Serax taper to begin via Ativan crossover

[be...]

Hi Everyone,

Well, after thinking about the titration taper from 15 mg of Serax (once daily, for abou 11 years now), my doctor convinced me to do it via crosover to Ativan.  She wanted nothing to do with the Ashton Manual, which I had purchased on line and brought to her. So... ok, I'll try it her way.

She gave me a prescription for 1 mg pills, and told me to take 1/2 to 1 whole pill per day, to begin the substitutuion.  By my calculation, based on conversions in the Aston Manual, about .75 mg (1/2 plus 1/4 of a pill) is probably equal to my 15 mg Serax dosage.  Does this sound right?

My other question is, when do I try to reduce again, and by how much?

I'm really scared of this whole process. Hope I can do it successfully.  Thanks for all the support you all so generously offer in this forum. 

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [be...]

• [Be...]

• [el...]

• [Th...]

Hi Everyone,

Well, after thinking about the titration taper from 15 mg of Serax (once daily, for abou 11 years now), my doctor convinced me to do it via crosover to Ativan.  She wanted nothing to do with the Ashton Manual, which I had purchased on line and brought to her. So... ok, I'll try it her way.

She gave me a prescription for 1 mg pills, and told me to take 1/2 to 1 whole pill per day, to begin the substitutuion.  By my calculation, based on conversions in the Aston Manual, about .75 mg (1/2 plus 1/4 of a pill) is probably equal to my 15 mg Serax dosage.  Does this sound right?

My other question is, when do I try to reduce again, and by how much?

I'm really scared of this whole process. Hope I can do it successfully.  Thanks for all the support you all so generously offer in this forum. 

Hi Beachrose!

Well, I hate to say this, but ativan is a very strange choice for a crossover. The reason for a valium cross over is it comes in lower potency tablets, which enables you to make smaller(lower strength) cuts to your dose. Also, it is long acting, making for a smoother taper.

Ativan is short acting, but it is longer acting than serax, so that is one plus of the cross over. And the  relative equivelency is ok. 1mg ativan is equal to 20mg serax, according to Ashton. Klonopin would have been a better choice though, if not valium. It's longer acting than ativan.

Having to reduce by a quarter pill is going to be rather hefty. Could she prescribe smaller dose pills? I know it comes in .5mg, and maybe even .25mg, (not sure about that)

Or you could do a titration taper, which is mixing your powdered benzo in a liquid, allowing you to make smaller reductions.

Try not to be scared. We'll help you.

Hi again,

I would wait to begin your taper. You want your body to adjust to the crossover for a week or so.

I thought it might be best to stay on the equal dose of the Ativan for a little while before beginning the taper.  Would a couple weeks be too long?  I had askd re: valium instead and she was not too agreeable.  I am sure I can get a lower dose when ready so it's easier to cut.  I have the supplies for titration, too, if needed but feel unsure about how to do that. Hoping for a direct taper once I've made the switch over to the Ativan...just need to know if the next cut should be by 1/8, or titration...A 1/8 cut is going to be difficult, knowing that it's a small pill to work with.  But is this is reasonable amount to cut by?

A 1/8 cut is going to be difficult, knowing that it's a small pill to work with.  But is this is reasonable amount to cut by?

Yes, it's a reasonable amount for now, I think. That's what I did with klon. 1/8th mg cuts. I"m glad you have the titration supplies. Colin is very good at explaining it in detail, and will take care of you if and when you like to go that route.  :)

And yes, it's ok to hold for a couple of weeks. Good idea.

To cut by an 1/8th, you can always try crushing a 1/4 pill and splitting into two piles of powder, and just eating one.

OK...I began the substitution with Ativan tonight. (Actually it's the generic lorazepam).  I took 3/4 of the 1 mg pill.  This is a huge step for me.  I'm so grateful for this forum.

I tend to get panic attacks if something that causes me anxiety happens late in the afternoon at work...and sometimes even if something happened earlier in the morning, the panic suddenly begin later in the day.  After reading around on this forum, it sounds like that's more a withdrawal sympton than me.  They are nearly uncontrollable these days.  There is something good in knowing it's my bodie's reaction to needing more serax.  Thanks for all your shares, everybody.

I slept well last night on .75 of a 1 mg tablet.  Had a little dizziness today - I think this is a normal side effect of this drug.  It came and went at 2 different times during the day. Can't wait to be drug free.

Just wanted to ask a question.  My doc, when prescribing the Ativan for crossover, gave me the option of beginning the night by taking one half of a pill, and if needed to take the other half.  One half would have been too little, and taking th other half would have been too much, according to my calculations in the Ashton Manual.  She also said to only break the pills at the line that is cut in them, and not to break them elsewhere - meaning no 1/4 breaks, I think.  (Which of course, I had to do in order to get an equivalent dose of the serax, and to begin my crossover-still staying within her limits of 1 full mg).  Anyone know why she would have specified this (not doing 1/4 breaks)?  Is it dangerous?

