Hi!

[Ch...]

I'm here because I found the threads I've read very insightful and helpful. This seems like a very supportive community, and I'd like to get some feedback and provide some, too.

I was on 2mg of Klonopin a day for about ten years. Recently, my psychiatrist retired, and when I got a new one, I specifically sought one out who seemed weary of benzos. He was maybe even more skeptical than I imagined, and he wanted me weaned off in one month or two.

Since starting my taper two months ago and reducing my daily dose by .5mg every two weeks, I went a few days taking nothing. The withdrawal symptoms became basically unbearable, though, so I have taken .5mg each day the last couple days.

Hi CharliesDad

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm glad you've decided to taper of your Klonopin but I think your psychiatrist wanting you off in one to two months is way too fast. This is also evident in the unbearable symptoms you've experienced. It's very good you've reinstated to 0.5mg. How are you feeling now? Do you think your new psychiatrist will be on board with you to slow down your taper? I suggest you hold your dose at 0.5mg for a couple of weeks so your body has time to adjust to all the cuts you've made.

Usually we recommend a taper of 5-10% of each new dose every two weeks or so, but it's best to let your symptoms guide your taper rate. This should allow you to remain functional while tapering. So many people taper slower than this if symptoms are tough.

Here are some links to get you started:

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Please look around and let us know how we can help you!