Introduction

[Ca...]

Hi everyone, I have been off of xanax for 43 days now. I was on it for 4 weeks with a 2 week taper at the end. I reacted very badly, very quickly. My acute phase was extremely difficult, so difficult in fact that I admitted myself to a psychiatric hospital for 2 weeks. About 2 weeks ago the acute phase ended and now I seem to be in the protracted phase. The symptoms I had during acute were dominated by the "brain rocking sensation", but I also had intrusive thoughts, neuropathy, extreme panic attacks, akathasia, headaches and trembling with severe body aches, specifically in my neck, shoulders and upper back. I am currently still suffering with headaches, anxiety/panic, insomnia, brain fog, and severe depression. I am struggling A LOT and am looking for support during this nightmare. Yesterday I cried on and off all day begging for it to end, please help me.

Hello Catsforlyfe and welcome to Benzo Buddies!

I'm so sorry you've been through such a very tough time and suffering so much with withdrawal symptoms from short term use of Xanax.  One of the cruelties of benzos is that even short term use can create so much suffering for people who were only looking for relief.  The symptoms you describe are sadly very common in withdrawal and they can go on for a while, eventually easing up as your body heals.  I'm glad some of them have already stopped.  Please know that it is normal for many people to experience the symptoms you're experiencing at this phase.  It isn't an indication that you won't heal. In fact, for many short term users, withdrawal can be shorter than for long term use. 

It's so good you found BB.  I feel confident you'll find information and support here that will make your path easier.  We understand what you're going through because we've been through it ourselves.  I think you will find much encouragement in reading Success Stories. I found it immensely comforting to read them when I was in the thick of withdrawal and feeling discouraged.

Please explore the site and feel free to start your own threads with your questions.  Here are some links  (including Success Stories). I think will be especially helpful to you as you get started:

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support 

Success Stories

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms

Add your history/signature

Welcome - please let us know how we can help you-

Brighterday