temazepam Withdrawal

[Ga...]

Hi Gabs12

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We’re glad you found us.

I’m sorry you feel so unwell, Gabs12, it seems you’ve developed a dependence quite quickly, and unfortunately your taper was so fast that it could only be considered no less than a cold turkey. Once dependent, it is recommended to make 5-10% reductions from each new current dose every 10-14 days, although some members need to go slower. As you were only on the medication short term, it’s possible your recovery will

will be much faster than someone on the medication long term. Most short term users generally recover fully anywhere within weeks to 6 months.

You have two options, you can choose to ride out the withdrawal you are experiencing, or if the symptoms are intolerable, then you can reinstate at a dose to help you stabilise and then do a slow taper, although a taper is not always without its own symptom based discomfort.

Can you tell me what dose you were taking over the 3 weeks?

As you were only very short term, I think if I was in your position, I’d just ride out the acute withdrawal period, rather than reinstate and taper off. However, I think the best thing we can do is provide you with the information and resources to help you make your own informed decision.

We have a community of friendly, helpful members who are happy to share their own experiences and reply to any questions you may have.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reply here.

Again, welcome

WS

Here are a few links to help you make a decision

The Ashton Manual

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal

Withdrawal Symptoms

Thank you for replying.

I was on 10mg for 3wks. My doctor advised I only taper for 3 days..

Since I’ve been off Temazepam for nearly 7 days now I guess I should just ride it out.

Has anyone found Melatonin works for the insomnia whilst in withdrawal?

Currently taking Unisom which makes me very drowsy the next day.

Thanks 🙏

I was on Temazepam  (15 mg) for 3 weeks and just finished 15 months since CT.  I have not found anything that really helps with the insomnia other than to time to heal.  Deep breathing before sleeping seems to help put me more in the mood to sleep.  What I found works best is not to fear not sleeping.  I am currently getting about 6 to 7 hours of sleep waking up 2 to 3 times a night.  Hang in there - it will get better but be prepared that sometimes it gets worse before getting better.

Hi Gabs12,

My own experience is that melatonin and many other sleep aids generally only work for a couple of nights and then lose their effectiveness. I have melatonin here, but I generally only use it once in a while when I’ve had a more than a few nights of poor sleep. I figure that using it like this may be more effective, but as I said, in general most members find that these sleep aids only work the first one or two nights.

Also, just in case you are concerned, I’d just like to let you know that even though Newbie2Temaz is still having insomnia or sleep issues at 15 months, it doesn’t necessarily mean you will. Each individual is different when it comes to recovery and healing. So don’t worry yourself or jump to conclusions. You could also recover very quickly.

You can also ask for advise on melatonin or what works for other members by using these links below

Alternative Therapies & Supplements

Other Medications

WS

Hi Gabs,

Unfortunately you doctor doesn’t seem to understand how to withdraw someone from benzodiazepines, the majority of them don’t. I’m sorry they put you in this situation.

WS

Thank you WS yes was freaking out when the member above mentioned 15mths!

I never actually had insomnia only had it when  I had Covid so was prescribed Temazepam then.

And agree Doctors seem to know nothing about the effects of these drugs.

Thanks again.

I did not mean to freak anyone out with the 15 months.  It is different for everyone.  I have found that it is not good for me to focus on the when, I just look at each and every day as another one toward 100% recovery.  Prior to my use of Temazepam that I took for a short time of sleep issues due to a health scare that turned out to be nothing, I always slept great and have never used any benzo prior.  Again, everyone is different and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Hi Gabs12,

I’ll provide a couple of links here to give you more insight in to the recovery phase/phases, but please let me stress that with short term users, these phases often play out within six months or less. For longer term users, it’s often between 6 - 18 months to full recovery, however, even some of the longer term users up to 12 months of use recover within 6 months. There are no guarantees because it depends on each individuals body chemistry and a number of other potential variables. Remain positive and trust that no matter how you are feeling or how intense your symptoms, your brain is always in the process of repair and healing. You will heal!

Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

What’s happening inside your brain

WS

Hi WS

I didn’t mention previously that I’m on 1mg of Lexapro that I have tapered over a very long time from 20mg. I tried to come off Lexapro before and it wasn’t great so went back on and tapered down to the 1mg and all has been fine until I went on the Temazepam.

Do you know if there any interaction between these two drugs or am I just experiencing the typical Temazepam withdrawal?

Thanks again.

Hi Gabs,

Just off the top of my head, I can’t give you any definitive answer to Lexapro specifically, although there can be interactions between combinations of medications. I’m on Lexapro also, and tapering, and I don’t attribute any of my symptoms to the Lexapro. I expect what you are more likely experiencing are the withdrawal symptoms from the benzo, but below is a link you can use to start a thread asking others if they’ve noticed any interaction.

It’s great that you’re now down to 1mg Lexapro.

Other Medications

Interesting that you raise this question.  As I previously posted, I was never on a benzo before Temazepam but took Lexapro from 2007 to 2009 and stopped with no issues.  Perhaps a correlation ???

Hi Gabs,

As with much of this process, it can often be a series of trial and error.

We are all very individual in what works for us and what doesn’t.

Some members find it helpful, whereas others not so much, and then there’s always the possibility that it may cause a setback for some.

Whatever you choose to try, proceed with extreme caution.

Here are a couple of links to start a thread and get some feedback from other members…

Other Medications

Alternative Therapies & Supplements

WS