Diazepam Use

[Li...]

I have been using Diazepam on an as needed basis for about 7-8 yrs. I typically cut my 5 mg in half. On average use 1-2 times per month. Tired of relying on it for high anxiety.

Hi, LivefreeSC

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We’re glad you found us.

It sounds like you are after some information and guidance in tapering off you medication safely. You’ve come to the right place!

Typically we suggest a reduction of 5-10% of your current dose every 10-14 days, however, you say your only dosing once or twice a month, so I might discuss this with another team member to see if there’s a more appropriate schedule for your limited prn usage.

In the meantime, feel free to look around the site.

You will have access to plenty of information and resources, and the opportunity to share any questions you may have with a community of friendly, helpful members.

Again, welcome!

WS

Here are a few links to get you started while I discuss your situation with one of the team

The Ashton Manual

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

I have been using Diazepam on an as needed basis for about 7-8 yrs. I typically cut my 5 mg in half. On average use 1-2 times per month. Tired of relying on it for high anxiety.

Are you saying you only use 2.5 mgs of valium 1-2 times a month? That is good. You probably are not addicted. Are you on any other psychiatric medications?

How do you try to manage your anxiety in between the infrequent doses of Valium?

Welcome to BB LivefreeSC.

Hi LivefreeSC,

We’ve discussed your usage, and we’ve come to the conclusion that if you’ve only been dosing 2.5 - 5mg diazepam once or twice a month, we think you should probably be fine to stop the medication at any time, without any long term acute symptoms. You may feel increased symptoms for a day or two, but they should just subside after that. Just keep in mind that if you do have a few days of symptoms, it’s most important that you attribute any intense symptoms to the withdrawal from the medication and not an underlying condition bleeding through. Just give yourself time for the symptoms to settle.

If you have any other questions or concerns you feel you would like to share, please feel free to reply.

WS

Please remember that you have access to the forum and can ask any questions you may have about your symptoms and recovery on the link below.

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support