Here after an unfortunate CT

[Pu...]

Hi all, glad I found this resource after a while of unknown answers to questions. I’m here after an unfortunate cold turkey of clonazepam. I took it for about 3 years, 0.5mg once  a week. I didn’t have any info at the time for a taper and wasn’t advised by my doctor at the time. I started 15mg  Mirtazapine at the same time of the cold turkey which I believed to be a big help. I’m now 6 months off of clonazepam, after going through a pretty bad withdrawl I’m doing a lot  better now. I still get a pretty bad panic attack every couple months that’ll last a day or 2. But nothing compared to the first few weeks of withdrawl. I can feel my mind going back to normal slowly. This forum has been super helpful with resources and information and feel relieved to be here. 

Hi Puddy,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

It sounds like you’ve already familiarised yourself with the site, which is great. We’re glad to see you’ve now decided to become a member.

Cold turkey can be very rough and potentially dangerous, so we would normally discourage such an abrupt discontinuation, but the great thing is that you now seem to be well on your way in your recovery.

Obviously there will be plenty of resources and support here for you, including the opportunity to ask any questions you may have regarding your recovery. All the members are only too happy to share their own experiences and help each other out.

Again, welcome!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Here are a few links to get you on your way.

Post-withdrawal Recovery Support

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal

Four Phases of Withdrawal-Where Are You?

What’s happening inside your brain

Withdrawal Symptoms

Hi Puddy and welcome to BB.

I took it for about 3 years, 0.5mg once  a week.

So, you only took one .5 mg tablet of klonopin every 7 days? Is that correct? How did you feel between doses? You rarely see ppl dose so infrequently for long periods of time on a benzo. What usually happens is the doses get closer and closer until daily use starts, then tolerance, and higher and higher doses follow.

Hi there Antibenzo7. Thanks for the greeting and reply. Yes I only took it about once a week, usually on sundays. Which I’m pretty sure is how I got used to that schedule. There were occasional weeks where I took two in a week, and then other times once every two weeks. I felt fine for the most part during the week until I realized I started needing to take it every Sunday to get rid of the anxiety and panic. I actually didn’t even know I was going through withdrawl when I quit, and thought I may have had a bad reaction to the Mirtazapine as I started that as a replacement to the clonazepam.

6 months in now and feeling a lot better but still don’t think I’m fully past it. Anxiety, panic and depression are the worst symptoms. Eating healthy and exercise have been a huge help to me I believe. Plus the Mirtazapine for the acute phase and to help with the depression.