Why I'm Here - Karbonon

[ka...]

Hello! My doctor introduced me to this community today, I am currently in the process of a prescribed taper after a pretty bad relapse that began in April of this year.

Long story short, throughout my teenage years, I experimented with many substances and ultimately found my drug of choice, benzos. 3 stints in rehab later and over 3 years clean (now 24 years old), I had a significant relapse in which I got hooked on a very high dosage of designer benzos (research chemicals) along with some other substances I have quit cold turkey (non-benzos). I'm not sure how well-known these substances are in this community but the main ones I was using were: Flualprazolam, Flubromazepam, and Bromazolam. This relapse lasted for about 4 months of daily benzo (and other substance) usage, I came clean with my friends and family and found a withdrawal management clinic that has been helping me for the last month and a half on the start of my taper.

Because of my very high dosage of benzos, I was started on 10mg of Diazepam 3 times daily (30mg) for the first month to stabilize my dosage, then they added in Gabapentin daily (1200mg spread throughout the day) to help with sleep and withdrawal symptoms. 2 weeks ago they began to taper me down, so since then I have been on 25mg of Diazepam daily (5mg drop) and they just dropped that down to 22.5mg Diazepam daily today. I was also just prescribed Zoloft to help combat the anxiety, starting slow, but within a week I will be on 75mg of Zoloft daily.

Finally, I am interested in joining the community because of the lack of support for benzo addiction outside of the internet. I have been to NA and AA, but never quite felt at home in those communities. Just the few minutes of browsing the forums I did before registering has already given me a sense of community and fellowship I think I could really use going forward with my taper and eventual sobriety.

Thank you!

- Karbonon

Hello Karnonon and welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We're so glad you joined us!  You'll find a wealth of good information as well as the support and sense of community you're seeking.  This is a place where you'll find others who have experiences similar to yours. This community understands what you're going through in a way no one can who hasn't walked this hard path.

I have to salute your doctor for directing you to BB too.

Please take your time to explore the site and different boards. Here are a few links to help you get started.

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Success Stories

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms

Add your history/signature

Again, welcome - let us know how we can help you,

Brighterday