be well!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jeff

Here is to the Coming Attractions :yippee:

I sure understand the Walmart thing I have to wear sunglasses everywhere esp there because of all the florescense lights and I do understand the perfume thing I get it everywhere. Even my freinds are sick of me and my olfactory senses.

Can't ride in anyone's car or vist a home with candles burning. It's getting old and I do try and fit in but it is very difficult.

My dancing nights are getting harder cause of all the cologne on the men lol.

Have a great time with your windows you deserve it and keep those dreams good ones.

Pennyblue

:smitten:

• 1 month later...

I love that list!  That is exactly the type of thing that works for me when I start tripping.  hard lists.  try this.  try that.  one i would add - i heard this somewhere and it seems to help.  She said if you start feeling the panic attack, start singing.  sing anything, in your head or whereever, like "twinkle little star" because of the distraction effect.

in response to the subtext in this thread: i have never seen so much negativity as in walmart.  i have seen people dying on the ground (twice, with paramedics.  and other people reaching over them to get their tater tots or whatever) and so many fights in and out front.  Some people say it's a psychic vibe from all the advertising psychologically designed to pull your attention.  I avoid going there as much as possible!  :o

• 1 month later...

in response to the subtext in this thread: i have never seen so much negativity as in walmart.  i have seen people dying on the ground (twice, with paramedics.  and other people reaching over them to get their tater tots or whatever) and so many fights in and out front.  Some people say it's a psychic vibe from all the advertising psychologically designed to pull your attention.  I avoid going there as much as possible!   :o

I used to work there. That's when my panic attacks first started. I don't think it's a coincidence at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Feel free to move it anywhere!  I am new to posting..I'll figure it out one of these days!

excellent post. I am impressed. Vicky

[0a...]
It was interesting to read about those who have trouble in Wal mart. Wal mart has been one of biggest problem areas. I could just step in and zap!....something about the lighting seems to do something to my head! And the incessant noise .....ugh. All of the suggestions at the begginning of this thread are good...but what do you do if you are at work, stuck in a cublicle on the phone or in church or at a funeral? I've had trouble in all those spots...deep breathing did nothing for me. any suggestions in tight spots when you cant get up? thanks

It was interesting to read about those who have trouble in Wal mart. Wal mart has been one of biggest problem areas. I could just step in and zap!....something about the lighting seems to do something to my head! And the incessant noise .....ugh. All of the suggestions at the begginning of this thread are good...but what do you do if you are at work, stuck in a cublicle on the phone or in church or at a funeral? I've had trouble in all those spots...deep breathing did nothing for me. any suggestions in tight spots when you cant get up? thanks

If the controlled/deep breathing didn't work for you, maybe you are doing it wrong or quitting too soon, Kate.  I combine that with mental "messages" about the feelings I'm having that reassure me that I'm not going to die or start screaming, etc.  I haven't had to do it in so long I actually can't remember precisely.  At any rate, it was something I just came up with for myself after reading a lot of books and listening to a lot of audio about anxiety and panic.  One of my favorites was Claire Weekes.  You used to be able to download some of her audio files for free but that resource is gone now.  It might be worth it to buy some of her CDs or books.  Here's her website (she's now deceased):

http://www.claireweekes.com.au/products-CDs.html

I practiced A LOT when I was feeling fine and not in a stressful situation so it would be nearly automatic when I could feel the anxiety welling up.  It's really too late to practice when you are already poised to panic.  ::)