Looking for support while stopping Xanax

[re...]

Hi.....I have been taking doctor prescribed alprazolam (Xanax) .75mg for 35 years. (3 .25 pills a day) My most recent doctor retired, I've been looking for a new one, but now a days the doctors don't want to prescribe them. Soooo I have no choice but to get off of them. I've been taking them for panic disorder and was originally told I would need to take them for the rest of my life. I feel that at my age why take me off of them if they're working? The main reason I'm upset is because I'm terrified the panic attacks will come back. I'm not sure, but I think I'm on a fairly low dose, however, I've been taking them for 35 years!! That's a long time! I'm scared and that is why I joined BenzoBuddies, I'm hoping for reassurance, support and maybe some good tips. I started to taper down on Friday just a tiny bit. I cut the tip of one of the pills off (about a 4th of the pill) I think I will do that for 1 to 2 weeks and then break one in half, etc. Thank you!!

Hello remember to float, welcome to BenzoBuddies,

I agree with you, why come off of them if you haven't experienced any difficulties?  Many do, they become tolerant to their dose and have to increase it to achieve the same effect.  If they don't, they actually begin to experience withdrawal symptoms while still taking it.  Xanax is notorious for having a short half life, many who take it begin to have withdrawal symptoms in between doses so they have to start taking it 3,4,5 and sometimes 6 times a day so you've been extremely lucky.

Tapering from these drugs is difficult and we've found the longer you're on them, the more difficult it can be.  There are some who can take and discontinue these drugs with little to no problem so hopefully you're one of them. 

We suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms will allow, using them as your taper guide will hopefully allow you to stay functional. 

I'll include some links to resources and area's of the forum that may be helpful but be sure to ask questions, we want to help you.

Pamster

Colorado Consortium Benzodiazepine Deprescribing Guidelines

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Chapter 3 Ashton manual, list of symptoms