Hello - I am getting ready to start a micro taper from Ambien

[Ja...]

Hello. I feel like it is a big step for me to join BenzoBuddies.  I am a senior, a female.  I first had trouble sleeping 20 years ago when I was going through a very difficult time. A doctor prescribed Ativan at the time.  For most of the past 20 years I've taken some sort of medication to help me sleep (Ativan, Xanax, or Ambien).  When I have tried to quit or cut back, I have had bad insomnia.  I feel that Ambien makes me depressed and not able to think clearly. My sleep is not quality sleep - I feel like I'm just unconscious for a period of time.

I've been reading the Ashton Manual, the info and posts on BenzoBuddies, and the material at the website Benzodiazepine Information Coalition.  I hope I will be able to use a very slow micro taper to get off Ambien for good!  I am worried this might not work!  I would appreciate any feedback from you all.  Especially anyone with feedback about people who are seniors being able to quit.  Thank you so much.

Jackie

Hi Jackie5151!

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm glad you took the step to join us as I know it can be daunting to join a forum to seek help. It seems like you've done some homework in reading the Ashton Manual as well searching BIC. We will gladly help and support you in your tapering journey. We have quite a lot of seniors who are currently tapering or have successfully tapered their benzo, so you're not alone.

Generally we recommend a taper of 5-10% of each new dose every two weeks or so, but it's best to let your symptoms dictate your taper rate. This should allow you to remain functional.

Here are some links to get you started:

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Please look around and let us know how we can help you!