Short term use jumping

[Ca...]

Hi, 4,5 weeks ago i was prescribed xanax for being burned out with panic attacks and anxiety. The prescription read: .5mg 3 times/day for 2 weeks. Then 2 times/day for 2 weeks and finally .5mg every other day for 2 weeks.

I took the xanax as prescribed the first week and then started reducing the dose.

Starting week 2 i took 1.25mg/day and by the end of the week i was down to .5mg/day.

Starting week 3 i took .5mg/day and by the end of the week i was down to 0.375mg/day

Starting week 4 i took 0.375mg/day and by the end of the week i was down to 0.125mg/day

This is week 5 and it has been 3 days were i only have taken 0.0625 to 0.0500 each day.

Of course this is pill splitting so theres no way of knowing the exact amount. I break them into sixteenths of a pill. I have been using small amounts of alcohol during this period but never been intoxicated except 2 days ago. My sleep is not that good and thats the reason i got drunk. I'm feeling fatigued, nauseas with increased tinnitus and slight loss of appetite but not to a point were i can't stand it. I basically feel like i'm hung over. So my qustion is should i jump and quit taking the xanax?

Hello CaptainBeyond,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  I'm actually glad your doctor gave you just a short term prescription for xanax, that is a good thing. Benzos should be taken for no more than 2-3 weeks to avoid developing a physical dependency.  You are just outside that time frame.

I would caution against the use of alcohol while on benzos or during a withdrawal process. Alcohol targets the same receptors as benzos. This could be part of the reason for how you feel. 

Although you took xanax short term use, it is possible to have withdrawal effects. One common withdrawal effect is insomnia. You seem to be tolerating the other symptoms such as tinnitus and lethargy.

You are at a very low dose. Although we generally recommend not skipping days when tapering off benzos, you are so close to zero, if it were me, I would step off now. You will likely have some withdrawal symptoms continue until your system regulates.  Again, adding alcohol to the mix can confuse and already confused nervous system.

For now, I'll give you a link to the Withdrawal Support Board. You can post there and receive feedback from others. 

Have you looked at modalities to ease panic and anxiety? Things such as CBT, meditation, box breathing can be helpful.

Settle in and do some reading, ask questions, we're here to help.

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

pianogirl  :)

Thnx for your answer. Just reading your feedback makes me feel a little bit better. I added all days and the total amount of xanax adds up to a total of 24mg over a 4 week period with constant tapering. I'm gonna take your advice and stop right now. I did a lot of research after the first week on xanax on wikipedia and youtube. One warning flag after another popped up and thats when i started tapering. Benzo buddies reasurred me that my doctor was wrong, i never needed such a strong medication. The most annoying thing is i saw him a couple of days ago. I told him i can't sleep so he gave me another prescription called Temesta. I looked it up when i got home and guess what. It's another Benzo. Thnx to this site i never touched it and i won't. Another positive thing about my story is living in Scandinavia. I can be on sick leave for a few months with pay. It's time to start to heal and live a healthy sober life. Thnx and hugs from the deep woods of Sweden.

• 2 weeks later...

A short update for a couple of reasons. First a thank you to the community, members and staff. It meant a lot to me to access all information regarding my concerns on benzo.

Second, to all short time users seeking information and comfort regarding their issues. It has now been two weeks since i stopped using xanax and i am doing pretty good. I guess my WD symptoms starded pretty much the day i lowered the dose and when i finally quit i got really ill. Insomnia, headaches, nausea, palpitations, tight chest, restless and so on. This lasted a week and from there on i have been improving. Right now my biggest problem is my low energy and a feeling of unease.

I wasn't feeling well before i was prescribed benzo so it's hard for me to tell the difference. I was burned out with a lot of anxiety regarding a lot of things in my life that was beyond my control. A lot of these problems remain and theres nothing i can do to change any of them so i guess i have to work my way around them. I know for sure that benzo wasn't the answer. I will check back and update this post so all short term users can follow my progress and to all long time warriors, keep fighting until you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Congratulations on being benzo-free CaptainBeyond!  I'm glad to hear that you are confident that benzos aren't the answer to life's challenges.  Benzos only bring temporary relief and after a while, they don't even do that - at least that was my experience.  It is also nice to hear that the majority of your withdrawl symptoms didn't linger too long.

I look forward to hearing from you again CB.  Remember that checking in here for support when you need it is always an option.  This community has gotten me through some pretty tough times.

• 1 month later...
Another short update. I'm doing fairly good. I think i finally found a way do deal with all the unease that has been plagueing me both before and after benzo. I'm doing light exercise and eat multi vitamin supplement. Also multi mineral supplement and multi amino acid supplement. I also drink alot of different tea. I drink tea made from St Johns wort, chamomile, lemon balm, lavender and also CBD tea. Last but not least i eat supplement made from turnip root. All this and some massage and walks in the forrest has so far done me alot of good and made me feel better. Take care, be safe and get well.

Hi, 4,5 weeks ago i was prescribed xanax for being burned out with panic attacks and anxiety. The prescription read: .5mg 3 times/day for 2 weeks. Then 2 times/day for 2 weeks and finally .5mg every other day for 2 weeks.

I took the xanax as prescribed the first week and then started reducing the dose.

Starting week 2 i took 1.25mg/day and by the end of the week i was down to .5mg/day.

Starting week 3 i took .5mg/day and by the end of the week i was down to 0.375mg/day

Starting week 4 i took 0.375mg/day and by the end of the week i was down to 0.125mg/day

This is week 5 and it has been 3 days were i only have taken 0.0625 to 0.0500 each day.

Of course this is pill splitting so theres no way of knowing the exact amount. I break them into sixteenths of a pill. I have been using small amounts of alcohol during this period but never been intoxicated except 2 days ago. My sleep is not that good and thats the reason i got drunk. I'm feeling fatigued, nauseas with increased tinnitus and slight loss of appetite but not to a point were i can't stand it. I basically feel like i'm hung over. So my qustion is should i jump and quit taking the xanax?

There are people with short term use that seem to have some of the most and bad withdrawal and/or damage

Big knowledge about withdrawing is needed to be guiding you through withdrawal

(I think that for all types of use withdrawal : short time use and longer time )