Hi beachrose,

I have not heard that Ashton doesn't recommend quartering tablets. I have been quartering my klonopin with no problems. Good to hear you're still sleeping okay.

T2 :smitten:

I've crossed over to the Ativan, and since I have a long weekend due to the holiday, I'm planning to cut by 1/8 tonight.    (Currently taking 3/4 of 1mg, or .75).  Wish me luck everyone!  I'm kinda nervous. 

I've crossed over to the Ativan, and since I have a long weekend due to the holiday, I'm planning to cut by 1/8 tonight.    (Currently taking 3/4 of 1mg, or .75).  Wish me luck everyone!  I'm kinda nervous. 

You are going to do just fine!!

I did great today after the first cut!  :yippee: 

Any suggestions on how long to hold here before the next cut?

Thanks everyone.  It's great to not be doing this totally alone.  You all are the Best!  :thumbsup:

Hi beachrose,

Glad to hear you're feeling good! It is recommended to wait 7-14 days after each cut depending on how you are feeling.

T2 :smitten:

Hi Beachrose,

Good to hear that you taper is progressing well.

If you have made a mistake in a post, there is a 'modify' button with each of your posts. Clicking the modify button of a post will allow you to edit the contents. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
I've cut the dose again, beginning tonight.  Just took .5 mg (cut from .625 mg).  :yippee: Hoping this cut will be as successful as the last (which was my first). 

Sleeping terribly, and feeling dizzy today. But still determined to keep going. Can't wait to be off this stuff!  :tickedoff:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Just reduced down to .25 of 1 mg (ativan) tonight.  I've noticed that a bad day of w/d effects with less of this drug in me is much more tolerable than the bad days I used to have when I was at the higher dosage. I am so grateful to know this - I would not have believed it.  The encouragement I've received from members who have made it helps me tremendously.  I know that it will get better because it already is!   :thumbsup:  Thanks everyone!

Wow, you are just marching straight to the finish line, aren't you!  :yippee:  Thanks for letting us know that you are doing so well.  Gives other people hope.  This is the best news I've had today.  :thumbsup:

Thanks, Beeper.  I was so scared at first - I had been on my benzo for over 11 years.  I knew I was feeling terrible for the last 6 of those years, but never could get my doctor to provide any sort of withdrawal plan.  She would just say "people have trouble" and never came up with anything.  So I stayed on the drug thinking I was faced with something I could never be free of.  It's this forum that helped me to see hope and that there is a way off. I took the ideas I learned from this forum to her and told her how this was going to happen.  She cooperated for the most part, all with an attitude that I was not the expert, she was. But I did stuck to my guns with her.  I'm really grateful to everyone who shares their stories - it helped me to believe.  I'm actually at the point now where I feel way less anxiety - I had no idea that the drug was causing it via rebound.  I learned that here. I hope to be done by August 1 - which is also, coincidentally the date of my next appointment with my doctor.  Life is good, and those of you who say things in your posts, like "it will get better" gave me a lot of courage.  Thanks everyone!  :smitten:

PS Beeper:  Looks like you are marching right on toward the finish line, too!  :thumbsup:

Yup.  Will both have Success Stories to post very soon. Yay us!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm almost done with this stuff.  I made my final cut last night to .125 mg per day (that is before the one I make in which I will be taking 0 mgs/day).  In 7-14 days I hope to be free of this drug.  I had SO much anxiety about doing this, and it hasn't been easy, but life is better over all.  I had so much anxiety before - it's amazing that the drug I was taking to help with that problem was actually CAUSING it in between doses.  I'm MUCH less anxious today than I was when this whole process began.

Beeper - Congratulations!  I see in your signature line that you are now Benzo-Free! Hope you are feeling well.  I'm so happy for you!   :yippee:

I hoped when we didn't hear from you for a while that it meant you were not having a lot of trouble tapering and it's so good to know that is the case. 

That is really something, that you can tell you are less anxious the less ativan you have in your system.  It was the same for me after the first month or two, though other symptoms did pop up from time to time.  I found where I once posted that I wanted to crawl out of my skin.  ewww.

None of that now.  Thanks for the congrats.  I am doing pretty good, thanks for asking, and definitely relieved about finishing the taper.  Our fear about the process is often worse than what actually happens; come to think of it,  I think that's true for most new things we face in life.

We now have a Celebrations board and I look forward to you posting your Independence Day news in another week or two as another benzo bites the dust.

I'm so excited for you.  :yippee: