New to all this

[He...]

I joined after reading a blog about how helpful this community was to the person.

I’ve taken prescriptions for years and even  Xanax at a comically low dose of 0.25 before and had no issue. Then, I had a child and postpartum psychosis—so more meds AND Ativan was prescribed at 1mg a day for me.

Now fast forward, I’ve been on it since end of April and I’m struggling to take only 0.5/day.

I want to taper but when I get to day 3 it’s unbearable. The headaches, the spacey feeling and just general panic. Is. Not. Awesome.

My psychiatrist is amazing and says not to worry! But, I don’t want to be on benzodiazepines forever.

Hello Healing0025, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I'm so sorry that having a child has led you to this nasty drug dependence, and you're right to be concerned because it sounds like your body has become dependent if the .5 mg is getting difficult to stick to.  We become tolerant to our dose and need more to achieve the same effect but we can't keep raising the dose, soon our doctors are forced to cut us off and they'll typically want us to go too fast. 

We've found that reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks can usually keep us functional but of course, milage varies so we suggest reducing at a rate your symptoms will allow, let them be your guide.

I'll provide some links to get you started but please let us know how we can help you.  And just for your information .25 mg of Xanax is equal to 10 mgs Valium, Xanax is one of the strongest benzo's there is and your previous use has most likely set you up for the discomfort you're now dealing with.  Our bodies seem to remember past use and eventually make us pay for it.

Pamseter

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms