Valium sub

[ti...]

I am currently switching to valium from klonopin before I try a taper again.The past few days I felt better than ever, but today I feel like garbage :sick:

I don't know what to think.If it's my drop in klonopin or the valium adjustment or both.

I was taking .25 klonopin twice a day after pretty much cold turkey.It took a month to finally half way stabilize.I have been doing the valium cross with my night dosing........25 klonopin am .125 klonopin midday 2.5 valium nite.Today is the first I've felt bad after starting 4 days ago.

Any advice would help.Thanks :'(

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ti...]

• [Co...]

• [el...]

• [pa...]

There is always a bit of an adjustment when crossing over. The equivelancies aren't absolute, and you also may be feeling the klono leaving your system before the valium has fully saturated you, as klono has a shorter half life, and valium takes longer to build up. You should be feeling better in a few more days. Hang in! ;)

Thank you so much for replying.I was afraid this wasn't going to work, I didn't realize valium took awhile to build up in my system.So, the Klono is leaving more rapidly than the valium can keep up with,so to speak?

So, the Klono is leaving more rapidly than the valium can keep up with,so to speak?

You got it ;)

It will catch up in a few days.

So just say my crossover doesn't work....does that mean I'll have to wean off valium and go through the whole klonopin restabilization again?I know there isn't usually a problem, but I'm a worrier

One last question.In this crossover, am I actually going to have klonopin withdrawal or does valium take it's place so that doesn't happen?

One last question.In this crossover, am I actually going to have klonopin withdrawal or does valium take it's place so that doesn't happen?

The valium will take it's place, though you may feel  a little klono wd over next few days. I don't think it will get much worse than it is though.

I don't really want to answer your question about IF the crossover doesn't work , cuz there is no reason for it not to work! I can't say for sure though, because I personally didn't do it, so I have no direct experience. But there are other members who have done a crossover successfully, so they can answer you better! They'll be here.  ;) 

From the sounds of it, you have crossed over all in one go. Substitution should be carried out gradually, replacing part of your dose with an equivalent dose of Valium, and leaving at least a week before subsequent substitutions. Because Clonazepam has a significantly shorter half-life campared to Valium, you can expect the Clonazepam to leave your system more quickly than it will take the Valium to build up in your system. This means you might well experience some troublesome withdrawal symptoms while things settle down, but they should settle down within a week or two. Many people inadvisedly switch all in one go, and although they might suffer more in the short-term compared to those that substitute gradually, their averall progress can be expected to be very similar. Just give it some time. ;)

I.I have been doing the valium cross with my night dosing........25 klonopin am .125 klonopin midday 2.5 valium nite.

Colin, I think she is doing it in increments?

I.I have been doing the valium cross with my night dosing........25 klonopin am .125 klonopin midday 2.5 valium nite.

Colin, I think she is doing it in increments?

Ah, righty-o! I'm a useless skim-reader. :-[

Well, this still holds true. The same effects occur when switching just part of your dose - just to a lesser degree. It will settle down. ;)

Thank you so much.Through out the day it's getting worse.I will give it a chance to kick in then.I keep feeling so hopeless.I had two good days and feel myself slowly going back to hell.I was so encouraged that I would be able to handle the transition, but now this.Thank you so much for all the support.You don't know what it means

If this substitution doesn't settle down.............should I reinstate Klonopin and diresct taper?I guess we won't know til I get there(worry again).

From what I understand, Prof. Ashton observed that a small number of people find the process of switching from Clonazepam to Valium more troublesome. My understanding is that the crossovers were still completed, but required more fine tuning and patience. I think it is way too early for you to assume that you will not be able to successfully complete the crossover, but of course, if you find that you are not responding very well you can reverse this partial substitution for Valium. The thing is, you might have hit a rough patch anyway, and it is completely unconnected with substitution. I'd give it some more time, but if you do switch back, we can certainly help with a direct taper - titration will allow you to make small cuts to your Clonazepam if the need arises.

Try not to worry about this - it is about exploring the possibilities. In all probability, you will begin to adjust to the Valium soon enough.

Today has been really good.Bad headache and fatigue, but I can definatley handle that.Haven't had a huge depressive episode and can think pretty clear.I really have missed my old self.I know there's still such a long road, but if there can be days like this I will surely make it

Today has been really good.Bad headache and fatigue, but I can definatley handle that.Haven't had a huge depressive episode and can think pretty clear.I really have missed my old self.I know there's still such a long road, but if there can be days like this I will surely make it

Absolutely you will make it. No doubts.  :yippee:

I just hope I'm not making the wrong decision in switching to valium and not just tapering from klonopin.I've seen quite a few who can't switch and then I'm back to square one.Ugh.I don't think I can handle square one again

I just hope I'm not making the wrong decision in switching to valium and not just tapering from klonopin.I've seen quite a few who can't switch and then I'm back to square one.Ugh.I don't think I can handle square one again

You wouldn't be back at square one. You be back at the equivilent dose that you were on before. You wouldn't be going backward. It would be more like going sideways. ;)

I'm slightly concerned I may reach tolerance before I gat fully crossed over to valium.I have reached tolerance fairly quickly in the past.I am starting my second step in the crossover tomorrow.

Maybe I won't reach tolerance because they are 2 different drugs?If I do what should I do?Go up a little?I woke up very anxious today and can't calm down.This is what happened with tolerance before.Maybe the valium will sedate me a bit and help......Any advice?

I'm slightly concerned I may reach tolerance before I gat fully crossed over to valium.I have reached tolerance fairly quickly in the past.I am starting my second step in the crossover tomorrow.

Maybe I won't reach tolerance because they are 2 different drugs?If I do what should I do?Go up a little?I woke up very anxious today and can't calm down.This is what happened with tolerance before.Maybe the valium will sedate me a bit and help......Any advice?

Valium seem to tend to be a bit more sedating. We don't recommend going up in dose, for tolerence. The answer to tolerence is to start cutting. When I was in tolerence, I felt better when I began to make cuts.

I"m not sure, but I think you could try to make a small cut even while you are crossing over? I need to double check on that though, or maybe someone else knows if that's feasable.

Hi Tiff,

Although different benzos have slightly different weights with the different therapeutic effects, you can expect possible tolerance to occur similarly with any benzo. Try not to worry about the possibility of becoming tolerant. Just focus upon the task in hand.