Unexpected Withdrawal After Tapering

[Iw...]

Hello,

I am currently withdrawing from Clonazepam. I started out with a large supply of them about 3 months ago and only my new medication assisted treatment (opioid) doctor is aware that I've been on them and doing a self regulated taper. I recently moved and this office does not prescribe benzos at all. The doctor suggested I taper, not giving me any guidance or instruction on how quickly to decrease my dosage. I didn't think this would be a big deal and was pretty confident my self guessed taper was going fine. I've never experienced benzo withdrawal until now. I absolutely should have done some research but changing the past isn't an option now. I was taking roughly 4 mg a day starting 3 months ago and have been taking 1 mg for several weeks. I felt completely fine until yesterday morning which is the day after my last dose. I am having high blood pressure, fast heart rate, feeling like everything is unreal, anxiety of course, random shooting pains in different parts of my body, occasional tinnitus, and am generally uncoordinated, can't concentrate well (it's taken me awhile to write this and I keep having to look back at the last thing I said), everything seems to smell kind of weird..like everything has the same underlying smell, I'm sweating, and have a headache. I'm doing my best to relax and stay as calm as possible. Going into a detox is not an option for me unless I feel like I'm in imminent danger. I just saw my brand new primary doctor the day before yesterday. My blood pressure was already rather high and they wouldn't put me on any bp meds until I come in next time with several recordings of my BP readings. I didn't dare ask about a controlled substance as she stated she doesn't like to put people on medications for any problem unless we've tried some other methods first. I feel like I have a dirty secret and alone minus support of my immediate family plus all of the physical and mental effects are terrible. Writing this on a Friday afternoon so any doctor offices will be closed for the weekend, but I WILL go to ER if I feel that it's the last straw. I have someone watching over me at home who knows what is happening and is constantly checking on me. I never want to go through this again and hoping to hear that other people have made it through this ok.

Summary: Day 2 of withdrawal from 1mg of Clonazepam. Physical and mental effects are very unpleasant to say the least. Didn't think I would end up in this state. Have support at home but wanting to read from others who have been through this. *Have never had any type of seizure*

Thanks so much for reading.

Hi Iwillmakeitthrough,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We’re very glad you found us.

I’m so sorry to hear what you are going through. Clonazepam is a very potent benzo, about 20 times more potent than diazepam (Valium). Your initial dose 3 months ago of 4mg Clonazepam was about the equivalent of 80mg Valium, so as you can see, you have tapered way too fast and you are in acute withdrawal. Doctors never tell us how potent these particular medications are. I was on clonazepam myself at 2 x 0.5mg each day, which I thought was a tiny dose compared to Valium. If only we were informed. But like you said, what’s done is done, can’t change the past, so let’s try and move forward and get you on a sensible taper. I’m glad to know you have someone watching over you, checking on you. I am concerned about your BP and wonder if you have the option of going into a hospital and explaining your current situation. My concern is that things will get worse over the next days as the benzo continues to leave your body. Acute withdrawal will generally last between 1 - 4 months, however, to reach full recovery is often 6 - 18 months. I really think you need to reinstate the benzo at a sufficient dose to try to stabilise. Once stabilised you would taper much more slowly using the information and resources at your disposal here on this forum. We have a community of friendly, helpful members here only too happy to share their own experiences and answer any questions you may have.

I wonder if the person watching over you could go through the links below with you, as I imagine it must be terribly difficult for you to focus your attention through such severe withdrawal.

Is there anywhere you can go to receive medical attention today?

I wish there were more we could do to help you get the medical attention you need sooner from our end.

If you have any other questions I can help you with now, please feel free to ask, we’re here to support you!

Below are a few links to help you along the way.

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidance

The Ashton Manual

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Withdrawal Symptoms

Hello Iwillmakeitthrough, I'm concerned about you, going cold turkey from 1 mg of Clonazepam can be risky, while seizures are rare, they are possible so I'm glad to hear you have someone watching over you.

As Winters sun indicated, things will most likely get worse before they get better as the drug continues to leave your body and the recovery period can indeed last for months and years.  We tell you this to prepare, not scare you and so you can make an informed decision about where to go from here.

Its possible to recover from a cold turkey but it can be more painful than doing a slow taper but a taper is not without its own misery.  The purpose of a taper is to use the drug to minimize the symptoms as you rid yourself of it, its not the best solution but the only one we have because much of the scientific community doesn't recognize our plight.

As I see it you have two choices, continue your cold turkey and suffer through the pain (I quit that way so I understand it) or try to find another doctor to prescribe you enough to reinstate and taper.  We'll help you figure out a taper plan if this is the path you choose and support you as best we can, either way you go.

I'm so sorry for you pain and hope you'll come back to let us know how you're doing.